Just blew My Engine

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
So what causes more issues on stock internals. Over 400rwhp or over 400rwtq?
Does a roots type blower cause more strain on the engine when compared to a vortech or procharger type?

saleenmuscle18, Just out of curiosity, what kinda of air fuel ratios were you running?
Usually a bad tune leading to detonation and the destructive shockwaves created take out most of the engines prematurely. After that, the internals reach a point where they can no longer distribute the forces acting against them at which point a weakness in the system gives ways - bent/broken rod, pistons ect. Positive displacement blowers do put more stress on an engine than centrifugal blowers because of the physics they use to generate boost when you mash the throttle.

Last edited:

-Chip-

You Better Come Correct!
Established Member
Ya i have read up on the cast crank, and for what what i am doing on the street i cannot see it failing, even if a do get over 600HP. I dont spin the engine past 5500 rpms, and have never heard of a cast crank breaking because of too much HP, its the people spinning the engine to high is what makes them break. As far as the Mod 600 motor i have heard people have gone in the 700RwHP territory with no problems what so ever.
The crank generally doesn't fail before the spin a few bearings is what causes the catostrophic failure. They spin a few rod bearings and that is what caues them to fail 9 out of 10 times. I haven't seen one snapped too often.

albino96

White is the fastst color
Established Member
keep in mind that the MMR 4.6 Street Mod 600 (up to 600HP) SB that you just baught was measured on an engine dyno. due to paracidic (SP) power loss that short block you purchased is actually not rated at 600HP. at least thats what my shop told me. i would be very careful if you later down the road upgrade to the 2.6H. good luck on getting her back up and running. man i remember when you got that KB.

MMR said in a thread on corral that their numbers are rated at the wheels. I doubt it matters though because all of those numbers are approximate anyway. I'll get a 900 when I build for piece of mind.

SonicTerminator

Whistle Box Equipped 4.6
Established Member
Well it finally poped, it was about 40 degrees out today, i hoped on the freeway for a little 2nd gear pull. I brought the RPM's up and when i was about to shift into 3rd, i heard the motor blow, the whole car shut off, and smoke filled the entire inside and outside of the car, i pulled over and oil was everywhere, i tried to restart the car and it just knocks hard, then falls on its face and turns off. I was running 412hp and 406TQ since march 07. What do i do now? New shortblock or rip into the engine and replace everything? Thanks Guys!

there ya go keep trying to start it when the oil exited through the same hole in the block as a few rods did...cant imagine why it knocks....cant imagine why that one blew:loser::loser:

Blown 4-banger

Fixing GM's Mistakes...
Established Member
Build the piss out of it! I blew mine up (just a 4 banger), and I'm almost done building it up to handle 750+ hp... true that its taken since March of 2007, but still thats in part because no one makes after market rods for my engine and I had to get a custom billet set made. That took a while. Still, I say build it up, better to build it while its down, than throw in another stock short block and blow it up again.

Users who are viewing this thread