Kenne Bell 3.6 LC makes 950whp on mostly stock '13

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
Has anyone seen the article in the latest issue of 5.0 mustangs and super fords?

It's the same one that made 750ish whp with basic bolt ons, longtubes, exhaust, OD pulley, smaller blower pulley, TB, and other bits and pieces.

They put the car back to stock, except the longtubes, and installed the KB 3.6 LC. They also kept the OD crank pulley so they could use a larger blower pulley for more belt wrap/less slip, but could have made the same amount of boost with a stock crank pulley and smaller blower pulley, so that mod is basically moot. But it does let them spin the blower faster if they choose to go with the smallest blower pulley they make for the KB.

Unreal!

Although the issue is published, the article isn't posted online yet. But here's a little taste.

our-december-2012-issue-hits-newsstands-today.jpg

What do you guys think? Best blower you can buy? Or is there something better such as a whipple 4.0 or even a KB 4.2? Or other ideas?

Homer

rwboring

Established Member
Has anyone seen the article in the latest issue of 5.0 mustangs and super fords?

It's the same one that made 750ish whp with basic bolt ons, longtubes, exhaust, OD pulley, smaller blower pulley, TB, and other bits and pieces.

They put the car back to stock, except the longtubes, and installed the KB 3.6 LC. They also kept the OD crank pulley so they could use a larger blower pulley for more belt wrap/less slip, but could have made the same amount of boost with a stock crank pulley and smaller blower pulley, so that mod is basically moot. But it does let them spin the blower faster if they choose to go with the smallest blower pulley they make for the KB.

Unreal!

Although the issue is published, the article isn't posted online yet. But here's a little taste.

What do you guys think? Best blower you can buy? Or is there something better such as a whipple 4.0 or even a KB 4.2? Or other ideas?

Homer

They are selling this car and the list of mods includes a short block from what I read... the for sale thread has all that in it!

Yellow Horse

Established Member
Wow.

I was going to get my bottom end built this fall but put the money into an F250 instead. I dropped my hopes from 900 rwhp with a built bottom end to 750 with the stock bottom end.

Are the rods the same on the 2013 as a 2010?

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Wow.

I was going to get my bottom end built this fall but put the money into an F250 instead. I dropped my hopes from 900 rwhp with a built bottom end to 750 with the stock bottom end.

Are the rods the same on the 2013 as a 2010?

No.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I am seriously thinking of doing this, this winter. Last months MM & SF mag did the same thing to a bone stock GT500 and made 800 RWHP. I want to see how long these 2 engines last like this before I commit. Kenne Bell people have assured me that the engine can handle 850 RWHP with no internal mods.

peteypab2133

Established Member
I am seriously thinking of doing this, this winter. Last months MM & SF mag did the same thing to a bone stock GT500 and made 800 RWHP. I want to see how long these 2 engines last like this before I commit. Kenne Bell people have assured me that the engine can handle 850 RWHP with no internal mods.

that sure would be interesting. Just tossing a KB 3.6 on the car and exhaust tune and plugs and the thing will make that easy. Only concern is tick tick time bomb or not.

Also what will the stock clutch handle? Keep in mind some will track it and run 9's others will just dyno and do highway pulls.

blackshelby

Unreal!

Homer

Great upgrade if you have a built bottom end.
Great Power for sure.
Stock bottom end........ as a bolt on, better get your catcher’s mitt out .
I see this very misleading to people the way it is stated.
They feel they can bolt this on and away someone can go with the stock setup and expect it to live long?
Great for a dyno pull or two but beyond that, it is nothing more than a timebomb waiting to go off.

Last edited:

rancid

Established Member
I am reading the article on my iphone so it is hard to follow. At one point in the article they mention swapping back to stock parts but then talk about the upgraded throttle body, CAI kit, and supporting mods to get the car where it went with the addition of the KB unless I am missing something here. They also added a KB boost-a-pump as Lund was saying the pretty much maxes the fuel delivery system at 790rwhp.

Very impressive, can't believe the interior was basically stock minus the roll cage. If people can figure out how to get the weight down on these cars they will be absolute monsters.

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
Great Power.
I see this very misleading to people the way this is stated.
They feel they can bolt this on and away someone can go with the stock setup and expect it to live long?
Great for a dyno pull or two but beyond that, it is nothing more than a timebomb waiting to go off.

The people at Kenne Bell explained it to me like this:

The 3.6 LC at 800 RWHP, is not putting much more stress on the engine than if you we're doing 725 RWHP with the stock blower + bolt on mods. The 3.6 is using less than 80 engine horsepower to turn the blower VS 150 for the stock blower. So you are gaining 70 hp from this efficiency alone.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member

The 3.6 LC at 800 RWHP, is not putting much more stress on the engine than if you we're doing 725 RWHP with the stock blower + bolt on mods. The 3.6 is using less than 80 engine horsepower to turn the blower VS 150 for the stock blower. So you are gaining 70 hp from this efficiency alone.

That's an expensive 75hp though.

peteypab2133

Established Member
That's an expensive 75hp though.

I agree. But, with an extra $400-500 for the rods you can get 200hp or more I am assuming.

I would not put the KB on my car unless I put rods in it.

I would find it a waste to toss it on there for 800rwhp if I could do long tubes, tune, xpipe, pullies and a few other things and be around 725-750 Same money will be spent i guess.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Yea for me, to be safe if I was going the route of a big blower I would be building the engine from the bottom up. However thats not in my plans so, bolt-ons it is for me!

Iceman5000

Speedfreak
Established Member
I agree. But, with an extra $400-500 for the rods you can get 200hp or more I am assuming.

I would not put the KB on my car unless I put rods in it.

I would find it a waste to toss it on there for 800rwhp if I could do long tubes, tune, xpipe, pullies and a few other things and be around 725-750 Same money will be spent i guess.

I would like to know how you could change rods for $400-$500, lol!

peteypab2133

Established Member
eagles on the 5.4 were like $570-600 and Manley's were like $620+-

Cost from a tuner would be closer to to $500-550 on either..

If you have to pay labor, I am sorry you were correct your talking maybe 4 or 5 hours @ 80+-$

Double edit. I come from the land of 4 bangers. When I got my Manley turbo tuffs they were $800.00 and I got them for like $515 from my buddy who ran a shop. Can install from top or bottom pretty easy on an EVO. Assuming things are a quite bit different here lol

Last edited:

blackshelby

Interesting.
Is it possible ............. yes maybe.......
Need real data.....
What speed, boost, etc. both are really at.
Would also be great to compare the compressor maps of both blowers.

My feelings still remains the same, at that level with the stock internals it is a time bomb just waiting to explode.

Last edited:

662HP631TQ

Established Member
Great Power for sure.
I see this very misleading to people the way it is stated.

The highlighted part above is correct!
Unfortunatey and embarassing to say, I fall in this category!

There seems to be more than meets the eye on this one!!

Guess I am not getting 900HP from just a KB bigger blower!
And even if I did it wouldn't be stable! DAMN IT!!!

NO MODS NO MODS NO MODS!!

Users who are viewing this thread