Just bought a 99 cobra, rebuild questions

Myersprostatus

Established Member
hey na, Ive seen some of your posts on different forums. Im obviously going to need new cams with the new cylinder heads, what cam combo would you recommend throwing on the 03/04 heads.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
the ones you currently have are the cams to use, we have the exact same color combo, pretty rare only about 300 made. AND IMPORTANT the machine shop you use needs to have Torque plates.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
hey na, Ive seen some of your posts on different forums. Im obviously going to need new cams with the new cylinder heads, what cam combo would you recommend throwing on the 03/04 heads.

Send a pm to JIMS SVT, he has the heads.

As for the cams, since yours are ****ed no longer useable you have many options. 96-98s are a little better, the 01s are a little worse. Even with stock springs you can make good power with aftermarket cams but it comes down to how much you want to spend.

Back to the heads, I use a local shop for all of my beadwork. They specialize in nhra superstock heads and do excellent work. If you buy jimmys heads you could have them sent there to get rebuilt. A valve job, milling, seals and assembly cost around $800 shipped.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
yup, 1700$bucks. You should of heard the crazy knock the car had when it ran. Sounded horrible. Glad I gambled and came up on top :). Really only 300 made? badass.

I basically want to make the motor run like it did when it came out of the factory. Strong and reliable. Although if I could get some minor gains with swapping other cobra parts in I am totally game. I know ill need a new set of cams and heads for sure. I also want to buy them at a decent price. Im not trying to make some 500 horsepower killer motor.
So your saying any new edge cobra cylinder head with the 96-98 cams is a gain? Or is that just strictly 03-04 heads?
Ill PM that guy asap. I currently have a 2000 mustang gt Im about to put on the market so I can purchase parts for the cobra. I can buy parts as soon as a have a buyer lined up.

thanks again guys for the help. I really appreciate it.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Yeah SVT produced 322 White/Tan Parchment coupes in 99,and personally through the years I know of 6 in this combo that have been totalled so yeah I'd say about 3 hundy!
If you wanna stay NA you could do the build on the cheap but I'd get quality pistons and rods since you got the car for change in the sofa...

scottydsntknow

Established Member
You have other options too as far as heads. Lincoln Continentals in 99/00 came with the exact same heads as your car and those are easy to find. Realize that the 03/04 (and 05 Aviator) heads are superior. The 96-98 Cobra intake cams are the improvement, exhaust is not going to see any gain so just keep your current exhaust cams. There is a set of 98 Cobra intake cams for $100 on the corral right now or at least they were there earlier today.

I really really would upgrade your rods/pistons while you have it all out... you will kick yourself down the road if you decide you want to put the Terminator setup or turbos on it. At least go find some low mileage 03/04 Cobra rods/pistons or something...

And wtmfh... you got that for $1700?!?! There was no gamble on that, even if the motor was completely blown up... he'll even if the motor AND trans were toast you would have got a deal on that thing. Where am I when people with too much money are throwing away their Cobras?

Myersprostatus

Established Member
hell yeah, good to know im gonna be rollin in a rare white stallion.
thanks for the info scotty, gonna help alot.

Yeah ive been putting some thought on pistons and rods. Im more of a go fast around corners kind of guy. Dont get me wrong I love going fast in straight lines too, but as this is going to be a daily driver for who knows how long, idk if throwing forced induction on it would be the most realistic idea. The suspension set up im going to have on this car is going to be pretty sexy :)

Also I called a machine shop called Ford Performance Solutions in Anaheim. The guy I talked to said he could most like save the cylinder head by using an insert on the cam journal. He said it would most likely be 150$ worth of work. He said he most likely has spare cams as well that he'd sell me for 100$ a piece. But those 96-98 intake cams sound pretty tempting. I also plan on getting the crankshaft turned which he said would be around 150$ and getting the cylinder head freshened up for 350$. Sounds alot cheaper than actually buying new heads.
Anyone of you guys have experience with those shop or heard negative or positive things?
-Mitch

01yellercobra

Established Member
It wouldn't hurt to upgrade the rods and pistons while you're there. If you're intent on staying N/A you could bump the compression a bit with new pistons. If I had built this motor for N/A I would have gone 10.5 instead of 9.5.

I don't have any experience with that shop. But keep us posted on getting it running. I need to see more new edgers around SoCal.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Forged rods and pistons are a no brainer, like mentioned you'll kick yourself when you wanna slap a centri blower on it and trust me you will..

Myersprostatus

Established Member
well i would have to make up my mind on either going forced induction or n/a before I even purchased the pistons due to the compression demands. Im not looking for crazy power, just a pretty damn fun car. N/a seems to fit my daily driving needs more than going F/I.

as stated previously, do the 96-98 intake cams wake up the 99 substantially? Ive been trying to read up on it and everyone seems to be putting them in mach 1s. The cam duration does not look to different than the 99 intake cam duration.
Funny thing is one of my intake cams is toast so it will need replacement and if the 96-98 cam swap is decent I may just go ahead and do it :). I also plan on getting the heads ported a little bit while they are being freshened up.

I would love to call a shop and talk head/cam/piston combinations and figure out which is most suitable. Its actually significantly hard to find a shop in southern california that is experienced with modular engines. Like I said earlier I'd call ford performance solutions, but I have heard alot of mixed reviews about the shop.

All that is standing in my way is my 2000 ford mustang gt that I need to sell in order to actually purchase the machining and fun parts for my cobra. It seems no one wants a gt... hahhahah : ( it makes me crazy having to stare at the block everyday with no funds for it. know anyone that wants a nice gt? hahaha ; )

-thanks for all the helping words guys
-mitch

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Go with a dished piston in the high single digit cc range, those will work good both NA and Blown.. And how far is Downey from you? Greg at RET is the man to see for your mods.

Last edited:

Myersprostatus

Established Member
Update :)
My heads are pretty much done. Got them ported/valve job/re-decked/cam journal fixed!
I decided to go balls to the wall and pretty much deck out the motor. I'm getting forged rods/pistons. I plan on getting a new oil pump and oil cooler due to metal running through the engine. I cant find the stock oil cooler though, anyone know where I can find one?
I have some 96-98 intake cams sitting right next to me. Brand new injectors.
I'm still wondering how high I should go with the compression. Like stated above slo984now you said you would go 10.5, is that with 91 octane?

Also, I want to degree the 96-98 cams, is it possible with stock gears, or would I have to get adjustable gears?

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Glad you made the choice to go with forged rods/pistons. Which ones are you going with? Even if you have a CR of 10.5:1, you can still throw a little intercooled boost at it later on.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
yeah 10.5 would be great, the car would be driven N/A for quite some time while I throw my money at the suspension. Im still not even sure if I want to go forced induction.

10.5 would be fine with 91 octane? Would i need a tune? Would it even pass California smog?

Users who are viewing this thread