Just blew My Engine

saleenmuscle18

Established Member
Well it finally poped, it was about 40 degrees out today, i hoped on the freeway for a little 2nd gear pull. I brought the RPM's up and when i was about to shift into 3rd, i heard the motor blow, the whole car shut off, and smoke filled the entire inside and outside of the car, i pulled over and oil was everywhere, i tried to restart the car and it just knocks hard, then falls on its face and turns off. I was running 412hp and 406TQ since march 07. What do i do now? New shortblock or rip into the engine and replace everything? Thanks Guys!

Mport_KLR

just a gt;)
Established Member
Well it finally poped, it was about 40 degrees out today, i hoped on the freeway for a little 2nd gear pull. I brought the RPM's up and when i was about to shift into 3rd, i heard the motor blow, the whole car shut off, and smoke filled the entire inside and outside of the car, i pulled over and oil was everywhere, i tried to restart the car and it just knocks hard, then falls on its face and turns off. I was running 412hp and 406TQ since march 07. What do i do now? New shortblock or rip into the engine and replace everything? Thanks Guys!

cheaper to go the shortblock route:beer:

Thump_rrr

Established Member
Pull the heads off once the engine is out of the car and the rest may be decided for you.
If the heads are good you can go the shortblock route unless you want to get every last possible pony out of it.

blk04cobra1

1000rwhp coming soon
Established Member
Really depends on your budget and the condtion of the block...cheapest would be shortblock, but while you're in there and have the funds, put a nice set of bumpsticks in (2V cams aren't that expensive)....

red9450

Established Member
how often do you lay into the pedal on the car? just wondering if it's more of a tune thing, or how much of a beating the car took. (not saying you beat it, but you get the idea)

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
you say oil was everywhere?
you should look for the hole in the side of your block then.
you probably pushed a rod through the side of it and your going to have to get a new block.

maybe you pushed it through the oil pan but either way i would just get a short block and be done with it.
J

CDR Stang

SCT PRP Tuned Whiner
Established Member
Sounds like a detonation death. Possible your tune didn't pull enough timing up top to keep it safe with the cooler air. I bet it was running great just before it blew though. Or was it acting sluggish up top? Hopefully you just punched a hole through the pan and the block can be salvaged.

saleenmuscle18

Established Member
My budget is pretty tight right now so i might go the shortblack route. It was acting a bit sluggish before the motor went, and i was wondering what the problem was. Its going to my tuner now, so ill find out whats really wrong

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
sorry to hear about your troubles man. how long had you been on your stock motor? I'm just curious, I've been on mine since the summer of 04 if i remember correctly. Maybe the fact that i'm at a little less power has to do with me lasting so long. I'm at 388rwhp 401rwtq. Maybe you had a bad tank of gas or something, thats the bad part of going on stock motor, any one thing goes bad and it'll go down the pooper. Thank goodness i'm going forged this spring!

saleenmuscle18

Established Member
sorry to hear about your troubles man. how long had you been on your stock motor? I'm just curious, I've been on mine since the summer of 04 if i remember correctly. Maybe the fact that i'm at a little less power has to do with me lasting so long. I'm at 388rwhp 401rwtq. Maybe you had a bad tank of gas or something, thats the bad part of going on stock motor, any one thing goes bad and it'll go down the pooper. Thank goodness i'm going forged this spring!

Stock motor since march 07, When you go forged are you upgrading your blower or just pully'ing down?

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
New Forged Short Block and you might need new heads as well. A piston could have hit the head well Good luck with the build up.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
Stock motor since march 07, When you go forged are you upgrading your blower or just pully'ing down?

I really want to upgrade my blower to the 2.6H, but i gotta find someone to buy my 1.7. I'm thinking its going to be tough to sell the little blower so i'm going to have to be happy with 450 to 500rwhp :cryying:

Users who are viewing this thread