kenne bell 2.8LC mammouth or VMP tvs 2300

Joey8

Established Member
Thinking about going for a blower in the near future and was wondering what you guys would get. I'm pretty set on a roots style blower. I just love the instant torque and the whine. I was thinking about going the TT route but i hear installation can get expensive quick and I really can't part ways with my longtubes as stupid as that may sound. Anyways which one would you guys go with between the kennebell 2.8LC mammouth kit or VMP's tvs blower. I like the fact that the mammouth is liquid cooled, however i watched a video on installation and it seems like there is some cutting involved what it comes to getting the cold air intake in the lower left bumper area. It doesn't seem like its anything earth shattering but it still. I plan to keep my motor stock until something goes pop then ill build it. It seems like plenty of guys are safely making 550-575 on the stock bottom end so i'll wait on building the block for now. So lets hear it, what would you guys get!?

kingnut

Established Member
Based on your requirements either will work. For every 1 guy that has a KB there is probably 50 with the roush/vmp. KB is gonna put down more power on a built motor.

Joey8

Established Member
Based on your requirements either will work. For every 1 guy that has a KB there is probably 50 with the roush/vmp. KB is gonna put down more power on a built motor.

Good point. I know the kenne bell is "more rare" then the roush/vmp kit. Even when/if i build my motor I don't think i'll ever want or need for that matter more then 650rwhp. THen again, i say that now so who knows what will happen a few months from now. I just watched some youtube videos of hellion TT 5.0s and god those things sound amazing. Is the installation that tricky? and what about the reliability of a TT kit,:shrug: being that my mustang is currently a DD but that is going to end when i find a good deal on an explorer...

Joey8

Established Member
Here's some whine for ya!

[youtube_browser]Qw1mf5Z0ofQ[/youtube_browser]

That is incredible. I think that sounds so bada$$. I'm assuming thats your car? Who tuned it and all that jazz. How was install etc etc.

Just depends on your goals/budget. At least with the VMP kit you will have one of the best in the business tuning it

Will Justin not tune a kenne bell? I have his 93 tune now and its killer. I could only imagine what he could do with a blower.

Doug1227

Established Member
Yeah, it's mine. I was on the fence between the two kits as well. What sold me was the upside for when I go big. I plan on eventually building a motor and I think the 2.8 will be more capable. I really like Justin and VMP and even asked him if he would tune it, but he won't. I installed it myself and it probably took me a good 20 hours. It was tuned by HPP in Lewisville, Tx. The install is more elaborate than a TVS, but nothing out of control. I tore into mine on a Thursday morning and it was installed and tuned on Monday. I DD it and like it a lot. It's been 134mph in the 1/4 on E85.

Joey8

Established Member
Yeah, it's mine. I was on the fence between the two kits as well. What sold me was the upside for when I go big. I plan on eventually building a motor and I think the 2.8 will be more capable. I really like Justin and VMP and even asked him if he would tune it, but he won't. I installed it myself and it probably took me a good 20 hours. It was tuned by HPP in Lewisville, Tx. The install is more elaborate than a TVS, but nothing out of control. I tore into mine on a Thursday morning and it was installed and tuned on Monday. I DD it and like it a lot. It's been 134mph in the 1/4 on E85.

wow im surprised he wouldn't tune it. I'm in nj and theres a couple quality well known shops around here known for mustangs so i guess tuning isnt a huge factor. You don't happen to be that guy on youtube that has an awesome video documenting him installing the kenne bell, its like 48 minutes or something if i remember correctly?

EDIT: whered you buy the kit from? and did it come with injectors a radiator and all the necessary bits and pieces?

5.0_KenneB

Established Member
To be honest with you if you like whine of the blower I would go with the TVS.....it whines a lot louder than the kenne bell I can't hear my blower over my exhaust and it wasn't very loud at 10psi... But it also comes down to personal preference and what your future goals are with car.

Joey8

Established Member
To be honest with you if you like whine of the blower I would go with the TVS.....it whines a lot louder than the kenne bell I can't hear my blower over my exhaust and it wasn't very loud at 10psi... But it also comes down to personal preference and what your future goals are with car.

Interesting point. I think I can achieve 700+rwhp which will be plenty for me when I decide to build my motor. I like the fact that the kenne bell is liquid cooled and power capabilities and I like the fact of that the vmp tvs comes from well, vmp and all that they have to offer. Tough decision :??:

Doug1227

Established Member
No, that's not me. I guess it's his competition. Lund can tune it. I actually bought my kit used with less than 1000 miles on it. Just found a great deal. There are a couple of shops that sell a package deal on them. None come with a different radiator. Just head unit, intercooler, heat exchanger, injectors, etc.

wow im surprised he wouldn't tune it. I'm in nj and theres a couple quality well known shops around here known for mustangs so i guess tuning isnt a huge factor. You don't happen to be that guy on youtube that has an awesome video documenting him installing the kenne bell, its like 48 minutes or something if i remember correctly?

EDIT: whered you buy the kit from? and did it come with injectors a radiator and all the necessary bits and pieces?

Joey8

Established Member
No, that's not me. I guess it's his competition. Lund can tune it. I actually bought my kit used with less than 1000 miles on it. Just found a great deal. There are a couple of shops that sell a package deal on them. None come with a different radiator. Just head unit, intercooler, heat exchanger, injectors, etc.

You can't go wrong with either one....

Thats what i meant an intercooler, long day at work haha. Yeah I know whichever route I go ill be happy and have a quick 11 second car. Decisions Decisions.

BMR Tech

We are extremely pleased with our VMP TVS.

I also run the VMP TVS on my Cobra.

They are excellent pieces, and Justin/Crew are top notch.

burke985

Established Member
Will Justin not tune a kenne bell? I have his 93 tune now and its killer. I could only imagine what he could do with a blower.[/QUOTE said:
I could imagine he could but he specializes in his kits. what are your long term goals because if you know for a fact that you are gonna build the motor then its probably worth paying the extra money for the bigger head unit. But if you plan on keeping the motor stock then the VMP tvs or the Roush TVS will work perfectly

Last edited:

Joey8

Established Member
I could imagine he could but he specializes in his kits. what are your long term goals because if you know for a fact that you are gonna build the motor then its probably worth paying the extra money for the bigger head unit. But if you plan on keeping the motor stock then the VMP tvs or the Rouush TVS will work perfectly

Point taken. But couldn't I get 750rwhp with a built motor running a vmp tvs if i even wanted to go that high :burnout:. I mean im not trying to shatter records over here but couldn't i just get a smaller pulley and turn up the boost as the motor permits. Basically what im saying is is that the vmp tvs IS capable of making 700+ you just need a motor to handle it right?

Doug1227

Established Member
A 2.8/2.9 will make about 5#'s more boost on the same size pulley as a 2.3. Yes, you can make 700rwhp with a 2.3. I think about 15 #'s is the most a tvs can make for now. They list their boss at 750rwhp. The KB is good for closer to 850 or so.

burke985

Established Member
Point taken. But couldn't I get 750rwhp with a built motor running a vmp tvs if i even wanted to go that high :burnout:. I mean im not trying to shatter records over here but couldn't i just get a smaller pulley and turn up the boost as the motor permits. Basically what im saying is is that the vmp tvs IS capable of making 700+ you just need a motor to handle it right?

Oh yeah , a friend of mine just made 650 rwhp with a roush Stage 3 Kit which comes with an 80mm Pulley and Roush CAI. I imagine the VMP kits with the ported elbow ,Bigger TB and better injectors would make more with the same setup. But you really dont wanna go over 650 on the stock block ,its kinda rule of thumb i guess or that is what i was always told when i asked

Joey8

Established Member
A 2.8/2.9 will make about 5#'s more boost on the same size pulley as a 2.3. Yes, you can make 700rwhp with a 2.3. I think about 15 #'s is the most a tvs can make for now. They list their boss at 750rwhp. The KB is good for closer to 850 or so.

Damn those are some crazy numbers 850rwhp must be close to 1000hp crank. What would be an absolute monster haha

Oh yeah , a friend of mine just made 650 rwhp with a roush Stage 3 Kit which comes with an 80mm Pulley and Roush CAI. I imagine the VMP kits with the ported elbow ,Bigger TB and better injectors would make more with the same setup. But you really dont wanna go over 650 on the stock block ,its kinda rule of thumb i guess or that is what i was always told when i asked

yeah I would never go crazy with boost when im running the stock bottom end thats for sure.

Users who are viewing this thread