just installed 315/35/20 tires. Is the speedo off or not?

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
recently installed 315/35/20 tires, the height is like 28.7" tall compared to stock 27" . I thought the speedo will be off but i used a phone gps speedo and it read exactly the same on mine car:shrug: Any body have experiment with these please let me know , thanks. And if its off, how can i adjust it. I have an sct x3 programmer also.

GT500RedStripe

More Power!
Established Member
There is no way that a tire change that drastic did not throw off the speedometer.

Did the people who mounted the tires adjust the rotations per mile?

The rotations per mile is a setting using your tuner. Just walk through user settings and you can change it easily.

Poppacapp

Established Member
If your gps reading and speedo reading are right at each other, dont worry about it. I gained I believe a half inch or so in tire height going from my 295 Goodyears to the 305 Nitto 555rs.. I saw no appreciable difference between gps and speedo reading.. not enough to adjust in the tuner anyway.

The tuner adjustment is done with revolutions per mile I believe... you just have to pick the number that makes your speedo match gps.. trial and error.

89Saleen215

Established Member
The rev's per mile screen has 3 digit numbers in the 700's. Your stock RPM is 773...so I think it's set in the SCT at like 776 which is the closest. The Nitto's have an RPM of 726, so you'd want to find the number closest to that in your SCT Tuner.

Here's the formula:
revs per mile = 20850 / tire diameter

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Its for sure wrong. Think to yourself. How does adding a bigger tire not change the speedo? Find the rev permile on the tire an put it in your xcal

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Set rev per mile data with the SCT to 725. The tire is actually 726, but the programmer only displays 5 rpm (revolutions per mile) increments.

acobra03

Established Member
It may not be wrong...I noticed on my Fords with cruise control set at 65 if I pass one of those RoboRadar cameras that post your speed it reads a few miles and hour slower then my speedo. Usually at 65 is clocks me at 62. Did you clock your speed before the tire swap with the same GPS by any chance?

IA Shelby

Established Member
As I recall for every inch in tire size the speedo get impacted by approx 2 mph. So with a 1.7 difference vs stock I would suspect you are off by 3.5-4 mph assuming they did not adjust at the time of install

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Here's a calculator:

Tire Calculator

Comes to 703 revolutions per mile.
You can't use the unloaded diameter to make that calculation and expect accurate results. The radius under load compresses the unloaded radius by approximately 3%. Michelin's specs 726 revolutions per mile. Most manufacturers publish these specs. Check their websites. I didn't just pull 726 out my azz. Michelin Pilot SS Specs

lawdude

Established Member
You can't use the unloaded diameter to make that calculation and expect accurate results. The radius under load compresses the unloaded radius by approximately 3%. Michelin's specs 726 revolutions per mile. Most manufacturers publish these specs. Check their websites. I didn't just pull 726 out my azz. Michelin Pilot SS Specs

Wasn't trying to offend you or your azz. I'm not married to anything I found on the web and hereby give permission to anyone to use whatever calculator, gps, kentucky windage, or your butt sensor to determine the accuracy of your speedometer .

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
so i have a nitto nt05 315/35/20, should i click on the sct at 703 rev like "lawdude" just mentioned using his calculator or what ? Somebody with 315/35/20 tires using sct tuner please chim in , thanks

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
It may not be wrong...I noticed on my Fords with cruise control set at 65 if I pass one of those RoboRadar cameras that post your speed it reads a few miles and hour slower then my speedo. Usually at 65 is clocks me at 62. Did you clock your speed before the tire swap with the same GPS by any chance?

nope, after installed new tires, i use my phone gps to determine the speed

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Are those the 315/35,s and 275/40's ?
TIA

Yes. Are those the 315/35,s and 275/40's ?
TIA

Yes.
315/35/20 and 275/40/20

I checked on Nitto's website and the inflated overall diameter is the same at 28.62 and both have the same revs per mile at 726. I checked this to make sure there are no problems with transfer case.<<<<<<< found these on google talking about jeep cherokee srt8. SO WHICH IS CORRECT? 703 OR 726 REV PER MILE ?

Users who are viewing this thread