KB 1.7l for a 99/01 Cobra?

Taz

Established Member
white99gt said:
Ive warned many guys just like you said.First why would you even think of a 2.2 on a stock motor.Just a waste of a good motor.

But a built motor witha 2.2 hold on its GREAT..I went from a vortech setup making 621rwhp (18psi) to a KB 2.2 setup (15 psi) ..I love the setup a LOT better.
Gas mileage for me is great 18+ like it was before.

Even though mine is a 2v .I think its awesome kit even though its more expensive.It is well worth the extra money spent.

I like that expression. Mind if I borrow it from time to time? "... a waste of a good motor." Great phrase. And that 2.2 sounds like a real kick!

:thumbsup:

My long-term plan involves eventually stepping up to a 2.2L, but not until my stock block gets tired and needs a rebuild. Since the car sees only about 3K miles per year, rebuild time is hopefully still a few years away. Meanwhile I'm working on building a bulletproof drivetrain from the flywheel back and concentrating on other aspects of the car's performance. (Gotta squander my automotive allowance somehow!)

BTW, even with the bigger KB, you're getting better mileage than I am. But then I always did have a lead foot, and I've never been shy about using it. LOL

T-

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
What will an intercooled 1.7 KB put down for Hp/Tq on a forged 8.5CR New Edge Cobra if you pulley down...?

whats the max PSI out of the 1.7...?....14 PSI if I'm reading right...?

both questions above just part of my F/I learning, liking this kit a lot and car will only be street driven on pump gas...want to obviously blow first then forge...

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:
What will an intercooled 1.7 KB put down for Hp/Tq on a forged 8.5CR New Edge Cobra if you pulley down...?

both questions above just part of my F/I learning, liking this kit a lot and car will only be street driven on pump gas...want to obviously blow first then forge...

I dunno but i am currently saving up funds for a forged bottom end and shooting for a 9.0CR and uppping the boost to MAX for the 1.7 I called Al Papitto and he told me he could do the build in spring 06

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
themadgmkillr said:

I would think that a 1.7 intercooled kit with a 8.5:1 motor at 14psi should see 500rwhp or right under that.

Taz

Established Member
themadgmkillr said:

I don't have the blower map for the KB 1.7L to give you a really good estimate regarding max boost for the KB, but I DO have the map for a smaller, 1.6L Lysholm LYS1600A, and it looks like you could get 15 psi boost from even that head unit if you're willing to run it fairly hard. The KB 1.7L will "probably" give you 17 psi if you want to flog it, but that would require spinning the little thing up pretty close to its max rated RPM.

I doubt I'd try to get more than about 15 psi boost from the KB 1.7. (For boost levels above that, I'd swap to the 2.2L.) Also, to avoid risking nasty belt slippage with the 1.7L, even at 15 psi boost, I'd run a bigger crank pulley (7.5", instead of the stock 6.5") rather than a really tiny blower snout pulley.

As for power, considering I'm seeing close to 450 RWHP and 400 lb-ft of torque at 9 psi boost (actually 8.5) on a stock 9.85:1 C/R motor, I'd expect to see between 550 and 580 HP at 15 psi boost on a forged motor sporting a static C/R of 9.2:1. (Personally, I won't drop below 9.2 on a car that's primarily street-driven.) You'd probably see somewhere around 500-520 RWHP on a motor with a C/R of 8.5:1. That's for a motor with stock displacement - no increased bore and no extra stroke, stock cams, and unported heads.

T-

white99gt

Established Member
Taz said:
I like that expression. Mind if I borrow it from time to time? "... a waste of a good motor." Great phrase. And that 2.2 sounds like a real kick!

:thumbsup:

My long-term plan involves eventually stepping up to a 2.2L, but not until my stock block gets tired and needs a rebuild. Since the car sees only about 3K miles per year, rebuild time is hopefully still a few years away. Meanwhile I'm working on building a bulletproof drivetrain from the flywheel back and concentrating on other aspects of the car's performance. (Gotta squander my automotive allowance somehow!)

BTW, even with the bigger KB, you're getting better mileage than I am. But then I always did have a lead foot, and I've never been shy about using it. LOL

T-

No problem use the phrase anytime. :-D .

Yea my setup gets pretty good gas mileage if i keep my foot out of it.
Foot in it, forget about gas mileage LOL.

Users who are viewing this thread