Just watched speed test drive...SRT8

DJ Red Barron

Boost Addict
Established Member
At the end of the day, they're all still POS Jeeps. Driven a Challenger SRT8 and Jeep SRT8. Had the Challenger for a whole week....shake, rattle, and roll! And I don't mean Big Joe Turner.
Interesting. I have frequently driven several vehicles in the SRT lineup over the years. I can safely say Ford doesn't make anything that is oh so superior in build quality. The Jeep I drove daily for 4 years was actually very nice. No rattles, shakes or anything else. And it was especially fun to wax most every ass on the road from a dig with it, too. :D

snakecharmer

Established Member
There is one part of me that wishes Ford would offer similar types of vehicles...the only thing at Ford car wise that you can buy now in the US with a V8 is the Mustang. On the other hand, gas prices being what they are, I can not fault Ford's strategy one bit, and if gas heads north of $4.00 again (whcih seems likely), they are in a better position to weather the storm than Chrysler is with all those Hi-Po V8s that drink gas.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Interesting. I have frequently driven several vehicles in the SRT lineup over the years. I can safely say Ford doesn't make anything that is oh so superior in build quality. The Jeep I drove daily for 4 years was actually very nice. No rattles, shakes or anything else. And it was especially fun to wax most every ass on the road from a dig with it, too. :D

The one thing I find amusing, is that I never once mentioned FORD...in any of my posts. If you're gonna quote me, at least keep it in context. :shrug:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
There is no market for the high performance suv or truck. The truck market only lost money to the tune of 3 billion!

Ford does have a golden opportunity with the new 13 fusion! Will the ecoboost 6 fit in it???

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
I've been a Ford fan for as long as I can remember, owning a 71 mach 1, a 2000 lightning, and now a 2004 comp orange cobra. I just finished watching the speed test drive srt8 and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, with 4 different vehicle offerings, each with 470hp, yes 470hp, the challenger, charger, 300c and cherokee each offering performance for different tastes and customer needs. I really wish Ford would step up their offerings, don't get me wrong, we have the best out of the box pony car with the best v8 and v6 out there, the boss 302, the gt500 and the raptor but as you can see, diversity isn't really there, no flag ship luxury performance offering to go against she ctsv or 300c, no performance 4 door rear wheel drive sedan to put up against the charger, well, we do have the SHO, and no performance SUV to compete with the srt8 cherokee. I just wish Ford would give the SVT group some slack to show what they can come up with and bring back the excitement that I remember from back in the John Coletti era of svo/sve days. FORD/SVT...STEP IT UP...we, your fans/consumers, don't want to be let behind with limited options. Sorry for the rant guys n gals.

Im with you bro all the way.:D

LogiWorld123

Established Member
SVT needs some play money. Seems they have again gone back to "SVE" style works.

I'd love to see SVT as an option on every consumer Ford, and heck even throw it on Lincoln.

"Introducing, the 2014 Lincoln MKS -SVT"

They better get names for these though, rather than COBRA, LIGHTNING Contour, Focus

SVT Taurus (They went SHO with this, but kick it up another notch)
SVT Fusion
SVT Focus
SVT Fiesta

SVT Explorer
SVT Escape

SVT Expedition (anyone remember the Expy they put the Lightning powertrain into? I know I saw this in Motor Trend once)

SVT Flex
SVT Edge

Last edited:

Det.Bullitt

Banned
I got rid of my 2009 Jeep SRT8 a couple of months ago. Poor quality. My school teacher wife drove it for 2 1/2 years. She hated it! I hope they have improved the quality with the new models!

Fuerza

Established Member
SVT needs some play money. Seems they have again gone back to "SVE" style works.

I'd love to see SVT as an option on every consumer Ford, and heck even throw it on Lincoln.

They better get names for these though, rather than COBRA, LIGHTNING Contour, Focus

SVT Fusion
SVT Focus
SVT Fiesta

SVT Explorer
SVT Escape

SVT Expedition (anyone remember the Expy they put the Lightning powertrain into? I know I saw this in Motor Trend once)

SVT Flex
SVT Edge

Thats a touch much, I like performance vehicles but a SVT Flex :dw: Performance SUV's are a hot ticket these days. An EDGE has the best looks out of Ford's current vehicle line up. We need a real performance sedan like the Falcon XR6 Turbo.

Raven519

Established Member
:sleeping:

My uncle drives a Challenger SRT8. That's the shake, rattle, and roll. My father's girlfriend drives an '09 Liberty. I won't even comment. My buddy has a Jeep SRT8. That I do like. So, again, I'm no expert. Please tell me why you are?

Never have and never will claim to be an expert. I go by personal experience not hearsay from others. Any mass produced car will have issues, just because the couple you know of and and old one you own doesn't make an entire brand bad. My 2010 liberty has been flawless, except for the rodent that went chew happy on a wiring harness. I've known plenty of people with other brands of cars and they had issues with them, do I call their entire lineup of cars crap because of it? No. Its common sense, which some people lack.

You may think brand loyalty is dumb, but tell that to the hardcore bowtie and mopar fanatics that bad mouth everything any other motor company produces. There are people out there that can't admit another car company can produce a quality vehicle, I for one can but always had a passion for everything blue oval. Yes, I have 2004 Cobra and my current DD is a 2000 PSD Excursion (no fun in sub-freezing temps) that replaced my 1993 jeep grand cherokee, I'm just saying, sure, I can go to a different brand, but I really wish I wasn't left with that choice, when it comes down to it I am partial to Fords and simply wish we had MORE choices like the mopar boys have.

I always tell people brand loyalty is dumb. Then they always go off into one the their tirades, about how superior "X" company is to everyone else and blah blah blah. Every brand has those types of people, there are plenty on this site as well that fit into that category. Hell, I used to think Ford was the best when I was younger, then I wised up and noticed other companies made great products.

Monster Mach

Established Member
I like jeep.. moms 08 has 188k on it now.. 5.7 hemi and runs great... no rattles.. my only complaint is the local dealership (only one around anymore) ****ed up a manifold install and now it has check engine codes (that make no sense) like bank 1 sensor 1 rich and the exact opposit at the same time bank 1 sensor 1 lean (at the same time) and now they won't fix it when its a exhaust leak on their part (broken manifold bolt) that they installed... yes it has a lifetime warranty but now they are charging 4k to fix it lol so it has a cel on.. and they try blaming it on clogged cats (when it runs and drives normal with perfectly clogged cats he said its like they have cement on them)

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

S8ER01Z

Established Member
Overall the show was pretty lame, the guest were people no one cares about aside from the executive from the SRT group. The best part was him in the 300c ripping around Detroit and talking about the company. You can pretty much fast forward over the rest and not miss anything. I guess there is a reason I never watch speed anymore.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member

SVT Fusion
SVT Focus
SVT Fiesta

SVT Explorer
SVT Escape

SVT Flex
SVT Edge

Remember when GM put the "SS" badge on nearly every car they had in their line-up?

240hp Malibu/Malibu Maxx SS - :lol:

240hp or 303hp Monte Carlo :lol: I bet that bitch would torque steer into the nearest tree if you weren't careful.

SS Cobalt :lol: The turbo motor is nice, but everything else on it sucked.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that Ford should not put the SVT badge on every automobile they make. Keep it exclusive.

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
This brings up a very good point. Ford has disappointed me in many ways. First, they didn't release any hi-po version of the old Explorer. Judging by the amount of SRT8 Jeep and TBSS owners here, they ****ed up big time.

Not only has Ford lost a lot of their more performance-oriented models, but their standard models are starting to either suck wind, compete with each other, or both.

The greatest example of this is the new Explorer. Ford has THREE crossovers, yet they decided to build a FOURTH for no reason. It cannot tow, it cannot go off-road, and to top it all off, it's hideous. The old Explorer rode well, towed a lot, and looked pretty good, IMO. However, someone at Ford decided to build a car that not only competes with their own 7-passenger Flex, but competes with their Edge as well. It makes no sense.

Now my mom was in the market for a new car. Her requirements were that it could tow more than 3500 pounds, could handle very deep snow (they have a house in the Adirondacks where it has snowed 18 inches in a day before, and the driveway is damned steep), and was comfortable for her midget 5-foot stature. She currently has a 2000 Explorer with 192k miles, and obviously after giving service like that, she immediately went to Ford. What she was greeted with was a set of cars that she as a non-car person could not distinguish from one another, and not a single mid-sized SUV with a low range, not to mention a car that has everything in packages, so in order to get something like HID headlights, you must spend 45k+. We walked out.

What did she end up getting? A Grand Cherokee. It's good in the snow, it's very nicely appointed, she got the options she wanted for significantly less, and it can tow (plus it is not some shitty slightly lifted station wagon). Right now Chrysler is stepping their game up. I was really impressed, and I have to admit that right now, Chrysler has a superior line-up.

Ford is screwing the pooch with cars that blend together. Any company can build a FWD sedan or a crossover. It takes a real company to build a car with soul, RWD, and/or that ability to put a smile on your face. Right now Chrysler has that in droves with the SRT line-up (except for some reason they put the e-brake on the floor in the 6-speed Challengers, WTF?!). Ford needs to release cars that people drool over, like the Aussie Falcon or Ranger (Google it, you'll see what I mean). Sure the hot hatches are neat, but some of us want something a bit more refined and grown-up without feeling like we're driving a cookie-cutter-mobile.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but I'm really liking where Chrysler is going, and wish that Ford would follow suit. Everything should be fun, not just the SVT vehicles.

Fox-4

OFFICER BARBRADY
Established Member
This brings up a very good point. Ford has disappointed me in many ways. First, they didn't release any hi-po version of the old Explorer. Judging by the amount of SRT8 Jeep and TBSS owners here, they ****ed up big time.

Not only has Ford lost a lot of their more performance-oriented models, but their standard models are starting to either suck wind, compete with each other, or both.

The greatest example of this is the new Explorer. Ford has THREE crossovers, yet they decided to build a FOURTH for no reason. It cannot tow, it cannot go off-road, and to top it all off, it's hideous. The old Explorer rode well, towed a lot, and looked pretty good, IMO. However, someone at Ford decided to build a car that not only competes with their own 7-passenger Flex, but competes with their Edge as well. It makes no sense.

Now my mom was in the market for a new car. Her requirements were that it could tow more than 3500 pounds, could handle very deep snow (they have a house in the Adirondacks where it has snowed 18 inches in a day before, and the driveway is damned steep), and was comfortable for her midget 5-foot stature. She currently has a 2000 Explorer with 192k miles, and obviously after giving service like that, she immediately went to Ford. What she was greeted with was a set of cars that she as a non-car person could not distinguish from one another, and not a single mid-sized SUV with a low range, not to mention a car that has everything in packages, so in order to get something like HID headlights, you must spend 45k+. We walked out.

What did she end up getting? A Grand Cherokee. It's good in the snow, it's very nicely appointed, she got the options she wanted for significantly less, and it can tow (plus it is not some shitty slightly lifted station wagon). Right now Chrysler is stepping their game up. I was really impressed, and I have to admit that right now, Chrysler has a superior line-up.

Ford is screwing the pooch with cars that blend together. Any company can build a FWD sedan or a crossover. It takes a real company to build a car with soul, RWD, and/or that ability to put a smile on your face. Right now Chrysler has that in droves with the SRT line-up (except for some reason they put the e-brake on the floor in the 6-speed Challengers, WTF?!). Ford needs to release cars that people drool over, like the Aussie Falcon or Ranger (Google it, you'll see what I mean). Sure the hot hatches are neat, but some of us want something a bit more refined and grown-up without feeling like we're driving a cookie-cutter-mobile.

Anyway, sorry for the long rant, but I'm really liking where Chrysler is going, and wish that Ford would follow suit. Everything should be fun, not just the SVT vehicles.

I am not too fond of Ford placing the Explorer on a FWD unibody platform, but the 2011 model out sold the 09-10 models combined. :shrug: Ford had to either reinvent the model name or let it die off.

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
i agree with this thread because who wouldn't want to see more svt cars. but correct me if im wrong but there are still a lot of options. The only thing missing is a performace suv but it has the raptor which is amazing. The Mustang has so many differant versions its crazy but I love it even the f150 has a lot of options. The sho is a nice ass car and it moves. In 2013 they even redid the fusion which is sexy as ****! and not to mention the shelby. Fords cars are getting better and better just give them some more time. when they make cars they dominate. Look at the termi look how old it is and its still killing with or without mods. Look at the new 5.0 and all the cars its killing. Not to mention the fact that todays world is demanding gas savers not so much performance as it used to be

Last edited:

T-Bolt

Official 'ring tow rig...
Established Member
i agree with this thread because who wouldn't want to see more svt cars. but correct me if im wrong but there are still a lot of options. The only thing missing is a performace suv but it has the raptor which is amazing. The Mustang has so many differant versions its crazy but I love it even the f150 has a lot of options. The sho is a nice ass car and it moves. In 2013 they even redid the fusion which is sexy as ****! and not to mention the shelby. Fords cars are getting better and better just give them some more time. when they make cars they dominate. Look at the termi look how old it is and its still killing with or without mods. Look at the new 5.0 and all the cars its killing. Not to mention the fact that todays world is demanding gas savers not so much performance as it used to be

Where's our RWD performance sedan? Where's our luxury brand? Lincoln today is what Cadillac was 20 years ago. They need to change it up fast.

rattlesnake3:16

BOOTS TO ASSES
Established Member
Where's our RWD performance sedan? Where's our luxury brand? Lincoln today is what Cadillac was 20 years ago. They need to change it up fast.

its in australia

9080218.010.1M.jpg

i think its rwd

Fuerza

Established Member

Very true, GM is targeting RWD euro cars with the CTS & the ATS. Lincoln isn't producing anything that is competing with Europe IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread