keep the cobra or sell it and get a 2013 Subaru STI?

DR_DOOM_SVT

Established Member
Ok guys I need your opinion on wether to keep the cobra or sell it and get a 2013 Subaru sti. I finally have the cobra the way I always wanted (mods), the problem is I rarely rarely drive it, car berly hit 24k miles. I have two kids (5 year old and 6 months) and its hard for me to take them out in that car.

The thing is I don't appreciate (drive) the car like it should be, if I get an sti I can drive that thing anywhere with my kids in it and would still be a fun drive. I don't like evos and don't want a v8.

So my question should I sell cobra and get a new sti?

DR_DOOM_SVT

Established Member
Need help!

Here's a few pics of my car, car has ccw classics on right now. (Bright brushed anodized)

mere2yte.jpg

ruqyzege.jpg

epa2uvyq.jpg

NewDuuude

Established Member
Well even though you don't drive it as much, i just think about the rarity factor of the terminators over other cars, not "rare" but limited production

Blaine

Established Member
STI just screams RICE. They are nice cars, but I out grew that look about 20 years ago. To make it even worse.. the STI even gets crappier MPG with far less HP.

If I was going to buy any Subaru.. it would be a WRX non STI since they have less of the teenage flashy look.

4 Door Fast family cars...... CTS-V, Charger SRT8, M5,.....

In Summary... DON'T DO IT. You'll regret it later. Look at my car list.. I'm going back to a 04 Cobra. I told my wife that its time to stop having kids when: THE FAMILY CANT FIT IN A MUSTANG if we have any more.

Last edited:

IA Shelby

Established Member
I applaud you for looking at a vehicle that is more appropriate for your current stage of life.

Family should always come first. You will have to decide what vehicle best meets your needs now. The cobra clearly doesn't so I would sell it and not think twice.

That being said I would not go for a STI. Maybe a SHO, Charger or something similar. Might even consider an older M5 or CTS-V sedan.

Good luck. Take care of the kids. Some day they will be taking care of you!

Spend as much time as you can with them. You don't want to be the inspiration for a remake of "Cats in the Cradle".

Last edited:

nextime

Termi? Read Signature
Established Member
If you have to ask and put up a thread dedicated to asking about keeping the Cobra go buy the Subaru and hang out with Uncle Ben!

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
When your kids get old enough to understand things, they are going to look back at pictures and be like "don't you wish you still had that one?" I do it all the time with my dad.

71catruck

Established Member
Don't sell it man. My dad had a 67 chevelle ss with a 396 and he got ride of it when I was born. I still give him crap for it. Ye it might be hard for a carseat in the back of the cobra I have done it. But your kids will spend more time out of a carseat then they will in one.

Comp04svt

Established Member
Ive owned an 08 STI as a DD. It was stage 2+ with a bunch of suspension mods also. I ended up selling it, and bought an 09 G8 GT for my DD. I would never even consider selling my cobra for a STI, but I would love to own another subie, I miss the STI a lot, but I would most likely end up with a WRX before I got another STI. The main reason I got rid of that car was because of the insurance. When I say it was expensive, thats an understatement. Triple what my cobra was, and was even way more expensive than my 09 R1.

But on the other hand if you could only have one, the subie is way more practical for the kids and what not, and if you get a hatch, you can haul a ton of crap. The subie was by far the most fun car ive ever owned, it is just an all around fun car that does pretty much everything well out of the box.

DR_DOOM_SVT

Established Member
STI just screams RICE. They are nice cars, but I out grew that look about 20 years ago. To make it even worse.. the STI even gets crappier MPG with far less HP.

If I was going to buy any Subaru.. it would be a WRX non STI since they have less of the teenage flashy look.

4 Door Fast family cars...... CTS-V, Charger SRT8, M5,.....

In Summary... DON'T DO IT. You'll regret it later. Look at my car list.. I'm going back to a 04 Cobra. I told my wife that its time to stop having kids when: THE FAMILY CANT FIT IN A MUSTANG if we have any more.
Good points Blaine! Don't really want another v8 even though I work 15 minutes away from home. I would prefer a standard sedan, I think either the WRX or STI are the perfect candidates for it.
I applaud you for looking at a vehicle that is more appropriate for your current stage of life.

Family should always come first. You will have to decide what vehicle best meets your needs now. The cobra clearly doesn't so I would sell it and not think twice.

That being said I would not go for a STI. Maybe a SHO, Charger or something similar. Might even consider an older M5 or CTS-V sedan.

Good luck. Take care of the kids. Some day they will be taking care of you!

Spend as much time as you can with them. You don't want to be the inspiration for a remake of "Cats in the Cradle".
That is one of the saddest songs or might be the saddest. I think cat Stevens sings it. Anyway, this is my second cobra I got it because I missed my first cobra. I am also buying a house and would rather have a sedan. I want a manual sedan that is fun to drive.
Well even though you don't drive it as much, i just think about the rarity factor of the terminators over other cars, not "rare" but limited production
True NewDuuude but I don't really care about rarity as much as I used to.
Keep it and get a DD.
I thought about it DSG. I just want to get a fun DD and still have a nice car and I think the sti would satisfy my craving and will be able to fit everyone in it.

DR_DOOM_SVT

Established Member
Ive owned an 08 STI as a DD. It was stage 2+ with a bunch of suspension mods also. I ended up selling it, and bought an 09 G8 GT for my DD. I would never even consider selling my cobra for a STI, but I would love to own another subie, I miss the STI a lot, but I would most likely end up with a WRX before I got another STI. The main reason I got rid of that car was because of the insurance. When I say it was expensive, thats an understatement. Triple what my cobra was, and was even way more expensive than my 09 R1.

But on the other hand if you could only have one, the subie is way more practical for the kids and what not, and if you get a hatch, you can haul a ton of crap. The subie was by far the most fun car ive ever owned, it is just an all around fun car that does pretty much everything well out of the box.

Hey redfire, yea that's te main reason I want the Subaru, it seems like it would be a fun DD and it will be practical with the kids. I would leave it 100% stock though. Would you recommend the WRX or STI? and why? I'm
Planning to get it 0 miles. Your input well be greatly appreciated.

DR_DOOM_SVT

Established Member
Don't sell it man. My dad had a 67 chevelle ss with a 396 and he got ride of it when I was born. I still give him crap for it. Ye it might be hard for a carseat in the back of the cobra I have done it. But your kids will spend more time out of a carseat then they will in one.

Haha nice! I would hate to put a car seat In the cobra though. I am very anal when it comes to the cobra. If it would be the Subaru I honestly wouldn't care.

jdh1213

2.8 Kenne Bell
Established Member
We currently have two Subaru's as DD's and love them. Plan on getting a WRX next year, but would never sell my Cobra to get one. Get another DD until finances afford the WRX and still keep the Cobra. Sold my '67 Fastback years ago and been kicking myself ever since.

Comp04svt

Established Member
Hey redfire, yea that's te main reason I want the Subaru, it seems like it would be a fun DD and it will be practical with the kids. I would leave it 100% stock though. Would you recommend the WRX or STI? and why? I'm
Planning to get it 0 miles. Your input well be greatly appreciated.

For me I would do the WRX because:

1. Transmission gearing of the 5 speed isnt as steep. Better gas mileage, and you dont have to shift as much, meaning ive seen some bolt on wrx's faster than bolt on sti's because of the gearing. Only negative is, the five speed isnt as stong as the 6, and you dont get the DCCD center diff.

2. Insurance is way cheaper.

3. The new ones have the STI body kit anyways, just not the wheels and brembo brakes. But I think you can buy a premium WRX and still get the HID's now.

Thats just me though, having owned the STI, I would go with the WRX just for the above reasons..Ive driven both, but the WRX I feel would be a better DD

Honaker10

OLD MAN STATUS
Established Member
What about an 07/08ish 335ix? Decent mileage, awd, plus you can throw an intake and tuner on it and run with intake, tuned cobras and coyotes. I'm pretty sure they are reliable as far as a dd.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
have you seen the new chevy SS? there pretty sweet looking and they come in a stick along with the LS3!

Users who are viewing this thread