Just picked up an 03 cobra w/12k - time for a to do list

Jkay98

Established Member
I've been looking for a cobra for the past couple years when I finally found my black 03 cobra, one owner with 12,000 miles build number 3781. It was traded in a week ago at a dealership and I scooped it up for 22 grand. The only mods that it has are K&N filter, SLP exhaust (not sure if its a LM 1 or 2 but its loud and raspy) and it has Ford 3.73 gears I only know this because I have the box with the stock 3.55s.

So my question is where should I start when it comes to mods?

Mechanically, I would like to change the blower pulley and tune, short throw shifter, and lowering springs (nothing too low).

Visually, I would like get smoked headlights, 20% tint and eventually chrome or black rims.

I was also thinking of flushing the fluids and changing the oil and filter the dealer just put in it.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Here are some quick picks I took I am working on waxing it and removing the buffing compound from the butcher job the dealer did.

Last edited:

97StangSVT

Established Member
Welcome and congrats! I have a Steeda Tri-Ax shifter for sale if you are interested. Let me know.

Joe

Comp281

Established Member
H&R race springs would be my recommendation if you don't want to go too low. I personally would go with chrome wheels - maybe the AFS 18" staggered replicas. I have the machined finish but on black I think chrome looks better. It will look super clean and then you can put a wider tire in the rear. I'm not into the all black look but that's just me.

For performance, if you are going to get a pulley & tune, I would suggest getting an Accufab or Dragon TB while you're at it. Then you get it tuned once and you'll be done for a while. That is actually my current and favorite setup. I've tried a bunch of things but at this point, I think the car is plenty fast with an intake, TB, 3.0 pulley, and H pipe+Cat back. People go absolutely crazy with these cars but if you're just looking to have some fun and not break the bank, that seems to be a good combo. A lot of people put a smaller pulley like a 2.76 but on a stock blower you will make more heat and hardly any more hp so I like the 3.0.

Here's my last CO with H&R race springs & AFS 18x9 front, 18x10.5 rear with BFG 315 rears:

null_zps3b39eb1d.jpg

A8DA313C-ED73-4CD6-AAF2-849D7941FDBE_zpsozwrxpu9.jpg

I have a different CO coupe now but it's set up the same way.

Last edited:

maverick0817

Established Member
I have a 2.8 pulley and the car doesn't really heat soak. With a jlt, 2.8, o/r prochamber, Afco Heat Exchanger, and flowmaster catback, car made 461 hp and 475 torque with a mail order tune from VMP.

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
Step one should definitely be to dump whatever oil they put in and replace with at least Mobile One. Don't hard launch the car until you buy either the ford racing diff cover or a diff brace + upgraded diff bushings. Searching for things like "cracked differential" and "wheel hop" will provide the reasons why :)

Jkay98

Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I am probably going to pick up some oil and a filter today. I was thinking about Amsoil but may just do mobile one for now. I am getting the steeda tri ax shifter so I may change out the fluid in the tranny when I install it.

I like all of your suggestions Comp, I think a few mild mods and a tune would be good enough for me. Those springs look like they close up the wheel gap nice without it being too low. I was going to try to get some used FR500 Ford rims but the kid sold them.

I did notice the rear diff is leaking some fluid but I think it wasn't sealed good when the gears were changed out. I checked the cover bolts and they are tight. I may take it back to the dealer since I got a 6 month 6k warranty on engine, transmission and drive line.

Last edited:

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Thanks for the advice. I am probably going to pick up some oil and a filter today. I was thinking about Amsoil but may just do mobile one for now. I am getting the steeda tri ax shifter so I may change out the fluid in the tranny when I install it.

I like all of your suggestions Comp, I think a few mild mods and a tune would be good enough for me. Those springs look like they close up the wheel gap nice without it being too low. I was going to try to get some used FR500 Ford rims but the kid sold them.

I did notice the rear diff is leaking some fluid but I think it wasn't sealed good when the gears were changed out. I checked the cover bolts and they are tight. I may take it back to the dealer since I got a 6 month 6k warranty on engine, transmission and drive line.

Congrats on the purchase if you go Amsoil sign up to be a preferred customer you can get it at wholesale. Change the trans fluid while the shifter is out drain old fluid make sure you can get the fill plug out before you drain fill from where the shifter is it's easier. Also diff covers on these cars are known to leak mine does get a FRPP differential cover and seal with lube locker that is in my list I've only got the brace I would do it once and be done good luck post pics.

Last edited:

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
it's an 11 year old sports car.....instead of modding the crap out of it right away why don't you enjoy the car for a few months, get to know it and see where YOU think it needs to be improved.

Also, think about your long term goals too....nothing worse than doing the same mod twice.

Comp281

Established Member

Any time. I neglected to reiterate what the other guys said about a diff brace or cover. I have always put the billetflow brace on my cars. It is cheap insurance. Otherwise you may crack the cover if you are out playing around and you hit a bump under heavy acceleration. Also - you may want to enjoy the car the way it is for this summer and then change it once you get adjusted to the current setup. I didn't think to mention that but that's what I did when I bought my first one. Then you appreciate and really feel the power updates. I drove mine for the spring/summer bone stock and then did some mods over the winter. That's still how I do it. Enjoy it in the summer, and do the modding in the winter so you can take your time researching parts.

Jkay98

Established Member
I understand where you guys are coming from in regards to waiting to do mods. For now I just want to do the basics and research for my future plans.
To be honest though, I expected this car to be faster then what it is. Ive driven many cars since I worked at a family garage and I've owned a WRX and G35 but they were both AWD and the WRX was turbo with a few mods and tune. You can't really compare supercharged to turbo or AWD to RWD.
I agree theres no point of doing something twice, so since I want to lower it I should probably wait and do everything to IRS at once.

braindontstop31

Established Member
Nice find and you did good on the price. I payed 29k for my 2600 mile Vert last year.
Take your time and do a lot of reading hear on SVTP there is a lot of knowledge with
these guys. I have spent many hours reading old/new post.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I understand where you guys are coming from in regards to waiting to do mods. For now I just want to do the basics and research for my future plans.
To be honest though, I expected this car to be faster then what it is. Ive driven many cars since I worked at a family garage and I've owned a WRX and G35 but they were both AWD and the WRX was turbo with a few mods and tune. You can't really compare supercharged to turbo or AWD to RWD.
I agree theres no point of doing something twice, so since I want to lower it I should probably wait and do everything to IRS at once.

I actually thought the same thing recently once I put a tvs blower on. It doesn't seem overly fast too me. Maybe I got use to it to fast. I'll have to give a friend a ride to see what they think.

Users who are viewing this thread