Just As I Expected: C&D GT350 vs C7Z51

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
No A/C, radio, or trunk lining.

Larger front splitter. Red cobra badging. Red piping on the seats. Red stripe on the steering wheel. Full alcantara steering wheel.
Ohhhh so this is what makes the R "nipping the heels of a c7z"? Lol.

Hey whats the difference between a '13 5.0 and a '13 Boss 302? :idea:

OaktownACE

Established Member
I just finished reading this thread, yikes!

I think that the regular gt350 is a good car but the truly amazing performer is the R. From reading all I've read, the R is just on a different playing field from the regular gt350. I think it's only natural to lump the two cars together but that's not being fair to either.

That said, Ford put the R out there to compete with the 911 and the z51s. That's what the magazines should be testing with.

krt22

Established Member
I just finished reading this thread, yikes!

I think that the regular gt350 is a good car but the truly amazing performer is the R. From reading all I've read, the R is just on a different playing field from the regular gt350. I think it's only natural to lump the two cars together but that's not being fair to either.

I think they are a lot closer than what you think, wheels and most importantly tires can completely transform the way a car behaves. You can make an R feel pedestrian if you slapped on a set of all-seasons and conversely get a bump in performance with the GT350 TP car by adding lighter wheels and comparable tires. Yes the R will always have the edge given all the other minor changes, but you can close that gap quite a bit by simply changing wheels and tires. Same car, same driver, different tire can shift lap times 1-3+ seconds at any given track.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
It's interesting that the z28 was worshipped because it was faster than the z51. It has the trofeo which I've heard are 1 or 2 seconds faster than the cup 2 at Laguna Seca. On the same tire the trofeo it would seem that the z51 would be faster if not be as you as fast as the R.
So are we just splitting hairs! Is the 350 a tire away from the Z51 in this test? I thought the 350 beat the Z28, then the Z28 beat the Z51. Now the 350 gets beat by the Z51. Is this the R vs the standard causing this result? Sorry just don't have all the details.

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
So are we just splitting hairs! Is the 350 a tire away from the Z51 in this test? I thought the 350 beat the Z28, then the Z28 beat the Z51. Now the 350 gets beat by the Z51. Is this the R vs the standard causing this result? Sorry just don't have all the details.

Pobst ran the 350 and 350 R and z28 back to back to back.
350 had the slowest tires, the R the middle tires, the z28 the fastest tires.
The R beat the z28 by about 1.3 sec.
The z28 beat the 350 by about 1.8.

Ford has run seperated test with independent pro drivers at 2 tracks. Both time the z51 and 350 ran with .1 of each other or even.

An editor(amateur driver) glazes the 350 brakes and runs the z51 over a second faster than the 350. I believe the 350 and z51 are on the same tire.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
Bad notes, just go to the first page and you will see the gt350 has bigger brakes and wider front and rear tires. Not to mention better tires in general. The tires on the stingray are MPSS run flats (ZP)!!!

Not a knock on the gt350, I would gladly take one (prefer an R though), over a stingray.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member
I'm surprised too, but it is what it is. Could be a magazine mistake, but all the stats are in the first post of this comparison. Only stat missing is weight, I didn't see those in the chart by C&D.

Snorman

Gaining fast...
Established Member
Ohhhh so this is what makes the R "nipping the heels of a c7z"? Lol
Anybody who thinks the 350R is "nipping the heels of a C7Z" is crazy. But I don't doubt there are at least a few who are delusional enough to think it is, particularly ITT.
S.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Bad notes, just go to the first page and you will see the gt350 has bigger brakes and wider front and rear tires. Not to mention better tires in general. The tires on the stingray are MPSS run flats (ZP)!!!

Not a knock on the gt350, I would gladly take one (prefer an R though), over a stingray.

They mentioned that the tires on the Z51 looked quite a bit worse than the 350 tires at the end of the day, I wonder if those run flats are super soft.

betiwin

Established Member
Good performance win for the Z51. The track pack and GT350r have stepped up with the big boys. Pony car playing with sports cars. The R is def the one to get. Come on ford make some more for the rest of us.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The Z51 has run flats and there's no optional tire from the factory.

I bet a z51 on lightweight CCW or Trueforged wheels set with r888's, nt01's, or mpsc2's would feel like a whole new car with just those mods. Throw some bolt ons, a cam, headwork, and valvetrain, and it's probably a far more reliable track car than a c7z, probably close to as fast at the track as well. More manageable at least.

For me, run flats have always felt imprecise and uncommunicative.

I bet the majority of the corvette z51's subjective feel/input etc shortcomings are largely due to the tires.

I know on c5's and 6's that switching tires alone greatly improves the feel while driving.

I've driven z51's on better tires but not back to back or extensively like at a track to say for sure, but I'm confident the run flats are hosing down the driving feel based on previous experiences,

What tires are you running on your z51?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
He sold the z51. And since the z51 is on rf the z51 on the same tire will be slightly ahead of the 350tp. Which makes sense given its 350lb weight advantage. Still impressive oem stock to be equal with the performance vette for less money(msrp)!

BlownAway03

Established Member
I bet a z51 on lightweight CCW or Trueforged wheels set with r888's, nt01's, or mpsc2's would feel like a whole new car with just those mods. Throw some bolt ons, a cam, headwork, and valvetrain, and it's probably a far more reliable track car than a c7z, probably close to as fast at the track as well. More manageable at least.

For me, run flats have always felt imprecise and uncommunicative.

I bet the majority of the corvette z51's subjective feel/input etc shortcomings are largely due to the tires.

I know on c5's and 6's that switching tires alone greatly improves the feel while driving.

I've driven z51's on better tires but not back to back or extensively like at a track to say for sure, but I'm confident the run flats are hosing down the driving feel based on previous experiences,

What tires are you running on your z51?

Yep, sold the Z51. Going a little more family friendly now that we have our first baby due next month. I picked up a new BMW 428i Gran Coupe this week. Very different from what I'm used to but wanted to give this segment of the market a try. The Z51 could definitely improve on a stickier non run flat tire. I always ran the stockers though, and I basically just granny drove mine. I like what Ford did here no doubt, even though I talk trash. I put good effort into getting a 350 at msrp, but fell short and it wasn't worth it to me to call high and low looking for that unicorn.

Users who are viewing this thread