Just joined the 335/30-18 club :)

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
335 will look fugly on anything smaller than a 11" wheel. BFG run on the widerside, and a 11.5" wheel would look better still with them. I knew someone with 295 BFG DR's mounted on a 9" wheel and they bulged like crazy, and almost looked like his tires were flat. Also met, and talked to a guy with a C5Z with 315 BFG DR's mounted on 10.5" wheels, and they bulged pretty damn bad. He had another set of the same wheels with 295 BFG DR's, and they looked much better, and not at all undersized for that wide a wheel.

True 315's even bulge some on a 10.5" wheel.

IMO too many people jump on the wider is better bandwagon. While I like a wide tire, too wide a tire for any given wheel is not going to look good or handle well at all.

I have 345s on 11" wheels and they really don't buldge at all. By the way OP, I don't think they look bad at all on your car, rock on! :beer:

4755069611_c9c63da07a_b.jpg

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I have 345s on 11" wheels and they really don't buldge at all.
:dw::??::shrug:

4763791395_b47ed3deaf_b.jpg

Sorry man, I must not be looking at the same car as you. They buldge considerably.

I'm not saying your car isn't sweet looking, but to say that your tires
Don't Buldge" is crazy.

Jroc

Established Member
I have 345s on 11" wheels and they really don't buldge at all. By the way OP, I don't think they look bad at all on your car, rock on! :beer:

4755069611_c9c63da07a_b.jpg

Sorry dude, but they do bulge. Vipers come factory with 345's, but I'm 99% sure that they're mounted on 13" wide wheels. Like I said I've seen a Z06 with 10.5" wheels wearing BFG DR's in a 315, and they had noticable bulge, and then when you take the 30 mm difference between the two tires that = 1.181", and then the .500" difference in wheel width with then yeah 345's will bulge on a 11" wide wheel. A 315 BFG DR will probably be perfect for an 11" wide wheel.

Don't get me wrong I've always promoted mounting Nitto 315's on the factory wheels because its a cheap tire that will hook up well on the street, and still be pretty safe. Nitto 315's run very small compared to other 315's though but they still have noticable bulge, but some of that is offset by the fact that they have a taller sidewall.

It just seems that lately many are getting on the "I've got to run the widest tires possible" fad, and they are doing it on wheels that are much smaller than the ones that the tires were ment to fit on. By doing so you are hurting the cars overall performance, and its not really the safest thing to do either.

Even my Pirelli PZero Rosso's in a 315 bulged slightly on my 10.5" wide wheels.
fwkv37.jpg

Heres my old Falken Azenis RT615 315's on my 10.5" wheels. They fit perfect.
r1lzrp.jpg

Heres my factory wheels with 315 Nitto 555R's.
wimybo.jpg

Last edited:

SlowSVT

Established Member
Sorry dude, but they do bulge. Vipers come factory with 345's, but I'm 99% sure that they're mounted on 13" wide wheels. Like I said I've seen a Z06 with 10.5" wheels wearing BFG DR's in a 315, and they had noticable bulge, and then when you take the 30 mm difference between the two tires that = 1.181", and then the .500" difference in wheel width with then yeah 345's will bulge on a 11" wide wheel. A 315 BFG DR will probably be perfect for an 11" wide wheel.

Don't get me wrong I've always promoted mounting Nitto 315's on the factory wheels because its a cheap tire that will hook up well on the street, and still be pretty safe. Nitto 315's run very small compared to other 315's though but they still have noticable bulge, but some of that is offset by the fact that they have a taller sidewall.

It just seems that lately many are getting on the "I've got to run the widest tires possible" fad, and they are doing it on wheels that are much smaller than the ones that the tires were ment to fit on. By doing so you are hurting the cars overall performance, and its not really the safest thing to do either.

.....both you and I know the reason for mounting 345 on a Mustang has nothing to do with performance and everything to do about making a statement.

Most of the road racers run 275 all around and a drag racers runs skinnies up front. That has got to make for one very heavy wheel assembly. The engine now has more inertia to overcome (in both accellerating and stopping), increased rolling resistance and a less compliance to the road surface. The 275 front/315 back is a nice tire combo. This is a bit over the top. Looks cool thought :coolman:.......:)idea: see, I just proved my point!)

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
:dw::??::shrug:

4763791395_b47ed3deaf_b.jpg

Sorry man, I must not be looking at the same car as you. They buldge considerably.

I'm not saying your car isn't sweet looking, but to say that your tires
Don't Buldge" is crazy.

I guess you're not, seeing that I look at the car every phuckin day of my life..look at the picture of the rim facing the side..can't get any more of an acurate picture than a straight on side shot. If you want to see bulge, look at the 345s on 18x10 Saleens a member has. These arn't even close. Of course there's going to be a LITTLE sidewall bulge with a 345 on an 11" rim, but to say a setup like mine is unsafe or looks stupid, or to say mine bulge considerably is stupid IMO. What some of you consider "considerable bulge" makes me wonder what kind of bricks you guys would shit looking at a 14x32 tire. :rollseyes

0606mmfp_04z+1979_ford_mustang+left_front_view.jpg

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
I love my 335 Nitto 555R's on 10.5" wheel.
DSC_1116.jpg

Thanks for answering my question...my 315's are about to get finished off at the track this weekend and I was contemplating ordering some 335's...now that I see they will fit and look badass, it's on!:rockon:

*Edit* Nevermind...I've got 17" wheels and nobody makes a 335 for 17" wheels, unless you guys know something I don't.

Last edited:

RGrossman

Established Member
For me, there needs to be some buldge to look decent in the back. Just my IMO. I can't stand when I see the lip of the rim even or out further then the tire.

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Part of the "monster meat" look is a little bulge on the back. Not like a 315 on a 9" rim bulge, but bulge like any normal tire on any normal car look. Having the lip stick out or be even with the tire just makes it look like you have rubber bands wrapped around your wheels. The way some of you bitch about "tire bulge" makes me :dw::dw:

I don't see anybody bitching about "bulge" whenever someone posts pics of their car wearing slicks, but God forbid you have the same look with street tires, right?

2482983413_be03d597f9.jpg

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Part of the "monster meat" look is a little bulge on the back. Not like a 315 on a 9" rim bulge, but bulge like any normal tire on any normal car look. Having the lip stick out or be even with the tire just makes it look like you have rubber bands wrapped around your wheels. The way some of you bitch about "tire bulge" makes me :dw::dw:

Thank you!! :beer:

For me, there needs to be some buldge to look decent in the back. Just my IMO. I can't stand when I see the lip of the rim even or out further then the tire.

Glad some of you guys get it. I think it looks good. I hate the flush look on rear tires. There's a local guy who has 18x11s on his mustang with 295 tires and they look ruhtarddded on it.

Thanks for answering my question...my 315's are about to get finished off at the track this weekend and I was contemplating ordering some 335's...now that I see they will fit and look badass, it's on!:rockon:

*Edit* Nevermind...I've got 17" wheels and nobody makes a 335 for 17" wheels, unless you guys know something I don't.

Quite a few people do brotha. Michilen Pilot Sports, Pirellis, Kumhos, and Hoosier makes a nice 335 drag radial if you want to go that route.

Tire Search Results

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
If one can't provide information, i.e. pertinent facts that justify the use of an incorrect wheel/tire combo then SlowSVT's comments accurately summarize this ridiculous notion. Just because something has been done before, looks fine, looks kind of like a tire that is constructed in a completely different manner, blah, blah, blah has no relevance. If you like the look, cool. Just don't expect that opinion not to have an opposing opinion.

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
I have 315/17 toyo tq's on a 11" widend oem rim, and no bulge, looks factory, other than being wider :-D

Jroc

Established Member

I don't see anybody bitching about "bulge" whenever someone posts pics of their car wearing slicks, but God forbid you have the same look with street tires, right?

Do you honestly need someone to explain to you why people don't see problems with some buldge on a vehicle DR'ing, as opposed to bulge on a street car?

Let me help you out here. In DR'ing soft, flexible sidewalls are a good thing. Have you ever seen a picture or video of a drag slick on a powerful car flexing, and twisting on it launch? The ONLY other benefit would be ride comfort will probably improve a little. Saftely, handling, tire wear among other things are all better with a tire fitted on a wheel that's sized correctly for it. Would you rather road race with big, bulging tires, or ones sized correctly for the wheels you are using? Which would you rather have if you are do a sustained high speed run, or in a situation where your car gets caught in a slide?

Last edited:

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Do you honestly need someone to explain to you why people don't see problems with some buldge on a vehicle DR'ing, as opposed to bulge on a street car?

Let me help you out here. In DR'ing soft, flexible sidewalls are a good thing. Have you ever seen a picture or video of a drag slick on a powerful car flex and twist on it launch? The ONLY other benefit would be ride comfort will probably be improve a little. Safely, handling, tire wear among other things are all better with a tire fit on a wheel that's size correctly for it. Would you rather road race with big bulging tires or ones sized correctly for the wheels you are using? Which would you rather have if you are do a sustained high speed run, or in a situation where your car gets caught in a slide.

+1 bro!

Wide tires? let me tell'ya about when I was teen in the early to mid 70s. M/T n-50s and Cragers stick'n a foot out of the quater panels....LOL! and that was the style!!

Last edited:

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
I guess you're not, seeing that I look at the car every phuckin day of my life..look at the picture of the rim facing the side..can't get any more of an acurate picture than a straight on side shot. If you want to see bulge, look at the 345s on 18x10 Saleens a member has. These arn't even close. Of course there's going to be a LITTLE sidewall bulge with a 345 on an 11" rim, but to say a setup like mine is unsafe or looks stupid, or to say mine bulge considerably is stupid IMO. What some of you consider "considerable bulge" makes me wonder what kind of bricks you guys would shit looking at a 14x32 tire. :rollseyes
Don't get your panties in a Wad! Comparing a full out DRAG CAR to your car = Apples to Oranges. Nevermind, you have you mind made up. Not even worth arguing. They look awesome! I want tires that rub and don't fit too!

Don't waste your breath. It won't help. Some people just don't get it. :rolleyes:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Don't get your panties in a Wad! Comparing a full out DRAG CAR to your car = Apples to Oranges. Nevermind, you have you mind made up. Not even worth arguing. They look awesome! I want tires that rub and don't fit too!

Don't waste your breath. It won't help. Some people just don't get it. :rolleyes:

My tires bulge on both of my street cars. Guess I suck.

3683555338_265125b526_b.jpg

03VenomBite

Established Member
I called around my local tire shops to see what they think and NOBODY wanted to even try to put a 335 on a 10.5 rim. "It's not safe." Is what they told me!

ac427cobra

FULLTILTBOOGIERACING.COM
Super Moderator
I called around my local tire shops to see what they think and NOBODY wanted to even try to put a 335 on a 10.5 rim. "It's not safe." Is what they told me!

According to the Tire-Rack, the recommended wheel width range for a Pilot Sport Cup is 11.5" - 12.5" wide for a 335/30.

Michelin Pilot Sport PS2

With liability the way it is these days it wouldn't surprise me a majority of shops would not mount these.

FWIW

:thumbsup::coolman::beer:

Teej281

Established Member

Well bulge is a little more acceptable with slicks because most of the time they are either on for the trip to and from the track and then being taken off afterwards or just on at the track period. Street tires are the ones that you drive on everyday and the fact that they bulge is not the most ideal situation. The sidewall bulge will contribute to less stability in corners and everyone likes to take a tip-toe through the twisties every once and a while and the more bulge you have, the less tight your sidewall is which makes cornering a little more dangerous. I mean when a 315 30 18 will fit perfect and have plenty of width, I think a 335 30 18 is a bit extreme and is more for looks than anything else...and i think that the safety aspect of it is more important than having another .5-1" wider tire in the rear. I mean if you go for a wider tire for traction, just get a stickier tread compound tire and keep the width to a safe, reliable width and get the same effect and be safer.

Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread