Just wanting to say goodbye to the SVT world forever!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Well, i am official done with ford and done with SVT. My car used to be an absolute JOY to own but somewhere in its life became a curse nightmare that haunts my dreams at night. Its a shame that I am about $65k into the project before realizing how much I hate the car now. If you know the history on the car you can skip to the last paragraph, if not you can read the entire novel.

For those that dont know, here is some back story on the car.... After a weird oiling issue in the stock motor that left me stranded (while driving along in 5th gear in traffic), that ford happily told me to get bent over, I decided to build a beast of a car. At the time the baddest thing out there was a billet shortblock. So, i built an 01 car that I wanted to make 700rwhp in. Back in 03-04 even the baddest terminators were barely making these numbers with the first turbo kits and spray. So, i built the baddest billet shortblock I could build to handle the big boost I was gonna throw at the car. I then proceded to drive the car for almost a year and 7k miles for a full breakin (not to mention I was now broke as hell). A year later I had the money saved up for a blower so I called procharger and put together a d1sc race kit to make 21 psi.

We so all the work on the car, get the car tuned and running perfect, but I decided to start off with alot larger pulley on the blower that intended. I ended up making 550rwhp on 12.5psi with only 17* total timing on 93 octane. The car felt great! and with that safe of a tune, i could probably drive the car unbelievable reliable for 100k miles! So, i decided to leave it there and not be greedy with power, i wanted a daily drivable 550rwhp car. We did a race tune as well with more timing and a little different fuel chart and made right at 600rwhp.

I drove the car in this setup for about 2 years until one day riding down the road in traffic it started making noise. I thought for sure it was the clutch because it was faint and unnoticeable to everyone but me. After changing the clutch and troubleshooting the problem we find it has a spun bearing again. At this point I KNEW i hated the car and wanted to sell it. I parked the car for 15 months under a carport and didnt touch it. It saw rain sleet and snow, but I did not care. I had hopes and dreams that maybe someone with either steal it, or a tree would fall on it, however this didnt happen.

15 months after parking the nightmare I decided to get some money together and put it together to sell. I called up a friend who owns a shop and he came and got the car. While working on it, we find why the car gave away the second time. When Custom Performance built the car, they over honed the cylinders WAY to much. The cylinders were actually between 2 sizes of pistons. However regardless they stuck a stock piston in the whole and "let it ride". I decided at this point that I wouldnt let someone elses shi!tty work make me sell the car, I would build it better this time and keep it.

1 month after my buddy got the car he got it running again (with a terrible time getting parts lined up.) I got the car back, with the addition of some fueling mods and a trans swap, in hopes of making more power this time around. Well......

almost exactly 1000 miles after getting the car running again I decided to drive it to work yesterday. I am driving down the interstate in the SLOW lane in 5th gear at around 60-65 mph. As I approach the on ramp I start slowing down to let other traffic merge when I hear "marbles in a coffee can" then something fly down the bottom of the car. I push in the clutch to listen to the motor, and start watching gauges with no sign of anything wrong. I coast off the next off ramp which around 1/4 mile and into a gas station where I look under the hood and this is what I see.

2732416468_b395c9f782_b.jpg

we think a rocker broke and flew up into the timing chain. When it hit the chain it got enough velocity to bust out of the front of the motor. So...... now I have an 01 cobra who I am convinced is a punishment from god and no matter what I do to it (because I actually care) will break something again and again. The car will be sold, and will probably be beat to death by the new owner without a single problem, but I know if I keep this car, nothing good will come out of it. I am gonna sell it anyway I can, and keep my 88 coupe car for now. I will eventually sell my coupe car too and take a few years off from the performance side of things. After a little bit of a break, i will most likely snag up a c5 Z06 car as a toy and do nothing but exhaust and a cam and just drive it around on the weekend.

thanks for being a part of my life for years guys, it has been a crazy ride, but in the beginning there were only a few of us doing crazy builds on 01 cars, while everyone else was just buying terminators.

to all the new guys that I never got to fully meet, good day and good luck with your cars.

to all the old school guys like quad cammer, marek, and tons more, i bid you a due, Its been a long time in the making, but this guy is officially done.

Travis Washam
www.venomoussvt.com

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Wow, Travis. I hate to see this, but after blowing two forged motors in 12 months in my 99, I am almost right there with you. Shooting you a PM....

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
sorry to hear that man, and as you know, I've been there, several times.

But hey, sell it, move on, and you'll be happy. The Z06 may not throw you back in the seat the same way, but it will still move very well and it will do it every single day without a worry.

goodluck with your future endeavors.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
Now you will have to change your name to "notsoVenomousSVT" :shrug:

sorry to hear, that does sound bad :(

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Now you will have to change your name to "notsoVenomousSVT" :shrug:

sorry to hear, that does sound bad :(

Nah i will most likely always be venomousSVT unless I decide to completely change my identity..LOL I have been this for so long, being someone else just doesnt seem right.

maybe my z06 with have SNAKEATR on the tag :shrug: :D j/k

Tremor

NO MERCY
All your time and money, and all this bad luck.

VenomousSVT wish you the best on your sale, and hope your next project works out for the best. :beer:

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
All your time and money, and all this bad luck.

VenomousSVT wish you the best on your sale, and hope your next project works out for the best. :beer:

thanks man... but I can assure you there will not be a next "project" in the terms that the past has defined it. The next one will be a mild bolton cam/intake/exhaust/tune car.. nothing more.
I have been bitten hard by the z06 bug and that will most likely be what I end up with, probably sooner than later. I could have a 450rwhp car and put 100k miles on it with no more maintenance than putting gas in it, and changing the oil.
and FWIW.... in case you guys were wondering.,... it too will probably be yellow :D

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
Sorry to here about all the problems. That sucks. You have one of the best looking New Edge Cobra's on the block. One on my favorites on this site. A yellow Cobra R/New Edge with a built aluminum block...definitely cool in my book. Best of luck with the Z06...excellent choice. Drive the hell out of it!!!

TrueBlueCobra01

SVT
Established Member
The sad truth is that these overhead cam motors just don't like that much horse power. I wish I could have an LS1 in my cobra.

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
are you parting out the car

i will sell it any way i can lose the least amount of money.. if that means fixing it again and selling it whole on ebay I will. if that means putting a stock mach motor in it and selling my built teksid motor and blower separately then I will do that... it all depends on the money

98 N/A 4V

Established Member
to all the old school guys like quad cammer, marek, and tons more, i bid you a due, Its been a long time in the making, but this guy is officially done.

Travis Washam
www.venomoussvt.com

Who is marek?

For only being together 1k miles it sounds like the someone didn't double check their assembly of the valve/spring/rocker etc. They may have not fully tighten it and it worked itself loose. You think you can go back to the shop for any kind of recourse? It does suck that it broke. But look at it this way.. it could have been worse. You could have dropped a valve. But if you're dead set on selling good luck with your next car. Hate to see you go. :beer:

-Mark

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Well, good luck man.

I know the feeling.
I will never sink big money in a street car again.
I have a street car to cruise in now and a reliable cheap race car to get my speed fix for no where near what I put into some street cars.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
Been in your shoes with a fox. Best decision I ever made was to sell it. You just need to know when to move on, and it sounds like you have. Sorry to hear, though. I honestly remember the frustration that the whole situation caused and I hate to know that ANYONE is going through it!

VenomousSVT

TRQSTEER
Established Member
Who is marek?

For only being together 1k miles it sounds like the someone didn't double check their assembly of the valve/spring/rocker etc. They may have not fully tighten it and it worked itself loose. You think you can go back to the shop for any kind of recourse? It does suck that it broke. But look at it this way.. it could have been worse. You could have dropped a valve. But if you're dead set on selling good luck with your next car. Hate to see you go. :beer:

-Mark

Marek was on here way back in the day, had an R clone like my car before anyone else was dong R clones. Cant remember his forum name though.,.. he did make a few magazines with his car though. 5.0 and MM&FF i believe

edit.. Marek = Mach0ne351 http://www.32valve.com/

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread