Just moved into my first place

16kOrBust

Established Member
Not really a point to this thread other than me being excited about the move! I had been renting my parents' house with two of my brothers for a few years since graduating from college (they spend most of the year in Florida), but in April they decided to come home early and put the house up for sale. It sold in about 5 days :)uh oh:) and I just happened to be getting very serious with the most amazing girl I've ever known right about that time. She was looking to get out of her mom's house and I just got a big raise with a new position at my company at the beginning of this year, so it was a no-brainer. We just moved in over the weekend.

We're renting the first floor of a two-family house that her company owns, so they're giving us a great deal on it. The location is perfect: five minutes from her work and ten from mine, plus five from my brother's place. I could walk to the mall/hospital/Target since we're so close, but it's still quiet and secluded since we're at the end of a dead end. And most importantly, we've got a nice sized yard for her dog and a large garage with an extra storage space linked to the garage (great for our bikes). The neighbors upstairs are even great (very easygoing woman and her daughter, but she's used to a lot of kids around so she basically told us to just live our lives and not worry about noise or ever bothering her - she works 6 days a week anyways).

While I lived "on my own" in college for four years, it was still in the dorms; having a place like this all to ourselves is just awesome. Setting up each room to look and feel exactly how I want it to is the best feeling. It's a two bedroom, so being that we're both musicians, we're turning the second one into a studio/music room/office. It'll be great to finally have a permanent practice room and area to record demos and stuff.

We also just picked up a nice 50" Panasonic plasma and she's got the surround sound and XBOX already (yeah, she's awesome), so I'm pumped. The guy was there today hooking up the cable and internet and I went with the top of the line HD TV package. Coming from a house where we never had more than basic cable (and for years didn't even have that), it's gonna be a big jump for me. The place is definitely gonna be all about the electronics and entertainment, and having someone who's just as into all that as I am is amazing.

Anyways, sorry for the random rant. I'm just excited beyond belief right now, if not a little wiped from moving all weekend. Just wanted to share the enthusiasm. Anyone who remembers moving into their first place probably understands. :beer: :rockon: :banana:

Last edited:

Grabber

Yep...
Established Member
Congrats man. I loved it when I moved into my first place 4 or so years ago.

It was a great experience for sure.

Darko

Burn-N-Out
Established Member
Thats awesome! Im currently looking around. Just got a new job. After I take care of few things Ill be able to move out into some local appt. Congrats man!

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
Being on your own is ftw.

Youll realize this the first time you get up in the middle of the night and take a piss butt nekkid with the door open and nobody to tell you shit about it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
You have a right to be excited about your first home. That's really cool. Enjoy it. :)

oldmodman

Established Member
Since you already bought the big TV your next major purchase should be a washer & dryer. Unless the house already has one. The money you will blow on a laundromat will pay for one in a little over a year.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Since you already bought the big TV your next major purchase should be a washer & dryer. Unless the house already has one. The money you will blow on a laundromat will pay for one in a little over a year.

Yeah, we've got some family/friend hookups on the washer/dryer, so we're just waiting to be able to pick them up. Down the road we'll go with a nice new set, but for now the TV was a priority on the list. :lol1:

Still need a damn vacuum, though. Those Dysons are expensive but they look pretty sweet...as far as a vacuum goes, anyways.

16kOrBust

Established Member
Being on your own is ftw.

Youll realize this the first time you get up in the middle of the night and take a piss butt nekkid with the door open and nobody to tell you shit about it.

I also realized it having sex in three different rooms last night, particularly on the couch in the living room in front of the 50" plasma with surround sound and the SPEED channel on. :lol1:

Ironhand

Banned
Me and my girlfriend just got our own place as well.

3 bedroom, 2 story house, with a full basement and 1 car garage. Has a yard for my German Shepard and is very quiet.

I moved from Central Florida to Madison, Wisconsin though.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I moved out 6 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I moved out 6 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did.
I'm starting to realize that, but I think it will really sink in once we're a bit more settled in and not running around like crazy still moving stuff, changing addresses, cleaning and unpacking, etc. I have a feeling it will be another week or so of work before we're feeling like we can calm down, and we're going to Montreal for my birthday this weekend so that pretty much kills our three day weekend as far as working on the place goes. Gonna be totally worth it, though.
Congratulations. I wish I could live back at my parents to be honest. I could save lots of money, LOL.
I can't disagree with the thought process here. When I was at home I could spend a bunch, save a bunch, and still have money leftover. I never had to think about dropping cash on some item I wanted or just going out for the hell of it, but now with the extra expenses I'm going to be on a much stricter budget than I was if I want to still be putting money away for a house down the road. We're still making enough to enjoy ourselves, but the sort of mindless spending just for the hell of it is a thing of the past.

I'm looking at it in a positive way, though, because I've always been very financially-minded; I just had trouble restraining myself sometimes because I didn't have to worry about what I could really afford and what I couldn't. I had cheap rent and whenever my parents were home, I made out on things like food and other expenses. This move is going to help me stick with my financial goals and budget a lot better than I have in the past when it just didn't matter as much.

Of course, now I look back and think about all of the extra savings I could have put away while I had the chance. I got a lot of debt paid off, which is awesome, but it would have been nice to have a bigger amount sitting in the savings account to help cover some of these moving expenses and still have a strong safety net.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
I'm starting to realize that, but I think it will really sink in once we're a bit more settled in and not running around like crazy still moving stuff, changing addresses, cleaning and unpacking, etc. I have a feeling it will be another week or so of work before we're feeling like we can calm down, and we're going to Montreal for my birthday this weekend so that pretty much kills our three day weekend as far as working on the place goes. Gonna be totally worth it, though.

I moved straight out my parents house at 19 into my house that I have now. I worked really hard, and paid triple payments, but we will pay it off at the end of 2012. Its been so worth it, other then the neighbor, that I have. Lets just say I wont mind when he dies of lung cancer. Counting the days, counting the days.

sunburned

I miss my torque
Established Member
Had my own apartment for a year and it was awesome. Except for the payment... Renting a room in a house with a few other guys now and paying nothing in comparison. Hopefully I'll actually be buying a place in the next year or so, can't wait for that.

Users who are viewing this thread