just installed 315/35/20 tires. Is the speedo off or not?

lawdude

Established Member
04-08-2009, 07:57 PM
Are those the 315/35,s and 275/40's ?
TIA

Yes. Are those the 315/35,s and 275/40's ?
TIA

Yes.
315/35/20 and 275/40/20

I checked on Nitto's website and the inflated overall diameter is the same at 28.62 and both have the same revs per mile at 726. I checked this to make sure there are no problems with transfer case.<<<<<<< found these on google talking about jeep cherokee srt8. SO WHICH IS CORRECT? 703 OR 726 REV PER MILE ?
I'd go with whatever the tire manufacturer says. You can always verify with gps.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Wasn't trying to offend you or your azz.
No offense taken. I'm simply passing on a common error most people make by using inflated diameters to make comparisons and calculations when changing tire sizes.

Another way to determine the loaded diameter is to make a mark on upper portion of the sidewall and measure the distance between the points the marks make contact with the pavement. Divide 63,360 (inches in a mile) by that result and you have the number of revolutions per mile that mounted tire turns. It's pretty accurate when you can't find manufacturer's specs.

lawdude

Established Member
I'm running Toyo R888 315/30 20. Mfgr says rpm is 754. Online calculator says 735. I set my rpm at 735 and checked with Garmin gps. At 80mph showing on Garmin, 80mph is showing on my speedometer. I haven't tried it at 754.

<added> FWIW a cop friend of mine was running laser as I was going home. He's a Mustang guy and I stopped to talk him for a few minutes. He said laser showed 39mph. My speedometer showed 40mph. </added>

Last edited:

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm running Toyo R888 315/30 20. Mfgr says rpm is 754. Online calculator says 735. I set my rpm at 735 and checked with Garmin gps. At 80mph showing on Garmin, 80mph is showing on my speedometer. I haven't tried it at 754.
Speedometers are never all that accurate, so even using the correct data, it might not put you spot on with a GPS. With the 3% difference you have between the two factors, your speedo could be off by 2 mph at 80 (half that at 40) using the right data. As small as the scale is on the Shelby, it's hard for me to tell the difference. It's likely to show up more on odometer readings. Having the right rev per mile data is a little more critical with an auto trans. I'm not sure an error rate that small would have any impact on ABS functions.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Not unless the tire size has already been changed in the programmer. By any chance, have you changed the rear axle ratio?

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
stock 3.31 gears, bought the sct new with custom jonlund tune in there , its should already be program for stock gear and tire. One other thing i should mention is that after install these steeda wheel and tire there are no "tire sign" on . The wheel i ordered should not come with any tpms sensor in there. This is weird.

enormous

Established Member
So, the way I see it you did not tranfer your stock TPMS to the Steeda rims or purchase new/used TPMS for the Steeda rims. Is that correct?
Without TPMS on your Steeda rims you will always have a tire fault light.

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
How does the car feel with that height of tire and stock gears??

Looking at doing a similar setup.

Does it feel a little sluggish at low RPM's?

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
SO right now mine gps and speedo read the same, if i changed the rpm on the sct , its probalby gonna read different. This is confusing

If it reads the same as your GPS then it's perfect. Don't mess with it. It simply means your speedo was off before the tire swap. Very common.

Ninjak

Posting from The Shadow's
Established Member
I run Nitto Invo's at 315 and my speedo is dead on. GPS, and Speedo dead even with each other. If you need to adjust, just do it in your xcal. Best way to know is to go to the manufacture web site, and look up your tire, and what the settings should be if needed.
Like others have said, if the GPS and speedo match, then your good.

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
So, the way I see it you did not tranfer your stock TPMS to the Steeda rims or purchase new/used TPMS for the Steeda rims. Is that correct?
Without TPMS on your Steeda rims you will always have a tire fault light.

been driving the car for a while with new wheel and no light on yet. Purchased wheels tires without tpms in there, even if it accidently in there i think u still have to program it . Very wierd

black2007shelby

pure venom
Established Member
How does the car feel with that height of tire and stock gears??

Looking at doing a similar setup.

Does it feel a little sluggish at low RPM's?

the front steeda/tire combo weight 6lbs each side more than factory wheel/tire , the rear 10lbs each corner . It feel a little sluggish off the line on low rpm , slow driving. Probably cuz the height and weight of the rear tires. When u floor it hard on 1 st gear the rpm tach kinda over rev fast other than that they hook up pretty good , 2nd gear did not spin at all

Rygy04

SVT
Established Member
the front steeda/tire combo weight 6lbs each side more than factory wheel/tire , the rear 10lbs each corner . It feel a little sluggish off the line on low rpm , slow driving. Probably cuz the height and weight of the rear tires. When u floor it hard on 1 st gear the rpm tach kinda over rev fast other than that they hook up pretty good , 2nd gear did not spin at all

The weight is a factor too, but the biggest factor is that you are gearing the car down with a taller tire.

If I went with that tall of tire I would do 3:73's at least.

Thanks for the info!

Sick car BTW. Reminds me of someone else's i know...

Users who are viewing this thread