Just ordered 2.9 Whipple!! 1st owner!!

dgksleeper

Established Member
PLEASE READ

I'm gonna chime in here. MY tuner who we will leave unnamed at this point as I don't want this to be a bash fest. He is a very good and well known tuner respected by alot of people He says 2.3 only. He says the 3.4 is way to big for our I/C system. He has no opinion on the 2.9 but htinks it will be a happy medium or still to big. I would likr to achieve 700 WHP, and am currenly 500. He says the 2.3's are gonna max out (SAFELY TUNED) around 600-620. He also says a better combo is a 2.3 witha race gas tune anda 125 shot to achieve the 700-725 range.

Sorry to ask here but I would imagine most in here would have some knowledge and I have searchd and searched for info.

He has instaled one 3.4 on a Cobra and said it's nothing but problem He also states that you can get more power but the IAT's etc are reaL HIGH at 25psi. I want more HP but don't want to blow it up. He says all these guys tuning these on the edge will learn what he did a long time ago.

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE AS i AM GOING TO GET A 2.3 W/ NITROUS OR A 2.9 WITHOUT??????????????????????????

P.S. he says the stock clutch ( at any power level is the way to go ) but I just ordered a Promotion 670HP application so we will see as my stock clutch stinks at the track dumping at 4500-5k and MPH is down like 8-9MPH

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
PLEASE READ

I'm gonna chime in here. MY tuner who we will leave unnamed at this point as I don't want this to be a bash fest. He is a very good and well known tuner respected by alot of people He says 2.3 only. He says the 3.4 is way to big for our I/C system. He has no opinion on the 2.9 but htinks it will be a happy medium or still to big. I would likr to achieve 700 WHP, and am currenly 500. He says the 2.3's are gonna max out (SAFELY TUNED) around 600-620. He also says a better combo is a 2.3 witha race gas tune anda 125 shot to achieve the 700-725 range.

Sorry to ask here but I would imagine most in here would have some knowledge and I have searchd and searched for info.

He has instaled one 3.4 on a Cobra and said it's nothing but problem He also states that you can get more power but the IAT's etc are reaL HIGH at 25psi. I want more HP but don't want to blow it up. He says all these guys tuning these on the edge will learn what he did a long time ago.

ANY THOUGHTS PLEASE AS i AM GOING TO GET A 2.3 W/ NITROUS OR A 2.9 WITHOUT??????????????????????????

P.S. he says the stock clutch ( at any power level is the way to go ) but I just ordered a Promotion 670HP application so we will see as my stock clutch stinks at the track dumping at 4500-5k and MPH is down like 8-9MPH

Stock clutch at any power level!! no kidding! wow I guess that's good if you want to be replacing clutches every pass. Here is something to think about. Are you going to listen to your 1 tuner? Or whats been proven time and time again?? Mcleod is probably one of the best clutches money can buy. Surly your not going to tell them hey your clutch is alright but the stock 04 cobra clutch is better. What it comes down to is personal preference. Your tuner whoever that may be might just feel more comfortable tuning lower hp cars. For me I would buy the 2.9 over nitrous anyday. I can gurantee that whipple wouldn't make a supercharger that is unsafe for our cars. They even stated that the 3.4 is pretty much meant for a fully built car. :beer: good luck

dgksleeper

Established Member
Stock clutch at any power level!! no kidding! wow I guess that's good if you want to be replacing clutches every pass. Here is something to think about. Are you going to listen to your 1 tuner? Or whats been proven time and time again?? Mcleod is probably one of the best clutches money can buy. Surly your not going to tell them hey your clutch is alright but the stock 04 cobra clutch is better. What it comes down to is personal preference. Your tuner whoever that may be might just feel more comfortable tuning lower hp cars. For me I would buy the 2.9 over nitrous anyday. I can gurantee that whipple wouldn't make a supercharger that is unsafe for our cars. They even stated that the 3.4 is pretty much meant for a fully built car. :beer: good luck

Thanks for the response and he is a little conservative. I listened the first time on the clutch and have had issues since. It never smelled at the track untill it was replaced after totally cooking it I'm hoping Walt at Promotion hooked me up with a good one. My tuner did say the Specs etc grab harder but then other stuff breaks. He did say they hit way harder than stock. I have read so much on cluthes lately my head is spiining but I have the ne going in from Walt.

I want the 2.9 but want to see what numbers there going to put out. He did NOT say no to the 2.9 , he said remains to be seen

Whats everyones take on our I/C system not being able to keep up ??

Last edited:

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
You're I/C is fine for taking the hp. You don't think KB and whipple don't look into the effiecency of the intercooler? You'll be fine. They make 900rwhp through these intercoolers. Now would I go and run WOT for 4hrs at a time with that much hp no i definatley wouldn't. But for drag racing and street driving it'll be just fine. Also you can upgrade lots of things on the 04 cobra's, heat exchangers, even the belly intercooler and be upgraded. He actually said EVERYTHING else will break lol?? wow you might want to look into a new tuner. Mcleod is ran in so many open track cars and drag racers it's unreal. That's my .02.

dgksleeper

Established Member
You're I/C is fine for taking the hp. You don't think KB and whipple don't look into the effiecency of the intercooler? You'll be fine. They make 900rwhp through these intercoolers. Now would I go and run WOT for 4hrs at a time with that much hp no i definatley wouldn't. But for drag racing and street driving it'll be just fine. Also you can upgrade lots of things on the 04 cobra's, heat exchangers, even the belly intercooler and be upgraded. He actually said EVERYTHING else will break lol?? wow you might want to look into a new tuner. Mcleod is ran in so many open track cars and drag racers it's unreal. That's my .02.

I have a larger H/E with fans. I also just ordered the race grip package from MM and a 26 spline input shaft.

What he means is the trans will take a beating more form the clutch engaging so hard I guess. He is set in his ways and has some of the fastest Mustangs out. I most likely will do the 2.9 as I'm not to cool on running nitrous through my car. UGhhhhhh why can't this stuff be simple lol.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
It is very simple. He is right. A grippy clutch with put more strain on the trans. But that's the name of the game hint why people who build race cars have to build every compenent of the car. Energy and power transfers through all the components of the vehicle inself. SO yes it will put more strain on the tranny. But the T56 is a very solid transmission. I wouldn't be to worried about it espeically since it sounds like you o/t your car. Nitrous in my opinion is dangerous unless it's direct port but that's just me. I would do a 2.9 before I did nitrous on my car. What you need to look at is not just what your tuner says who's strapped in his ways. you need to look at facts and what's been proven time and time again.

Last edited:

2003snake

Established Member
I will be the one involved with the install - I have the 3.4 and IMO our cars are in dire need of the Killer Chiller, even with out stock estup (the whole reason why I became a dealer for them) - I used to see IAT2's as high as in the 170's - No longer with the KC. I have the stock (3.4 W) setup (for 25#'s) but am only seeing about 21# due to the nature of my setup (5.0 stroker, built to the hilt). Either way, I know some Eaton users that have complained about high IAT2's.....

Everyone stands to benefit from the KC since the car starts pulling timing above 100*! It is like having winter time power with summer time traction with it ..........

As for the clutch goes, if your tuner mentioned that the stock clutch would be fine then it is time to find another tuner, I would not jam more than 450 through the stock unit.....

Jason Shepherd
Shepherd Enterprises

Anchor Room / Sauces4u

dgksleeper

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys and all is welcomed. I would love to get a 2.9 so I will see the results and make a decision.

He just says stock clutch because of chatter etc and tranny strainage. Like I said I went with a Kevlar/ceramic setup from promotion. It will be going in next week hopefully

cbr repsol

Established Member
PLEASE READ

Your tuner is full of it....Most tuners ive run across dont know shit. Just plug in the car a make a few adjustments. As far a mechanical work goes people always hit me up cause their tuner says your motors shot and all they can do is install a crate motor. I get my hands dirty and do the rebuild myself.

O.p. nice to finally see that 2.9 Ive installed one on a gt500 . I was really happy to see that whipple put the inlet on the passenger side like the factory did for our cars. :rockon:

GoatSlayer

Banned
Your tuner is full of it....Most tuners ive run across dont know shit. Just plug in the car a make a few adjustments. As far a mechanical work goes people always hit me up cause their tuner says your motors shot and all they can do is install a crate motor. I get my hands dirty and do the rebuild myself.

O.p. nice to finally see that 2.9 Ive installed one on a gt500 . I was really happy to see that whipple put the inlet on the passenger side like the factory did for our cars. :rockon:

Not hijacking the thread. I have an 01 cobra that i am putting a 03 complete motor in and deciding whether to go with the 2.3 whipple or 2.9. How hard is it to install this motors. Btw i pulled my 01 motor out with no physical help from no one.

liedenfrost

Established Member

Regarding the stock clutch; I think it depends on what you do with the car. The stock clutch can handle big power especially on the street because YOUR TIRES SPIN. I agree with the tuner that the stock clutch is great for the street at any power level. 600 rwhp or 1000 rwhp on the street....as long the tires don't hook...the clutch will hold.
The stock clutch won't last long at the track with extreme traction on slicks with a twinscrew launching at 4000 rpm. Not everyone takes their car to the track, and the stock clutch would be fine on a street only driven car with a twinscrew.

98 Saleen Cobra

Established Member
^^ well yes in that case it's true. but who likes to drive around just spinning everywhere lol.

liedenfrost

Established Member
^^ well yes in that case it's true. but who likes to drive around just spinning everywhere lol.

I think too many people drive around spinning. Sticky tires are a must on these cars. That being said, I think most people have trouble hooking on the street with a twinscrew. When I mean hooking...I mean every gear. I have 315 NT05R's aired down to 20 psi with only 500 rwhp and still spin in 1st sometimes. Hoosiers, Nitto NT05R's, MT, and BFG...doesn't really matter what you have....we have trouble hooking much over 600 rwhp/600 tq on the street.

My buddy had a 24 psi Gen II Whipple setup that layed down 647 rwtq and the stock clutch held on the dyno. He replaced the clutch with a Spec 3+, but when he removed the stock clutch...it looked new. I don't know how long it would have lasted though. :)
I'd be curious to hear from some twinscrew users who still have the stock clutch and just do street pulls.... no track use.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread