Just wanting to say goodbye to the SVT world forever!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
well after having many mustangs that is the next step up in my eyes... i understand that for the same money I could get a newer c6 but then its still just a vette... the cobra was the "elite" mustang, and the z06 is the "elite" vette... until the zr1 comes out

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
there was a post on here LONG ago about the entire dealing with me and ford about my motor issue...

to give you the basic gist of it....

I was driving home in my car one day in charlotte traffic. I was cruising along at 60 mph when i got off the freeway and pulled up to a red light. At the time I had my music blasting and was just in for the ride. When I pulled up at the red light I assumed that the minivan full of children didnt want to hear Rob Zombie, so I politely turned my music down.

When the light turned green I didnt leave the minivan by more than 2 car lengths (just giving an estimate of how "normal" i was driving the car) when I heard a knocking noise. I not only could hear it, but I could feel it in my foot as well. Having never blown up a motor, and this was not my first high performance vehicle, i had no idea what the noise was exactly, i thought it was my clutch.

I had the car towed to ford at my expense, with 37,300 miles on the clock. Yes. I understand it was out of waranty. When for go the car I was told (without them touching the first bolt) that my motor was blown and it would be $7500 to put a new one in from form. I laughed in their face, cranked my shit up and drove it home with it knocking. When the first shop took my motor apart they found bad castings in the block that was preventing proper oil flow. The block had to be sent to a shop and properly prepared so that it wouldnt have any future oiling issues. I didnt know enough at the time to be able to tell you the exact nature of the issue unfortunately. Now that I have built several motors, I would be able to describe in more detail any issues I would come across from this point on.

I contacted ford with photographic evidence and with a work order from the shop that prepped my block stating that the issue of the the failure was most definitely related to the blockage in the block. Ford just told me it wasn't their problem. I sought out help from a lawyer who pretty much wanted way more than I could afford to pay and lose. I made nearly a hundred calls to anyone I could find in ford to try and get my case heard and was met with nothing but closed doors.

in the end I paid way to much to have my forged motor built and ran it instead of killing myself fighting a non-winning battle with ford

Sounds legit, but you should have continued to pursue help higher within the Ford Reps and provided them with the actual block. Probably could have gotten some help. But may not have. I can understand your frustration but Ford makes the call at 36k or 3years and they don't have to budge.

I know at the time you couldn't have done it, but you should have let Ford disassemble the block themselves. The other shop opening the motor is what warranted the big NO

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Sounds legit, but you should have continued to pursue help higher within the Ford Reps and provided them with the actual block. Probably could have gotten some help. But may not have. I can understand your frustration but Ford makes the call at 36k or 3years and they don't have to budge.

I know at the time you couldn't have done it, but you should have let Ford disassemble the block themselves. The other shop opening the motor is what warranted the big NO

well at the time I didnt know it was fords fault either.. i know any motor that blows up in 37k miles no harder than I drive had to have a defect.. i guess in a panic of my $30k being blown up I did what I thought I needed to do.

it really sucked that I got burned so many times by this car.... i know it has nothing to do with the car, rather its just my shitty luck. but if I get a z06 and do a few minor boltons I have a lot lesser margin for error. The more radical this car gets the more I am gonna have to keep up with it, and lets face it, after not driving it for 1.5 years when it was down after the first forged motor, i learned that i COULD live without the car and that driving something that just takes oil and fuel for upkeep is what I really want.

SaleenFiend

04 MC Cobra
Established Member
well at the time I didnt know it was fords fault either.. i know any motor that blows up in 37k miles no harder than I drive had to have a defect.. i guess in a panic of my $30k being blown up I did what I thought I needed to do.

it really sucked that I got burned so many times by this car.... i know it has nothing to do with the car, rather its just my shitty luck. but if I get a z06 and do a few minor boltons I have a lot lesser margin for error. The more radical this car gets the more I am gonna have to keep up with it, and lets face it, after not driving it for 1.5 years when it was down after the first forged motor, i learned that i COULD live without the car and that driving something that just takes oil and fuel for upkeep is what I really want.

Go ahead get what you want and run with it... No matter what You'll be back one day (maybe at the re-introduction of a new SVT product*). But enjoy what you have while you have it. Hope we continue to see you post though seems like you've put in your fair share.

*although SVT helped design the GT500 I will only consider a vehicle an SVT when they have full rights to the vehicle

Last edited:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Go ahead get what you want and run with it... No matter what You'll be back one day (maybe at the re-introduction of a new SVT product*). But enjoy what you have while you have it. Hope we continue to see you post though seems like you've put in your fair share.

*although SVT helped design the GT500 I will only consider a vehicle an SVT when they have full rights to the vehicle

i like the gt500 and almost sold my car a while back to buy one... however I dont like the shelby name being bastardized personally, and just because they built a supercharged 5.4 using the ideas that SVT had already worked out, and Carroll Shelby jumped on board for a name tweak, doesnt make it a Shelby Cobra IMHO.

and like you said, until SVT is on full force and owns the right to the cobra again I would consider it "elite"

I have been an SVT cobra guy 150% for as long as I can remember. I love vettes, and i LOVE a Z06, but lets face it, i couldve bought one new when i got my cobra and yet I chose the cobra. I had always wanted an authentic cobra and I got one. And i built it to the point I wanted it to be. I just spent the money I had to make it what it was, yet I didnt have the funds to support the ongoing hobby it takes to keep a 700hp car happy 24/7.

hus

SPDJNKY
Established Member
yet I didnt have the funds to support the ongoing hobby it takes to keep a 700hp car happy 24/7.

700rwhp?...hell, I can't keep an 01 400rwhp Cobra happy. My third motor is being built right now and if it goes this time I'll also be in Z06 World. This is it for me.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
700rwhp?...hell, I can't keep an 01 400rwhp Cobra happy. My third motor is being built right now and if it goes this time I'll also be in Z06 World. This is it for me.

nahh it made around 670 at the tires.... the sad thing now is it isnt the power thats hurting the car its random part failures

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
I was up at Donnie's yesterday and he is coming to pick mine up today. Did you ever take off the valve covers to look at the valvetrain? Still planning on having him look at it?

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Venomoussvt I can understand wanting to get rid of the car. Before I bought my terminator I was debating on building up my fox but I decided not to for kind of the same reason sometimes you can spend all this money getting something built up and have issues like that. That’s what I like about the Terminator , just got a 2.93 upper and cold air intake and happy with the power and very reliable.

Anyways for some that think LS1’s don’t have issues I have a lot of friends that have them ( used to have one myself 02 camaro) and they have same kind of problems 2 of them spun bearings and this seems to be a pretty common issue, also their #7 either seem to run lean or hot they seem to be the first cylinder to go.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Anyways for some that think LS1’s don’t have issues I have a lot of friends that have them ( used to have one myself 02 camaro) and they have same kind of problems 2 of them spun bearings and this seems to be a pretty common issue, also their #7 either seem to run lean or hot they seem to be the first cylinder to go.

yeah, everything mass produced is gonna run into issues.... i guess maybel I am just burned out on ford mustangs for a while... i have spent 110k on 2 cars over the past 12 years and its ridiculous! I really like my 88 coupe, but its a POS and thats why I like it actually. I never worry about it, and if it blows I dont care (as long as it doesnt damage my afr 185's in the process :D)

Users who are viewing this thread