KB 1.7l for a 99/01 Cobra?

JebTonkin

That's what she said.....
Established Member
Does anyone have this setup, I hope to buy one by this winter. I want the intercooled version. I just want to know what you guys thought about this kit. If someone has it can they please post some pics.
Heres a link-KB 1.7l

Taz

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Does anyone have this setup, I hope to buy one by this winter. I want the intercooled version. I just want to know what you guys thought about this kit. If someone has it can they please post some pics.
Heres a link-KB 1.7l

I run the 9psi intercooled KB kit on my '01, and I LOVE it! I've driven them all - centri's, turbo's, bi-turbo's, you name it - and I think a twin-screw is the perfect power adder for a street-driven car.

Some people will tell you that you can make a lot more power for a lot less money with a centri, and they're right. But not way down low, where it really counts on the street. And turbos are just too damned idosyncratic. I wouldn't trade my setup for a centri or turbo making even 100 more RWHP, and that's no word of a lie.

Back in the day, I always drove big blocks, because I was hooked on the torque they made. I guess I'm still a torque junkie, but now I can get my fix with a motor not much bigger than HALF the size of the 455 in my old W30.

Here's a shot of my setup ...

enginebaywithkb.jpg

You can find some install photos on my website, if you're interested.
:thumbsup:

T-

stangfreak

Established Member
the kenne bell is a beautiful piece. i wouldnt think twice about getting it. im biased but lol, cant beat a twin screw for that low end grunt

Taz

Established Member
stangfreak said:
the kenne bell is a beautiful piece. i wouldnt think twice about getting it. im biased but lol, cant beat a twin screw for that low end grunt

Wow! I see you've got one of the BIG boys!
:eek:

I didn't know KB had released the 2.4's. Even my little 1.7 seems able to fold space, so you must be good for Warp 10 with that monster. Are you somewhere north of 650, maybe 700RWHP, with that one?

T-

Blown02

Established Member
I would much rather twins then a twinscrew, u can change psi anytime with a flick of a button, u get badass #s down low (compared to centris), most kits come with full tubular suspension, intercooler, and fuel system ofcourse.

Plus they make huge power up top!

But hey, im biased.

JebTonkin

Established Member
Well I am going to get a KB when I get the money, but I was wonderign if you guys think I should go with the 2.2 and run about 9psi because there is always the chance I will build the motor. And the 2.2 is only $100 more.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Well I am going to get a KB when I get the money, but I was wonderign if you guys think I should go with the 2.2 and run about 9psi because there is always the chance I will build the motor. And the 2.2 is only $100 more.

ALWAYS plan bigger for more potential later.

Like picking a turbo...Find the one that will fit your goals exactly, then go one size bigger.

I strongly suggest the bigger one.

JebTonkin

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
ALWAYS plan bigger for more potential later.

Like picking a turbo...Find the one that will fit your goals exactly, then go one size bigger.

I strongly suggest the bigger one.
See thats what I thought, doesn't the 1.7 and the 2.2 make the same power at say 9lbs but the 2.2 can just be boosted higher.

Taz

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
See thats what I thought, doesn't the 1.7 and the 2.2 make the same power at say 9lbs but the 2.2 can just be boosted higher.

Yes, you are correct. At the same 9 psi boost pressure, you'll make the same power. However, 9 psi is comfortably within the optimum operating range for the 1.7, but outside it, on the low side, for 2.2. If you don't plan on big boost, you'll be losing more power to higher parasitic losses for no good reason.

To the best of my knowledge, no one - and I mean absolutely NO ONE - has thrown a KB 2.2 on a '99/'01 Cobra with stock internals and tried to make it work at 9 psi. I've heard it suggested more than once by various individuals who have NEITHER tried it themselves nor seen it done. But if you've got a big enough pair to go where no man has gone before, be my guest. Just dive into it with your eyes wide open, not blinded by a bunch of sunshine some rubbernecker is shooting at you, and bank enough money to buy a fresh motor if/when shit happens.

Personally, I have no plans for swapping to forged internals until the stock motor needs a rebuild, which at 3K miles/year ought to be several years away. Maybe, I'll change my mind, maybe not, but I've been more than happy for nearly a year with the performance that the 1.7 delivers at 9 psi (8.5 psi, actually). If and when that changes, and I decide to forge the bottom end, I'll think about moving up to a 2.2, but most assuredly NOT at the stock 9.85:1 compression ratio. I'd drop it at least to 9.2:1, so I could run the 2.2 the way it should be run.

T-

Last edited:

SGL

Banned
Taz said:
To the best my knowledge, no one - and I mean absolutely NO ONE - has thrown a KB 2.2 on a '99/'01 Cobra with stock internals and tried to make it work at 9 psi. I've heard it suggested more than once by various individuals who have NEITHER tried it themselves nor seen it done. T-

but... I've seen it done at 19psi. :eek:

JebTonkin,

Ask yourself the following question (and be honest with your answer): What is the intended use of the car? Street? Drag? Open track? autocross? A little of everything?

The answer to that question will determine the right choice. By the way, my non-intercooled kit works well but it wasn't pain free. My suggestion to you is at the very least get an intercooled kit, regardless if it's a 1.7L or 2.2L. You will avoid a lot of issues. And in case you want to know, the 6.5psi non-intercooled kit does not and will never produce 425RWHP on a completely stock motor. There are ways to get there but like I said it's not a free ride. So be forewarned. In closing, the 2.2L kit will work on a stock motor. Just keep the boost at a reasonable level.

Taz

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
but... I've seen it done at 19psi. :eek:

Eric, what's up fella? Long time no hear. How's the car running?

Actually, Lidio ran a KB 2.2 on a Mach 1 with stock internals. For about a minute (figuratively speaking).

He says - what - about that? He says it would still be running if he hadn't gotten too greedy with the boost?

I say it would have blown up anyway.

T-

JebTonkin

Established Member
Well the car will be used for mostly street and my goal would be around 520rwhp(I know I would have to build the motor)but it is just a goal. I think I will go with the 1.7 and around 420-450rwhp for a while.

Taz

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
Well the car will be used for mostly street and my goal would be around 520rwhp(I know I would have to build the motor)but it is just a goal. I think I will go with the 1.7 and around 420-450rwhp for a while.

You'll love it! Guaranteed.

T-

SGL

Banned
Taz said:
Eric, what's up fella? Long time no hear. How's the car running?

Actually, Lidio ran a KB 2.2 on a Mach 1 with stock internals. For about a minute (figuratively speaking).

He says - what - about that? He says it would still be running if he hadn't gotten too greedy with the boost?

I say it would have blown up anyway.

T-

I haven't driven it since my "off-roading" experience at the track in June. I got a little greedy with the power in the corners and the front fascia said Hello to the grass. Been fixing it ever since. I'm back at the track this weekend with SVTOA. Should be fun. The car runs well as long as the temps stay under control. I should have bit the bullet and bought an intercooler.... Oh well, water under the bridge now. I may try methanol/water injection just for kicks. Since I'm experimenting, might as well go all the way....

How is the Arizona weather treating you? Any problems with the 120 deg temps?

SGL

Banned
JebTonkin said:

Like Taz said, good choice for the street. Make sure you set aside a budget for the fuel. LOL. I went from 22~23 mpg to 10 mpg in normal driving. To paraphrase, I guess I got "smiles per gallon" as opposed to "miles per gallon". I don't regret it one bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Taz

Established Member
serpentnoir said:
I haven't driven it since my "off-roading" experience at the track in June. I got a little greedy with the power in the corners and the front fascia said Hello to the grass. Been fixing it ever since. I'm back at the track this weekend with SVTOA. Should be fun. The car runs well as long as the temps stay under control. I should have bit the bullet and bought an intercooler.... Oh well, water under the bridge now. I may try methanol/water injection just for kicks. Since I'm experimenting, might as well go all the way....

How is the Arizona weather treating you? Any problems with the 120 deg temps?

Ouch! Sorry to hear about the mishap at the track, but I know you'll get it squared away.

SVTOA won't let me come play anymore. They now require roll bars on ragtops. :(

It's been hotter than Hell here - so hot that I've decided to postpone installation of all the new parts I've recently acquired until the Fall. But I've been running the piss out of the car without ANY increase in engine operating temps. I can feel that it's down on power, since the program is pulling timing in response to the ridiculous IAT's, but the engine is still smooth as silk.

You really should retrofit the intercooler to yours. It makes a world of difference. And with the lower intake charge temps, you could also run more timing to make a bit more power, too. Just a suggestion.

T-

UA-135A

Established Member
JebTonkin said:
The 1.7 will push a fair bit of boost. 2.2 would be difficult to run well on a stock motor.

You can always up the pulley and run the max 14psi. If the andeson power pipe does what it says, you can add 2-3lbs. and if you port the KB (don't know if or who is doing that) you can make great power out of a 1.7. Throw a 50 shot further down the road to cool the charge temp adn you could see in the ballpark of 600hp I imagine.

dfw99cobra

Established Member
If you're dead set on the KB definately throw down on a 2.2 and leave yourself room to grow.

Taz

Established Member
dfw99cobra said:
If you're dead set on the KB definately throw down on a 2.2 and leave yourself room to grow.

Your own experience with power adders in general and twin-screws in particular is ... ?

And this is a good idea for a street car with stock internals because ... ?

T-

stangfreak

Established Member
Taz said:
Wow! I see you've got one of the BIG boys!
:eek:

I didn't know KB had released the 2.4's. Even my little 1.7 seems able to fold space, so you must be good for Warp 10 with that monster. Are you somewhere north of 650, maybe 700RWHP, with that one?

T-

well my car is still in the works. not totally done with it yet. some say that the 2.4 makes more power than the 2.2 even at the same bosot levels, others say it only makes more power than the 2.2 above 19+lbs.

the 2.4 is a race blower so you do have to spin the piss out of it. this guy runs 24lbs on it, and even with a SHREDDED belt it read 620+rwhp and 740+ft lbs of torque. others have ran only 15lbs of boost and reprted 600rwhp. all in the tune. i dont know whats going to happen, imight even go back down to a 2.2 not sure yet. but i can say this, the kb is a top notch piece!

Users who are viewing this thread