Just did my taxes....

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
Insurance companies are the worse Glenn. @Black Gold 380R You should see some of the stuff we're seeing them do after that last big hurricane. Don't even get me started on health insurance and their prices. That said, I pay a shit load in taxes during the year, and still have to stroke a check.
I hear you Brad! I complain about insurance companies so much my wife asks me to shut up about it already lmao...

I can only imagine the shit they make hurricane victims go through. Bastards!

Sent from my SM-G950U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
Since White Straight Males are "The Enemy"...

Maybe we Should ALL...just send a "SCREW YOU" note to the IRS and not pay a DIME in "Taxes"...

Then let them figure out how they're gonna pay for ALL their $HIT!

JimCSHO

Established Member
I’m very clear on both.

Someone above made it sound like they are paying taxes on unrealized gains.

I remember the biggest thief in the world, our Government, floated that idea.

I didn’t think they could or did push that through.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app
Warren and Sanders continue to float the "wealth tax" idea where you pay a tax on unrealized gains each year - but if you have a loss in a year, well there is no rebate for the gains tax you paid the prior year. They have support of people like "the squad" and that ilk, but anyone with half a brain knows what a horrible idea it is. If it was implemented, every January the market would crater with the sell off to raise cash to pay the "wealth tax". But they have their followers who believe that "only the rich have stock". Wait, what did you do with the 401K, your IRA, where do you think that is invested. I've actually had some of those types tell me, "no I'm not invested in stock, I have everything in mutual funds" and don't understand that a mutual fund is simply a basket of stock that they purchased for their 401K or IRA.

BlckBox04

I am the liquor
Established Member
Premium Member
The only way to make serious money in stocks is buying puts and futures contracts

VegasMichael

Established Member
The other thing that is very irritating is that now that I am "retired" I can't put new money into my retirement accounts. 403, 457, Roth. See the irony there?

I didn't have a problem with the capital gains tax of 15% I paid for the home sale it's the dividend tax that ticks me off.

sleek98

Established Member
make sure you took advantage of the primary home exemption to lower the amount of tax you owe on your home sale.

JimCSHO

Established Member
You do get taxed. That is precisely my gripe.
If you took the dividends in cash and put it in a savings account, you pay the income tax on it. If you took it and bought stock in a different company, you pay income tax on it.

Why do you think that it isn't income when you use the dividends to buy more stock in that company? Dividend reinvestment simply means you don't take the cash and tell them, "buy me some more stock in the company with this income"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

VegasMichael

Established Member
If you took the dividends in cash and put it in a savings account, you pay the income tax on it. If you took it and bought stock in a different company, you pay income tax on it.

Why do you think that it isn't income when you use the dividends to buy more stock in that company? Dividend reinvestment simply means you don't take the cash and tell them, "buy me some more stock in the company with this income"

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
For the same reason that someone can sell an investment property and take the proceeds and do a like-kind exchange(1031) for another property of identical or higher value and not owe any tax.

I don't have a problem with a one-time dividend tax but when I reinvest in additional shares I don't like having to pay tax again on those reinvested shares when I go to sell.

Users who are viewing this thread