Just watched speed test drive...SRT8

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
I've been a Ford fan for as long as I can remember, owning a 71 mach 1, a 2000 lightning, and now a 2004 comp orange cobra. I just finished watching the speed test drive srt8 and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, with 4 different vehicle offerings, each with 470hp, yes 470hp, the challenger, charger, 300c and cherokee each offering performance for different tastes and customer needs. I really wish Ford would step up their offerings, don't get me wrong, we have the best out of the box pony car with the best v8 and v6 out there, the boss 302, the gt500 and the raptor but as you can see, diversity isn't really there, no flag ship luxury performance offering to go against she ctsv or 300c, no performance 4 door rear wheel drive sedan to put up against the charger, well, we do have the SHO, and no performance SUV to compete with the srt8 cherokee. I just wish Ford would give the SVT group some slack to show what they can come up with and bring back the excitement that I remember from back in the John Coletti era of svo/sve days. FORD/SVT...STEP IT UP...we, your fans/consumers, don't want to be let behind with limited options. Sorry for the rant guys n gals.

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I've been a Ford fan for as long as I can remember, owning a 71 mach 1, a 2000 lightning, and now a 2004 comp orange cobra. I just finished watching the speed test drive srt8 and I have to say I'm pretty impressed, with 4 different vehicle offerings, each with 470hp, yes 470hp, the challenger, charger, 300c and cherokee each offering performance for different tastes and customer needs. I really wish Ford would step up their offerings, don't get me wrong, we have the best out of the box pony car with the best v8 and v6 out there, the boss 302, the gt500 and the raptor but as you can see, diversity isn't really there, no flag ship luxury performance offering to go against she ctsv or 300c, no performance 4 door rear wheel drive sedan to put up against the charger, well, we do have the SHO, and no performance SUV to compete with the srt8 cherokee. I just wish Ford would give the SVT group some slack to show what they can come up with and bring back the excitement that I remember from back in the John Coletti era of svo/sve days. FORD/SVT...STEP IT UP...we, your fans/consumers, don't want to be let behind with limited options. Sorry for the rant guys n gals.

Then buy a Chrysler. When Ford makes what you want you can trade for one.

What's the problem?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
At the end of the day, they're all still POS Jeeps. Driven a Challenger SRT8 and Jeep SRT8. Had the Challenger for a whole week....shake, rattle, and roll! And I don't mean Big Joe Turner.

Silver2003Cobra

US Navy (retired)
Established Member
Dodge also has the best heavy duty off road pickup in the Power Wagon, and the only full size pickup you can buy with a manual transmission in the 2500/3500 behind their diesel.

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
Then buy a Chrysler. When Ford makes what you want you can trade for one.

What's the problem?

Never been a switch hitter, and not starting now, I actually was going to trade the cobra in for the now extinct 07 adrenalin as I really wanted terminator power and upgrade ability with all well drive and four doors but as we all know, ford, at the very last minute axed that program. I just would like some additional options for real performance vehicle besides a pony car, I am completely happy with the termy and need a DD for the sometimes cr*ppy Wisconsin weather and something like a performance explorer would really fit the bill, until then a raptor with a 2.9 may be in my future.

JerryC

Established Member
I've saw that episode a while back. The head of the SRT team comes across as a super cool dude. You feel his passion for cars. He's not some corp exec just looking to capitalize on a trend, that would be the execs above him, he really loves the SRT line of cars he is pushing.

He is even doing burnouts and drifting on the show. On the street.

I'm not buying one anytime soon, but I was impressed.

If they were to really man up and put a SC on those cars...

Fuerza

Established Member
Never been a switch hitter, and not starting now, I actually was going to trade the cobra in for the now extinct 07 adrenalin as I really wanted terminator power and upgrade ability with all well drive and four doors but as we all know, ford, at the very last minute axed that program. I just would like some additional options for real performance vehicle besides a pony car, I am completely happy with the termy and need a DD for the sometimes cr*ppy Wisconsin weather and something like a performance explorer would really fit the bill, until then a raptor with a 2.9 may be in my future.

The Adrenalin, with the terminator motor would have been the right direction IMO. The Raptor is cool and all, but I'm more impressed by lifted Diesel's making 1000lbs of torque.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
We all miss the SVT program, and for sure those involved had a deep passion for performance Fords. So they gave us a hi-po performance truck, Mustang and Focus (well, sort of in this case). The bottom line was their passion for performance. I, as well, would love to see Ford invest in more high performance apart from the Mustang and SHO. A hi-po Edge would be awesome, as well as another truck. The Adrenalin would have been awesome. Heck, even a hi-po Explorer would be welcomed by many. Maybe Ford has doused their Mustang lineup with so much power and performance there isn't enough to be spread to their other vehicles. LOL!

Raven519

Established Member
At the end of the day, they're all still POS Jeeps. Driven a Challenger SRT8 and Jeep SRT8. Had the Challenger for a whole week....shake, rattle, and roll! And I don't mean Big Joe Turner.

So you have never owned one and you have driven one for a week, so that makes you an expert now on Jeeps? If you have never owned a vehicle, then you should not comment on them, pretty simple concept.

Back to the OP. Why would you stick with a company that doesn't offer what you want, especially when another company has exactly what you want? Brand loyalty is the dumbest thing when it comes to purchasing a vehicle.

Explosive

Established Member
When I was working at the Chrysler dealer a while back the only thing without constant well known issues was the grand cherokee. Mopar makes awesome looking cars. But once they come off the truck they fall apart. no durability at all.

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
So you have never owned one and you have driven one for a week, so that makes you an expert now on Jeeps? If you have never owned a vehicle, then you should not comment on them, pretty simple concept.

After seeing your sig, I realize why you got so butthurt.:cryying: But you should of done some research before flaming me. :read: I drive a '95 Jeep that I've had since '98. And unless you are a Jeep engineer, you're no expert either.

BTW, don't try and troll me....you ****ing suck at it. :burn: Tread lightly, my friend. :beer:

Raven519

Established Member
After seeing your sig, I realize why you got so butthurt.:cryying: But you should of done some research before flaming me. :read: I drive a '95 Jeep that I've had since '98. And unless you are a Jeep engineer, you're no expert either.

BTW, don't try and troll me....you ****ing suck at it. :burn: Tread lightly, my friend. :beer:

Ok, so let me get this straight, you drive a 17 year old Jeep and you think you can comment on their new lineup of vehicles, based on your experience with that old Jeep? Riiiiiight. So yea, your original opinion is still dumb. So going with your theory, I'll just say that all Fords are POS because of all the issues my fathers Explorer has had over the years.

BTW, who gets butthurt over what somebody says on the internet?

thepizz

OP is a good person
Established Member
Ok, so let me get this straight, you drive a 17 year old Jeep and you think you can comment on their new lineup of vehicles, based on your experience with that old Jeep? Riiiiiight. So yea, your original opinion is still dumb. So going with your theory, I'll just say that all Fords are POS because of all the issues my fathers Explorer has had over the years.

BTW, who gets butthurt over what somebody says on the internet?

:sleeping:

My uncle drives a Challenger SRT8. That's the shake, rattle, and roll. My father's girlfriend drives an '09 Liberty. I won't even comment. My buddy has a Jeep SRT8. That I do like. So, again, I'm no expert. Please tell me why you are?

Last edited:

PorkchopExpress

Established Member
I owned a 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8. (Daily driver)

It was a VERY solid car. I would say as solid, and the interior MORE solid, than my GT500.

My brother owns a super charged 2010 Dodge Challenger SRT8. He has over 24k miles on it and no rattles, or build issues. In fact, he is very happy with his car.

My ex-girlfriend owned a Jeep Commander that I frequently drove for over a year. Aside from being a GIANT gutless wonder (V6), it was a work-horse.

Has your uncle tried to take the car to the dealership to have the rattles fixed? They're covered under his warranty.

yellow98stang

Established Member
I've been a mopar guy since day one BC of my dad, but I had a 300c for about 2 years bought brand new. I hated it. The auto was slow shifting, acted confused what gear to be in sometimes, and the brakes warped after about 5k miles and they wouldn't do anything for me because it was a "wear and tear" item. The passenger seat would vibrate and start shaking on the highway and had a shimmy in the steering wheel, and they wouldn't fix it...

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member

Back to the OP. Why would you stick with a company that doesn't offer what you want, especially when another company has exactly what you want? Brand loyalty is the dumbest thing when it comes to purchasing a vehicle.

You may think brand loyalty is dumb, but tell that to the hardcore bowtie and mopar fanatics that bad mouth everything any other motor company produces. There are people out there that can't admit another car company can produce a quality vehicle, I for one can but always had a passion for everything blue oval. Yes, I have 2004 Cobra and my current DD is a 2000 PSD Excursion (no fun in sub-freezing temps) that replaced my 1993 jeep grand cherokee, I'm just saying, sure, I can go to a different brand, but I really wish I wasn't left with that choice, when it comes down to it I am partial to Fords and simply wish we had MORE choices like the mopar boys have.

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
I didnt mean for this thread to turn into a brand shootout guys, I simply wanted to point out the path mopar has taken as a smart one providing additional performance options to their customers, Ford/SVT had the chance to go this route at one time but has decided to stray away from additional SVT options for a more global performance sales point which I can understand. Ford has to be reminded that SVO/SVE/SVT brought back the performance passion to Ford customers and many of us wouldn't be as passionate about our high performance cars if it hadn't been for the originals, the 5.0s, SVOs, 93-2004 Cobras, 93-04 lightnings, contures, foci etc. Ford may not be playing the SVT card to its fullest like the SRT8 group but its still there and I just hope we see more SVTs...someday.

boatcop1

Established Member
I see your point and would love to see some more vehicles in the SVT lineup. But the fact Ford dosent try to keep up with the Jonses is why I like Ford. For instance the Mustang (choose your flavor) Is competitive against anything the other two manufacturers are putting out there!

I would love to see a artists rendering of the new Explorer tweaked to the max with a built and or blown coyote, and available for the general public to compete with the Jeep SRT8 or TBSS. But how big is that market really?

CompOrangeCobra

Established Member
I see your point and would love to see some more vehicles in the SVT lineup. But the fact Ford dosent try to keep up with the Jonses is why I like Ford. For instance the Mustang (choose your flavor) Is competitive against anything the other two manufacturers are putting out there!

I would love to see a artists rendering of the new Explorer tweaked to the max with a built and or blown coyote, and available for the general public to compete with the Jeep SRT8 or TBSS. But how big is that market really?

The market may be small but it must be big enough to have Chrysler continue offering the Jeep SRT8, that says something, Chrysler isn't going to produce a vehicle if it doesn't think there is a big enough market out there. Reality is Ford NEEDS a flagship performance Lincoln, GM has the CTSV and now the 300c is offering 470hp. A new rearwheel drive four door platform is needed to fill the void left by the now gone crown vic (a very very popular law enforcement vehicle) and a performance SUV would be nice. I live in Wisconsin and a performance AWD SUV would be right up my alley, something fun to drive all year round. Like I stated before, a raptor would be fun but it would for sure need some boost to put a grin on my face everyday I'd drive it and modding a 45-50k vehicle is, well, out of reach, MAN I wish Ford would have gone ahead with the adrenalin!!! Now a 3.5 ecoboost powered AWD edge or even an explorer would kinda be nice...

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i only caught the last half of that last night. i hope they run it again. it was really good. although it was like an hour long crysler commercial lol. the srt exec seemed like a really cool guy!
love how that new srt 300 looks! still iffy on the charger. i LOVED the last srt charger though :dancenana:

the jeep looks badass! loved when he was driving it on the Ring in the rain, passing other badass cars lol. probably used a whole tank of gas at $9 a gallon lol.

i think they said all the new cars, except the challenger, have the cylinder deactivation? if so that's great because the previous srt8s mpg was just miserable. id rock one of those new 300s if the mpg is improved!

i agree that it would be great if Ford offered more stuff like this like they used to. but the bean counters still run the show at ford apparently. :(

Users who are viewing this thread