Just bought a Redfire, need parts advice

135 Boom

Established Member
I am picking up my 04 Redfire on Friday and need some advice on parts. It has a magnaflow catback and intake. Want to order a tuner, upper pulley and a offroad mid pipe. What tuner do you recommend? Can I delete the cats without a check engine light? What upper do you recommend? Do I need Idlers? I have done a bunch of research, but still a bit confused. Where does everyone get parts from? Thanks in advance and looking forward to spending years of my life on here researching and modding..

135 Boom

Established Member
Terminator FAQs

Yea you'll have an engine light....

Don't rose a tune, get a dyno tune,

Buy from our venders

Word. I looked through the FAQs before the post and there is some good info there. I would love to get a pro tune, but the wife already hates me for buying the car. So if I don't get the mid pipe would I be safe with a off the shelf tune or not recommended. I am use to tuning turbo cars, which you can't change your brake fluid without re-tuning.

b_dike

Established Member
BF 2.76" upper pulley, Bassani X-pipe and a good tune! Congrats on the new ride! :)

This... That's a good start. One more thing to consider if you use a mail order tune. Whoever does it will probably need a revision, and if you don't have a way to datalog then there's really no point.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Congrats, great color choice! I'd recommend buying the metco double bearing idlers the first time around. A little more spendy, but overall worth the price.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I recommend a 2.90/2.93 upper vs. a 2.80/2.76 although either will work fine. Just a personal preference for street use. I prefer the Reichard Racing upper pulleys. Billetflow would be my second choice. I highly recommend you get a Metco 4-piece idler set (replacing all of the crappy stamped steel idlers). There ARE some good mail order tunes and canned tunes. Dyno tunes are the best, but if you want to save some coin or don't have easy access to a local dyno, you can go with a mail order/canned tune. Amazon Tuning (Rick) has a lot of experience in this area. Give him a call. (704) 662-0881

Woody6799

Established Member
Congrats on the new ride! I personally stayed with catted pipes because they sound better to me, but that is a personal choice.

What is not a personal choice is listening to CobraBob... he kinda knows a little bit about these cars and may be able to point you in the right direction. (the man is a guru so shut up and listen lol)

Good luck with the new ride!

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
SCT X3 tuner.

Order a full pulley setup from Billetflow - they even have the pulleys that are color matched to redfire. I'm pretty sure they have the reichard racing version - I think they actually make them. Difference between a 2.93 and 2.76 is usually 10-20hp, but a 2.76 is also going to heat the blower more and be more likely to slip - so it's a trade off. Be sure to get the extra top idler and a new belt.

Mid-pipe - depends on if your state requires inspections, if no - you can either go offroad H pipe, X pipe, or pro-chamber. H will have a less harsh sound, but also make a little less power. Pro-chamber is it's own thing - I'm really not that familiar with it.

Intake - I know you said your car has one, but they aren't all created equal and are important on a car with a blower. You need a filter with a large surface area so it doesn't act as a bottleneck when the car is in high boost and really pulling in air. I have about the cheapest "big filter" kit you can buy that works well - it's not the best, but it works because the filter is still really big.

Once you have your parts installed and tuner in hand - take it to have it tuned on a dyno. One additional part you may or may not need is an aftermarket MAF. Unfortunatley there is no way to know until your car is on the dyno.

Last edited:

R.D.P.

Extra Sprinkles
Established Member
I suggest subframe connectors and a FRPP diff cover before adding power.

I was about to edit my post and say something similar - if your car doesn't already have either the FRPP diff cover or a diff brace, you need one asap and need to check the fluid level and check for possible leaks.

hotcobra03

Established Member
Word. I looked through the FAQs before the post and there is some good info there. I would love to get a pro tune, but the wife already hates me for buying the car. So if I don't get the mid pipe would I be safe with a off the shelf tune or not recommended. I am use to tuning turbo cars, which you can't change your brake fluid without re-tuning.

Sticky is more than good info..there is 10 years of it..

Hope you have alot of cash that wife doesn't know about.

1000 here 1000 there...than repairs

Its more of what you want from car...

Even stock..traction is a big problem..

I think this should be first before adding more power..what good is it when you cant use it..

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Congrats on the new ride! I personally stayed with catted pipes because they sound better to me, but that is a personal choice.

What is not a personal choice is listening to CobraBob... he kinda knows a little bit about these cars and may be able to point you in the right direction. (the man is a guru so shut up and listen lol)

Good luck with the new ride!

Thank you for the kind words. I definitely know "a little bit". LOL. In truth there are a lot of folks here who know a lot more than I do about the '03 - '04 Cobra. I learn stuff every day here. ;-)

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
A lot of good vendors on here. I've pretty much always bought my parts from lethal performance. But I've also bought from cobra bob true forged, tousley ford discount tire just to name a few others on here. Oh if you ever plan on upgrading your IRS bushings I highly recommend full tilt boogie racing for there complete kit. It made a world of difference in my car. :beer:

Jay15COBRA

Established Member
flavioSVT04 what size wheel and tires are you running in that pic? I have a 03 RedFire and am undecided on 17s or 18s Cobra Chrome reps. Your car looks great.

135 Boom

Established Member
Wow, thanks for all the responses. Glad I didn't get crapped on for being the new guy with no clue. I think I will go with Bob's advice and get a 2.93/idlers and go through Amazon for a tune. I am amped to finally own a Terminator. It is literally my dream car! Got a steal on it and it was local:banana: I will keep everyone posted on pics.

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
Congrats. Looks like you choose some solid first mods. Check out a MGW shifter if your car still has the stock shifter. You will thank me later.

Last edited:

03SVTscott

Established Member
I highly recommend a Air to Fuel wideband gauge. To monitor that ( especially if you do go with a mail order tune). Congrats on the new ride...and post some pictures.

Users who are viewing this thread