K&N Type filters do not filter fine dust & dirt!

BEARCOBRA

2004 Silver Coupe
Established Member
K&N filters do not filter fine dust and small dirt particals from the air. From my past experience in dirt and sand I've found that the K&N Type air filters DO NOT filter the fine dust and other dirt as well as the foam or paper filters. The paper filters are the best and the fine foam filters really do a great job of keeping out all the dirt and dust. If I use a K&N type filter I also use a "OUTERWEAR" type pre-filter to help with the filtering job. The K&N type filter will flow greater CFM of air, but do not filter all the dirt out and this worries me???

I've seen proof of this from running in the sand and finding fine silt in the intake AFTER the filter and that is how I know this is true. The pleted filters do not get all the fine dirt and that has me concerned

Has anyone else discovered this too?:shrug: :idea: :bowdown: :??:
GLWBEAR

kj385

Established Member
I've found the same thing on my wifes old honda 400ex fourwheeler. BTW the "outerwear" will not stop any of the fine dust. As we had the same problems with that set up on the fourwheelers. The outerwears work to keep the big mud chunks and maybe some sand off the k&n's surface in dirt bikes but don't stop any silt. I still run a K&N on my cars but only run foam in off road machines.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting find but for cars driven on public roads it really isn't an issue, is it? Lesson learned -- keep your Cobras off the beach and sandy back roads. LOL!

Pyro

Established Member
Originally posted by CobraBob
Interesting find but for cars driven on public roads it really isn't an issue, is it? Lesson learned -- keep your Cobras off the beach and sandy back roads. LOL!

Very true....When I figured that out, I stopped driving my Cobra on the sand dunes and Jeep trails. In fact, I dont drive my Cobra on the Rubicon Trail anymore because of my K&N filter!! :rolleyes: J/K

Seriously though, I used to have a K&N on my 98 Jeep TJ then took it off because of that reason. :rockon:

SVTCobra2001

Cone Crasher
Established Member
That is what the oil is there for. You don't need to be running in the sand to have a problem. Say you live in the desert.. There is a major issue or even near the ocean. Heavy salt in the air can be a problem. A good filter should take it out of the air before the engine but a K&N that doesn't have enough oil or has too much oil will cause major issues.

Eric

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
This is the very reason why I replace my K&N's annually (that's right, replaced). :beer:

n0xlf

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
This is the very reason why I replace my K&N's annually (that's right, replaced). :beer:

Ironically, that may be the worst thing you can do...Dirty K&N type filters actually filter better than clean ones because the trapped particles fill the "holes" and in turn are then able to trap smaller particles..

Now, being the clean freak that I am, I have a hard time leaving it dirty...

There's always a tradeoff between flow and filtering capability, and you just need to find the point where you feel confortable..

Crazee Horse

Established Member
So, when I go dune tuning in my Mystic put on the fram(puke)? When on the street put on the K&N(Lubed)? When I take it to the sub races put on a Trojan(rain coat)? Got it covered now?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Originally posted by n0xlf
Ironically, that may be the worst thing you can do...Dirty K&N type filters actually filter better than clean ones because the trapped particles fill the "holes" and in turn are then able to trap smaller particles..

Now, being the clean freak that I am, I have a hard time leaving it dirty...

There's always a tradeoff between flow and filtering capability, and you just need to find the point where you feel comfortable..

That is a fact!!!!
A K&N style filter does approach the effectiveness of the paper OEM after they get a little dirty....
I put a used one on mine..... a "little dirty"
I have to drive where there is a lot of house construction .... sand and dirt and dust from dump trucks all up and down my route to work....
You don't have to be "Duneing Dudes" for this to be a legitimate concern.....
I wish we could get a big bad a$$ foam job that would fit......... I would buy one!
Jimmy:thumbsup:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by n0xlf
Ironically, that may be the worst thing you can do...Dirty K&N type filters actually filter better than clean ones because the trapped particles fill the "holes" and in turn are then able to trap smaller particles...

That is true. Then again this is the desert. There's so much dust and dry heat here that the K&N's actually turn pink in a matter of months. Also, the cotton shrinks up and loses its effectiveness altogether. :nonono:

Users who are viewing this thread