Kenne Bell 3.6 LC makes 950whp on mostly stock '13

rdsnk46

Established Member
Isnt the motor they tested it on a bulit engine by L&M or did they use the stock engine? Possibly higher compression...

I'm unsure if they put all the stock parts on the built motor or the stock motor.

mike69440

Established Member
Best Blower, let's see a compressor map.

I don't believe the KB needs only 80 HP vs the TVS 150 HP at same boost / engine RPM Even a belt drive centrifugal turbo is not that efficient. KB may be aroud 105 HP.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I don't believe the KB needs only 80 HP vs the TVS 150 HP at same boost / engine RPM Even a belt drive centrifugal turbo is not that efficient. KB may be aroud 105 HP.

I think you research twin screw superchargers a little more. Heres a start fo you:

Kenne Bell 3.6L Twin Screw - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

and

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/m5lp_0906_gt500_supercharger_tests/throttle_body.html

and those articles are 2 to 3 years old.

Last edited:

mike69440

Established Member
Parasitic losses and blower eff.

I think you research twin screw superchargers a little more. Heres a start fo you:

Kenne Bell 3.6L Twin Screw - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

and

Mustang GT500 Supercharger Tests - Throttle Body - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

and those articles are 2 to 3 years old.

Thanks for the links:

From Mustang 5.0 Article
All these ideas sound good on paper, but would all of the improvements equate to more power? To find out, we ran a series of back-to-back tests using a Shelby GT500 Super Snake comparing the 2.8L H and the new 3.6L. The first test was actually performed by Kenne Bell on its blower dyno. Running both blowers at identical boost (24 psi) levels demonstrated that the 3.6L require just 177 hp to spin compared to 217 hp for the 2.8L.

Read more: Kenne Bell 3.6L Twin Screw - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Sure if you drive the TVS off its compressor map, there can be 70-80 HP difference in power, but a TVS has similar eff to a TS apples for apples.

ybnorml

Established Member
I took a video of this thing idling this past weekend. It sounds almost like my old S-Trim. Watching every run it made, I was a little disappointed, although my expectations were very high. I know the power was there, they just couldn't get this thing to make a perfect pass which was frustrating. I have a feeling an automatic will be in the tunnel in the near future. I really hope not, but I see it..:bored:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Thanks for the links:

From Mustang 5.0 Article
All these ideas sound good on paper, but would all of the improvements equate to more power? To find out, we ran a series of back-to-back tests using a Shelby GT500 Super Snake comparing the 2.8L H and the new 3.6L. The first test was actually performed by Kenne Bell on its blower dyno. Running both blowers at identical boost (24 psi) levels demonstrated that the 3.6L require just 177 hp to spin compared to 217 hp for the 2.8L.

Read more: Kenne Bell 3.6L Twin Screw - Muscle Mustangs & Fast Fords Magazine

Sure if you drive the TVS off its compressor map, there can be 70-80 HP difference in power, but a TVS has similar eff to a TS apples for apples.

In the Nov 12 Issue of MM & FF (article not available on line yet) they put a KB 3.6L on a bone stock 13 GT500. Dyno'd bone stock was 603 rwhp. (15psi Boost). Dyno'd with KB = 801 rwhp (20psi boost).

So your telling me that 5psi increase in boost = 198 rwhp? I don't think so! If that was true we all could just do an upper and lower pulley swap for 800 rwhp. Where does all that extra hp come from? I would love to know that.

Last edited:

SIRLOIN

Established Member
So your telling me that 5psi increase in boost = 198 rwhp? I don't think so! If that was true we all could just do an upper and lower pulley swap for 800 rwhp. Where does all that extra hp come from? I would love to know that.

5 psi more in boost from a much larger and much more efficient blower. Doesn't sound too far fetched to me...:shrug:

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
5 psi more in boost from a much larger and much more efficient blower. Doesn't sound too far fetched to me...:shrug:

I completely agree with you. I am just saying a large portion of the HP increase comes from the efficiency increase, It take 70 less HP to drive the KB than the stock TVS. 5psi increase in boost equals about 125 HP at this level.

flyby763

Established Member
In the Nov 12 Issue of MM & FF (article not available on line yet) they put a KB 3.6L on a bone stock 13 GT500. Dyno'd bone stock was 603 rwhp. (15psi Boost). Dyno'd with KB = 801 rwhp (20psi boost).

Added efficiency of the KB and the extra 1.3L of air being compressed at 5 psi more than the TVS.

blackshelby

A few points to consider.
The KB I am sure has a larger CAI added , a TB plus a tune. So it is really not fair to compare the TVS with all the stock components and tune.(603hp rating)
If you added those parts to the TVS without upping boost you would be around the same 675.(saying the KB would make that at 15psi from above post) .
At those levels I really doubt the KB will match the torque curve or the average HP curve of the TVS.
I feel you will not see that KB shine unless your above 20psi
I keep seeing here the KB is more efficient, at 20 plus PSI yes I can see it but below 20psi I really doubt it.
The TVS compressor map clearly shows it is done at 20psi .
Without real data to back those claims that is just hear say.
Unless there are compressors maps and some real data that can be compared, I do not believe that to be true at this time.

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The highlighted part above is correct!
Unfortunatey and embarassing to say, I fall in this category!

There seems to be more than meets the eye on this one!!

Guess I am not getting 900HP from just a KB bigger blower!
And even if I did it wouldn't be stable! DAMN IT!!!

NO MODS NO MODS NO MODS!!

You need to come west to Mcallen and give me a ride on your Shelby:banana:

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I took a video of this thing idling this past weekend. It sounds almost like my old S-Trim. Watching every run it made, I was a little disappointed, although my expectations were very high. I know the power was there, they just couldn't get this thing to make a perfect pass which was frustrating. I have a feeling an automatic will be in the tunnel in the near future. I really hope not, but I see it..:bored:

How does the 5.8 itself sound compared to a 5.4 or a 4.6? Haha, I swear, out of all the articles ive read, none of them have compared the sound of a 5.8 to the other modular motors.

Users who are viewing this thread