Just Pulled the trigger on...

musclefan21

Established Member
So sick and tired of hearing you need gears with a boss intake manifold. I have 3.31s and I will prove this weekend that you do not need gears to get gains. I already have baselines all on stock tires.
12.6 @ 111 stock
12.4 @ 115 tuned
12.1 @ 116-117 i/xpipe/tune (I repeated this the last 3 track outings at two different tracks.

I installed my boss manifold this past week and based on street testing, the car will trap 119. During my 2-3 shift I land at 5500, 3-4 is obviously going to be higher. 1-2 will not matter if I land at 5k due to traction.

5.0s are quick cars, so you will still be quick, break tires lose with 3.31 gears. However, 3.73s will do better. I have street tested different kinds of gears and found 3.73s to be a very good set up for a lot of mustangs.

I can run a 5.0 with 3.31s at track, and then throw 3.73s on and run better times with it. Again, I have tested this with other mustangs. Steep gears = better ET. However, steep gears in some cases may lower your trap speed while improving your ET.

While i agree about staying in the power band. OP will not need 3.73's when he already has 3.55's.

3.31's are a good gear for this car. I still believe for an all out n/a car 3.31's are very suitable.

-Thomas

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Again, 3.31s aren't bad as the car is already a monster as it is. But 3.73s will make the car feel lighter and the car will accelerate quicker (given the traction).

It is very well known in the mustang community that N/A mustangs LOVE steeper gears. So 3.31s would not be a popular choice.

Maybe your tune was off. There is nothing lazy about my car with 3.31s. Actually last time at the track I destroyed a 3.73 and a 4.10 car and both were also in shock I had 3.31s. How bout all them autos with really tall gearing? He'll they don't even get out of third. Where is all of their loss cause I believe the fastest Na autos all finish in 3rd. How bout aed picking et and mph switch from 3.73s to 3.55s. I wish he didn't total the car and tried 3.31s just to compare.

At tracks, you can destroy cars much faster than you. I have seen it happen many times, and I have done it myself many times. I never take track times seriously because a car I beat, ran quicker times consistently, beat me the same day from a roll every time.

Gearing is not the answer.

Disagreed. Gearing is a very important part of the car's performance.

Here's my car vs a 4.10. My car was and still is 3.31's even better now with the twins. But this race was when I was NA, stainless works long tubes and ORX with stainless works retro chamber cat back, and JLT intake AED tune as well at the time. The camera car is 4.10's like I said with cai, boss intake mani, flow master cat back system. This car has gone 11.9 as well and I put that much on him.

Zach Vs Rance 1 - YouTube

Anything happens on the streets. a lot variables. You say his car went 11.9 and that is with his driving. What did yours run? if it is slower, then it should be your answer. I will say this, his car should go quicker than 11.9 with the right driver. 4.10s are awesome gears for track for N/A mustangs

for a turbo car, i would agree with 3.31s.

I personally enjoy 3:31's with the boss IM. Is it going to get the best 1/4 mile time? Prob not, depends on what you want. I personally prefer spontaneous races on the street be it a dig race or a roll race. 3:73+ Isn't going to be fun trying to hook on the street. I can break 315 DR's loose from a 1st gear roll with 3:31's.... I've raced a few 3:73 cars from digs/rolls seem to do just fine.

When you own a Procharged Gen 1 for 10 years and get 8MPG HWY(5MPG if you're getting on it) You tend to like being able to throw it in 6th and get 26/27 MPG. "Lazy Gear" or not a lot of guys swapping out of 3:73's to go to 3:31's once they go FI. So, if it's hurting you a tenth or 2 who really cares?! always someone out there faster than you are.

So you agree that going to a lower gear will hurt .1 or .2. That is the whole point. steeper gear will make you go quicker, especially in an N/A mustang.

if you personally enjoy the 3.31s, that is perfectly fine. we have our cars to enjoy them. Also, I would still keep my 3.73s even after FI, unless I was making some serious power, then I would take it down to 3.55. Definitely not 3.31s.

Also, of those spontaneous street races, includes a SL550 Roadster that was wanting to do 80MPH highway roll's with me and I put two cars on him 80-155 plus I had a passenger. Don't see a 3:73 car doing that. I just feel like 3:31's are a great all around gear :/

I would race you, or anyone for fun, for bragging rights. you in a bone stock 5.0 with 3.31s and me in a bone stock 5.0 with 3.73s. 3.73s all around better gearing for these cars, N/A mustangs.

says none of the guys with 373's and boost.

I would love to have 3.73s with FI. right around 550rwhp 550rwtq. Animal! Anything higher than that, I would prefer 3.55s. I would never go to 3.31s unless I was running turbo.

^^Everything I said is my opinion and personal experience.:beer:

Laloosh

Established Member
Track results in the bag. How does 11s on stock tires full weight in a Mt 3.31 car sound? car picked up 2 tenths and 3mph breaking 120 :). Ill make a thread when I get home...0h oddly enlighten there was a 3.73 car there with everything I have and long tubes. he trapped lower and et'ed higher.....

Laloosh

Established Member
People need to stop using past mustang experiences. The 4-5 shift in a stock 3.73 car is like 112 mph...I think Honda civics have longer gearing...

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
I have already done it in the past.

3.73 > 3.31 :beer:

Proof? Timeslips? Thread? Same day? Within 48 hours of eachothers?

Would really like to see proof on this. My car with 3.31's and boss intake did not feel lazy at all, I swapped in 3.73's only for the hell of it.

-Thomas

burke985

Established Member
I Dont have timeslips yet and wont probably for another couple months as i want my car finished from the modding i want to do before i hit the track. I just had the 3.73's installed today and all i can say is ....HOLY F-ING Shit this car is an absolute beast now for what i have done to it , 7500 comes so fast and i never felt like i left the power band for a second. My poor tires that are basically brand new my wife is gonna be so pissed when i gotta buy new ones in 2 months but OMG it is awesome. IM not disagreeing about the 3.31's being a great choice but these 3.73's are rediculous

musclefan21

Established Member
Proof? Timeslips? Thread? Same day? Within 48 hours of eachothers?

Would really like to see proof on this. My car with 3.31's and boss intake did not feel lazy at all, I swapped in 3.73's only for the hell of it.

-Thomas

I had an 07 GT wit 3.31s and threw 4.10s and the difference was not something to joke about.

i ran 13.4@103 stock. with only intake, midpipe, e-mail tune and 4.10s, i ran 12.6@110mph. the car felt like an animal with 4.10s.

let alone my many races against cars geared and stock gears and the different results.

there are many people can back me up as I have done nothing but racing for years with various cars. Just take my word for it. :beer:

Your car is already fast with 3.31s and felt like an animal i bet. so with 3.73s, you can tell the difference with time slips. i hope you ran your car with 3.31s before, because you WILL go quicker at track with 3.73s.

01bluesnake

Established Member
I have 3.31's and car runs the times and gets great MPG. 3.31 gears in this car feel like my cobra with did 4.10's. The gearing in the trans is the big difference on these, which doesn't make gears a necessity like previous mustangs. Power will also come into play, the more you have the less gear you need. The Getrag trans is a different animal.

Last edited:

musclefan21

Established Member
I have 3.31's and car runs the times and gets great MPG. 3.31 gears in this car feel like my cobra with did 4.10's. The gearing in the trans is the big difference on these, which doesn't make gears a necessity like previous mustangs. Power will also come into play, the more you have the less gear you need. The Getrag trans is a different animal.

I bet you would pull a better time with 3.73s with your driving Drew ;-)

musclefan21

Established Member
Negative. His et was worse and his mph was worse.

you said he trapped lower, ETed higher. I took that as he did better. But doesnt matter, a 3.73 car will ET higher than 3.31 car.

You sure a hell do if you do anything to the car and leave the tires alone. Very clear you have zero experience with this on the new 5.0.

you dont have shift to 5th at track. You can finish the 1/4 mile in 4th with the stock 19'" tires. Arent they 27" tall? Unless you make more power or have shorter tires you dont. Shifting to 5th will hurt you more than it helps you. You should be at about 6500-6700rpm in 4th at the finish line this way.

If you have shorter tires, and you have to shift to 5th, you can still be quicker than a 3.31 car that stays in 4th. Unless you cant shift.

I personally would be shift at about 6500rpm which is where the 5.0s peak and ride the 4th to the finish line which should be at about 6700~rpm give or take. that should result in times better than shifting to 5th right before the finish line and lose a bit of ET and trap.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
When I was NA on stock 18in pirrellis I was crossing the traps in 4th at 7-7100 with 3.31s. Most everyone here with 3.73s complained about the 5th gear shift on the stock tires and used a tire swap to help avoid the 5th gear shift.

musclefan21

Established Member
When I was NA on stock 18in pirrellis I was crossing the traps in 4th at 7-7100 with 3.31s. Most everyone here with 3.73s complained about the 5th gear shift on the stock tires and used a tire swap to help avoid the 5th gear shift.

with stock 18s, i think you are at 26" tall tire. I honestly had forgotten these cars came with 18s. I thought they were all 19s. Yeah with 3.73s you would shift to 5th, but you would not be right at the finish line. You could still squeeze very good times.

Anyway, back to the debate, 3.73 geared 5.0 will go quicker against a 3.31 geared 5.0 under similar conditions.

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
you said he trapped lower, ETed higher. I took that as he did better. But doesnt matter, a 3.73 car will ET higher than 3.31 car.

you dont have shift to 5th at track. You can finish the 1/4 mile in 4th with the stock 19'" tires. Arent they 27" tall? Unless you make more power or have shorter tires you dont. Shifting to 5th will hurt you more than it helps you. You should be at about 6500-6700rpm in 4th at the finish line this way.

If you have shorter tires, and you have to shift to 5th, you can still be quicker than a 3.31 car that stays in 4th. Unless you cant shift.

I personally would be shift at about 6500rpm which is where the 5.0s peak and ride the 4th to the finish line which should be at about 6700~rpm give or take. that should result in times better than shifting to 5th right before the finish line and lose a bit of ET and trap.

ET'd higher would be a slower time. And trapped lower would be a lower mph. :beer:

BlackFive.0

Established Member
u6azete3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread