kenne bell liquid cooled blowers vs non-lc w/ icey res/killer chiller

20psirabbit

Established Member
does anyone have any data on this yet? i've done some searching and found nothing, just that you shouldn't run an ac type fluid chiller through the liquid cooled kenne bells per KB.
so, if you were running let's say a 2.8h lc vs. a 2.6h with an icey res/killer chiller setup which one would have better results? on a street car, 16 or 17 psi with intake, exhaust, etc. not a built motor or cams or anything.

oldmodman

Established Member
Running the killer chiller will give you a lower intake charge temp result.

All the liquid cooling mod on the blower does is keep the temps on the front and rear bearings closer to the same. And hopefully prevent the front plate from expanding at a greater rate than the back altering the rotor timing.

Here is a link to KenneBells page. The part about LC is the last section after you scroll to the bottom.

Liquid Cooled Supercharger

Tractionless1

Established Member
Running the killer chiller will give you a lower intake charge temp result.

All the liquid cooling mod on the blower does is keep the temps on the front and rear bearings closer to the same. ..........

Exactly, the KC isn't cooling the supercharger it is cooling the air it compresses.

20psirabbit

Established Member
i guess i'm trying to figure out which route i'd be better off going. but i think the answer seems to be that performance wise you're better off with a kc and no liquid cooled blower, the lc blower temp drop from the case wouldn't be able to out do the effects of a kc on the intercooler system.
basically i'm considering going KB, but was trying to figure out if i'm better doing a kc with a 2.6h or so as opposed to a 2.8h LC with no kc.

Tifosi2003GT

Established Member
i guess i'm trying to figure out which route i'd be better off going. But i think the answer seems to be that performance wise you're better off with a kc and no liquid cooled blower, the lc blower temp drop from the case wouldn't be able to out do the effects of a kc on the intercooler system.
Basically i'm considering going kb, but was trying to figure out if i'm better doing a kc with a 2.6h or so as opposed to a 2.8h lc with no kc.

2.6 and killer chiller..

GodStang

Established Member
Nope. More of a gimmick.

You are a bit wrong on this. People are getting lower more constant IAT2s after changing to the 2.8LC. Not sure why no one talks about this but when I posted up questions on it in the past I had shops sending me PMs telling me how great it is and how much they love the ones they have installed. That is why I ended up getting it installed on my car. I am running the massive battery ice tank to have extra cooling for it.

I would say I have more data soon but I have back surgery at 6am tomorrow and will not touch my car for a few months.

Ironhand

Banned
You are a bit wrong on this. People are getting lower more constant IAT2s after changing to the 2.8LC. Not sure why no one talks about this but when I posted up questions on it in the past I had shops sending me PMs telling me how great it is and how much they love the ones they have installed. That is why I ended up getting it installed on my car. I am running the massive battery ice tank to have extra cooling for it.

I would say I have more data soon but I have back surgery at 6am tomorrow and will not touch my car for a few months.

Hence why I posted that. I want prove. Not someone sending PMs. If its that great then why dont people post about it.

I wanna see the same car with the LC being the only difference.

oldmodman

Established Member

I hope you have a good result and a quick recovery. I had my back surgery in the stone age. I was hospitalized for three months.
With today's less invasive techniques you should be home in three or four days.

Teej281

Established Member
Performance wise, the KC will give cooler intake temps. Why not get a 2.8LC and throw a killer chiller under it. You'll get the cooler-running blower as well as a much more efficient intercooler setup. Or is there not a separate coolant system from the intercooler to the LC blower?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Performance wise, the KC will give cooler intake temps. Why not get a 2.8LC and throw a killer chiller under it. You'll get the cooler-running blower as well as a much more efficient intercooler setup. Or is there not a separate coolant system from the intercooler to the LC blower?

Right there is where this thing screams dedicated track only drag car blower to me.

Where is this LC coolant supposed to be coming from?

It appears to me either a no ice/no KC intercooler system or they want you to run a 160 thermostat and use ENGINE COOLANT!
Scroll to the bottom-> Liquid Cooled Supercharger

Good luck with that on a car that is ever going to see a stop sign or red light.

I am not trying to bash an obvious GREAT BLOWER but on a street strip car where the heck is this cooling fluid going to come from if you want the lowest I/C temps possible and also low case temps?

I would rather have a super cooled intercooler rather than try to cool the compressed air with only the proximity cooling of the case and rotors trying to cool the air while the rotors at the same time are also compressing and therefore heating the air.

Actually a KC and an LC would be pretty damn awesome but to do it right IMHO, on a street car you would pretty much need a third stand alone cooling system just for the case cooling.
After you think about that possibility a little while, you have to analyse the power gain against the weight gain to see if it's a gain, a wash or a loss.

The idea of using engine coolant for the LC and that a 160 degree T-stat is going to keep the same coolant that is shared with the engine, actually cool enough to do any possible good---> ON AN 03/04 COBRA :lol: is bordering on comical to me.

Oh yea lets just put a 160 stat in it and it will totally run right at 160 all freaking day long!!! :dw::nonono:

Um NO!:lol::rollseyes

Come on now please.

Last edited:

racebronco2

Established Member
The kb case cooling is separate from the cobra intercooling system. You can run a kc and a liquid cooled kb for the best cooling possibly. KB does not want you to run ice or any other cooling for the blower except for ambient cooled coolant.

How are you planning on getting the car hooked up on the street?

Teej281

Established Member
That doesnt seem like its the case from what I just read in the link supplied by Jimmy. If you could rig up a different system to cool the blower and then keep the KC with the stock IC system, that would be a beautiful thing.

20psirabbit

Established Member
How are you planning on getting the car hooked up on the street?

I'll end up going to a wider wheel with a 315 or 335 stickier tire. And it is a street car, which is why I'm trying to figure this out. I'm only going to run 15psi or so on the street which is why I don't want to end up with too much blower. The 2.8h LC is just under $4k, so if I don't need it I don't want to bother, I'd rather just do a 2.6h with a kc or maybe even just a ported eaton with a kc. The main problem is I haven't had a ride in a twin screw or a ported eaton car to judge for myself. I acclimate to horsepower entirely too quickly, then again, I don't want a car that can't hook for three gears on the street haha.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I'll end up going to a wider wheel with a 315 or 335 stickier tire. And it is a street car, which is why I'm trying to figure this out. I'm only going to run 15psi or so on the street which is why I don't want to end up with too much blower. The 2.8h LC is just under $4k, so if I don't need it I don't want to bother, I'd rather just do a 2.6h with a kc or maybe even just a ported eaton with a kc. The main problem is I haven't had a ride in a twin screw or a ported eaton car to judge for myself. I acclimate to horsepower entirely too quickly, then again, I don't want a car that can't hook for three gears on the street haha.

Is there a reason that you can share, why a 2.3 Whipple is not on your shopping list?

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Hence why I posted that. I want prove. Not someone sending PMs. If its that great then why dont people post about it.

I wanna see the same car with the LC being the only difference.

Tracy's (racerat) Cobra has seen dramatically reduced IATs. The case is also physically cooler to the touch after a hard pull than before with the nonLC blower. There's proof for you. Car was datalogged before and after the LC conversion on our dyno.

The kb case cooling is separate from the cobra intercooling system. You can run a kc and a liquid cooled kb for the best cooling possibly. KB does not want you to run ice or any other cooling for the blower except for ambient cooled coolant.

Nope, the LC system uses the same coolant and pump as tne intercooler. KB warns against icing the system because the temp drop plays with the drive gear clearances. If you want to ice down the IC/HX, then they tell you to splice the LC lines into the radiator hoses.

Been there, done that, here's your proof not heresay. Tracy's car has had a 2.2, 2.6, 2.8 Mammoth, and now a 2.8 Mammoth LC on it. I've installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled them all. Without doubt I will recommend the LC series blowers if anyone asks.

-Tim

Users who are viewing this thread