Just Installed MM Aluminum Steering Rack Bushings-Very Happy

Weslsew

Established Member
Did any of you go from poly bushings to the solid ones? Is there much difference? I just installed prothane bushings and they made a huge difference. I didn't want to cut anything and I figured the poly bushing would be easier on the rack if there were any binding

funmoneypit

Established Member
Did any of you go from poly bushings to the solid ones? Is there much difference? I just installed prothane bushings and they made a huge difference. I didn't want to cut anything and I figured the poly bushing would be easier on the rack if there were any binding

I had the factory rubber ones. I would think anything would be better than the factory so your poly ones should have been an improvement. Can't say if the aluminum would be an improvement.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Just went for a longer drive out to our lake house so roads I drive all the time. There are a couple stop signs that as I come to a stop, the road would try to pull me one way or another so much so that I had to correct for it. This time no pull at all. The car just came to a nice straight stop with no correction.

Got to say, I am very happy with this mod and recommend it to anyone that feels their steering isn't what they want.

bleedingfordblu

Established Member
haha damn, I have the poly ones brand new sitting in the trunk but everyone says the solid ones are amazing.... i just ordered the solid ones

funmoneypit

Established Member
haha damn, I have the poly ones brand new sitting in the trunk but everyone says the solid ones are amazing.... i just ordered the solid ones

I think you will be very happy. For $40 you can't go wrong. Just make sure that the bushing isn't contacting the k-member. I had to dent in the drivers side k-member (did the passenger side just for the heck of it) as it was hitting. It will hit on the lower side. If you don't, you may get some binding which will give you some annoying noises. It's not a big deal to dent it in, just use a flashlight to see if the bushing is hitting the k-member.

Another tip, remove the drivers side tire to access the steering shaft bolt. It's a no brainer once you think about it but the instructions don't say anything about it. Also make sure to put the steering shaft back on before tightening up the steering rack bushing nuts. Don't ask me how I know.

Pretty straight forward install. Give me a shout if you have any questions.

SlowSVT

Established Member
I think you will be very happy. For $40 you can't go wrong. Just make sure that the bushing isn't contacting the k-member. I had to dent in the drivers side k-member (did the passenger side just for the heck of it) as it was hitting. It will hit on the lower side. If you don't, you may get some binding which will give you some annoying noises. It's not a big deal to dent it in, just use a flashlight to see if the bushing is hitting the k-member.

Another tip, remove the drivers side tire to access the steering shaft bolt. It's a no brainer once you think about it but the instructions don't say anything about it. Also make sure to put the steering shaft back on before tightening up the steering rack bushing nuts. Don't ask me how I know.

Now get rid of the rag joint

funmoneypit

Established Member
Now get rid of the rag joint

Yes, so many mods to do.

Honestly, this is low on my priority list. I have over $6000 worth of mods to install that are already in my garage and this isn't one of them. I might do this in a few years once I have all the others done but again, this is very low on the list. Bang for the buck, not much improvement over feel but good for the long term. If you have a higher mileage car I can see this being higher on the list but with low mileage cars, not so much.

Last edited:

mr. b_98GT

Established Member

I can get to the steering shaft bolt pretty easily from behind the k member with an extension, elbow attachment (universal joint) and socket. Don't even take out the bolt, just loosen it enough so the rack can slip out.

Last edited:

bleedingfordblu

Established Member

great, thanks for the input and offer!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Yes, so many mods to do.

Honestly, this is low on my priority list. I have over $6000 worth of mods to install that are already in my garage and this isn't one of them. I might do this in a few years once I have all the others done but again, this is very low on the list. Bang for the buck, not much improvement over feel but good for the long term. If you have a higher mileage car I can see this being higher on the list but with low mileage cars, not so much.

I just threw that out there to drive home the fact "it never ends" lol. Actually the effects of removing the rag joint will be more dramatic than the bushings. It introduces "slop" in the steering and that's by design. I have a manual rack as well which won't dampen the steering as well as a power rack and expect lots of feedback to the steering wheel which is both good and not-so-good depending on your perspective. The rack itself is not going to like any of these mods.

funmoneypit

Established Member
I just threw that out there to drive home the fact "it never ends" lol. Actually the effects of removing the rag joint will be more dramatic than the bushings. It introduces "slop" in the steering and that's by design. I have a manual rack as well which won't dampen the steering as well as a power rack and expect lots of feedback to the steering wheel which is both good and not-so-good depending on your perspective. The rack itself is not going to like any of these mods.
Ya, I gotcha, it never does end does it! It sure is fun though. That's one reason I bought an almost stock car, so I could mod it myself and feel the differences all the way through the process.

SlowSVT

Established Member
Ya, I gotcha, it never does end does it! It sure is fun though. That's one reason I bought an almost stock car, so I could mod it myself and feel the differences all the way through the process.

Your call sign is appropriate

This is the worlds most "mod happy" car ever made bar none! :rolling:

No such progression here. My car went into the garage and will be a whole nother animal coming out but you'll never know just by looking at it.

funmoneypit

Established Member
Your call sign is appropriate

This is the worlds most "mod happy" car ever made bar none! :rolling:

No such progression here. My car went into the garage and will be a whole nother animal coming out but you'll never know just by looking at it.

Yep, my first forum username was based on my car at that time. Then I bought a different Mustang and thought, well my name doesn't fit now. Then I thought about all the money I spend on mods for all my vehicles and the name was easy. All the forums I am on now use the same user name.

Sounds like yours will be a beast hey?

bleedingfordblu

Established Member

Whats the rag joint? Ive never heard of it. Not sure if thats a Terminator only part or if its on Machs also?

SlowSVT

Established Member
Whats the rag joint? Ive never heard of it. Not sure if thats a Terminator only part or if its on Machs also?

Every passenger car I know has a rag joint. It's there to dampen road vibration making for a more "pleasant" drive. It's basically a flex joint of rubber or an aramid fiber cloth.

Here's a picture of a MM solid steering shaft and the OEM unit. You can see the rubber joint on the far RH end of the shaft.

SN95%20solid%20steering%20shaft%20support%20sleeve%202_zpsincskazl.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread