Just a quick job rant...

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Trying to find a new job SUCKS. I don't know if any of you are looking to change jobs right now but for those who are, maybe you know what I'm talking about. I'm not one to blame market conditions on my own lack of opportunities or bad luck but damn... I have been trying to find a new job for the past 3 months or so. I have been in the property and casualty insurance field for 3+ years now, mostly on the agent side. I've been trying to move over to something more steady, like claims. I've applied for various open positions and have been contacted to do pre-testing and interview with management. I do well in the testing and interview but nothing comes of it. I've done this twice now and haven't been selected. I don't have any claims experience but I do have a solid working knowledge of insurance. The problem is there aren't any other positions out there in my area. Anything I've found thats entry or trainee level would require me to relocate. Oh, and the interent job boards suck, they suck suck suck suck. Nothing but spam, crap, scams and more crap. I'm just discouraged right now, and whining like a baby.

ford_racer

King of SVTP
Established Member
You can have my job.

Don't be surprised when they hire two worthless people with no insurance and pay them better than you.

Vigilante

Established Member
Finding anything sucks, check out the job threads on here, theres one where I think my post just about exceeded the limit for a post. Very good info in there from talking to hiring managers and my own experiences. Good Luck!

westtx47

Established Member
Perhaps you could try the real estate field? Don't know how the housing blunder has affected Alabama, but its rather fine in Texas.

In those three months, you could have become a licensed appraiser which is a rather steady job. Very rarely based off of commisions(from the folks I know in that business).

Just a thought. OR, you could move?

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
what are your qualifications?

In a nutshell:
4 year degree, licensed in property and casualty insurance and life and health, licensed adjuster, 3+ years of property and casualty insurance experience, pc skills, strong customer service skills, well versed in both residential and commercial building reconstruction estimating software.

Its enough to get me in the door for pre-employment testing and interviews but I'm not closing the deal.

Last edited:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Finding anything sucks, check out the job threads on here, theres one where I think my post just about exceeded the limit for a post. Very good info in there from talking to hiring managers and my own experiences. Good Luck!

I'm open to reading/learning anything I can, link?

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Perhaps you could try the real estate field? Don't know how the housing blunder has affected Alabama, but its rather fine in Texas.

In those three months, you could have become a licensed appraiser which is a rather steady job. Very rarely based off of commisions(from the folks I know in that business).

Just a thought. OR, you could move?

Real estate is solid here, but I have a desire to move out of sales and into something more steady both in pay and work flow. I am more of an analytical person and I think claims suits me much better.

Vigilante

Established Member
I cant seem to find it anymore, either on here or where I copied and pasted from. Basically you want want to look like the employees and be as open as possible. If you have to take theose UNICRU tests, never answer in the middle, always the two extremes. Try searching on here or google for it it was really detailed. When I load it I can PM it to you.

the thread was called the "Official how to get a job thread." how, to, get, a, job were not used in my search; too short.

94five0

*Click*
Established Member
Trying to find a new job SUCKS. I don't know if any of you are looking to change jobs right now but for those who are, maybe you know what I'm talking about. I'm not one to blame market conditions on my own lack of opportunities or bad luck but damn... I have been trying to find a new job for the past 3 months or so. I have been in the property and casualty insurance field for 3+ years now, mostly on the agent side. I've been trying to move over to something more steady, like claims. I've applied for various open positions and have been contacted to do pre-testing and interview with management. I do well in the testing and interview but nothing comes of it. I've done this twice now and haven't been selected. I don't have any claims experience but I do have a solid working knowledge of insurance. The problem is there aren't any other positions out there in my area. Anything I've found thats entry or trainee level would require me to relocate. I'm just discouraged right now, and whining like a baby.

I'm there with ya. In leiu of this shit economy, I'm actually going back to school. I was in the same boat for several months... 8 years same field, midlevel management, but just a worthless uninteresting industry. I Interview very well. I'm very approachable, professional, steady work history, but something pooches the deal... Attempting to move into any other field, without the right training and more importantly, the correct contacts, is nigh on impossible I've found.

Oh, and the interent job boards suck, they suck suck suck suck. Nothing but spam, crap, scams and more crap.

you sir... are my hero. I am so glad somebody else has brought this up, because i was afraid it was just me. MONSTER, JOBSTER, CAREERBUILDER can go F*** themselves. Their quality rate lies somewhere between a used car salesman and a late night info-mercial. I waited in line for 2 hours for a MONSTER jobfair, and was underwhelmed when I was told a whopping 5 companies would be attending, (2 foodservice, 2 retail and the U.S. Border Patrol) ..JOB boards..don't get me started with those idiots, you'll never hear the end.

if you're interested in doing adjusting, you might want to consider relocating if the current market isn't good... you appear very adept at it, and you seem to like it, which is a very nice plus to have.:thumbsup:

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
I cant seem to find it anymore, either on here or where I copied and pasted from. Basically you want want to look like the employees and be as open as possible. If you have to take theose UNICRU tests, never answer in the middle, always the two extremes. Try searching on here or google for it it was really detailed. When I load it I can PM it to you.

the thread was called the "Official how to get a job thread." how, to, get, a, job were not used in my search; too short.

Yeah definitely PM me with it or link up if you find it. I have taken pre-employment tests in all areas, personality and thinking ability.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
I'm there with ya. In leiu of this shit economy, I'm actually going back to school. I was in the same boat for several months... 8 years same field, midlevel management, but just a worthless uninteresting industry. I Interview very well. I'm very approachable, professional, steady work history, but something pooches the deal... Attempting to move into any other field, without the right training and more importantly, the correct contacts, is nigh on impossible I've found.

it does seem like its nearly impossible to get anything decent without connections. my wife just got on with a big company and she had a connection. not sure if she would've even gotten an interview otherwise. unfortunately, it seems like all the employment practices and hiring laws have put companies in a position to have to 'sneak' around the laws. they know who they want to hire, but they have to go through the process of pretending they dont for appearances sake.

you sir... are my hero. I am so glad somebody else has brought this up, because i was afraid it was just me. MONSTER, JOBSTER, CAREERBUILDER can go F*** themselves. Their quality rate lies somewhere between a used car salesman and a late night info-mercial. I waited in line for 2 hours for a MONSTER jobfair, and was underwhelmed when I was told a whopping 5 companies would be attending, (2 foodservice, 2 retail and the U.S. Border Patrol) ..JOB boards..don't get me started with those idiots, you'll never hear the end.

yeah they're a joke. i've never met anyone who has gotten a job from something they saw posted on one of those sites. its all a big scam.

if you're interested in doing adjusting, you might want to consider relocating if the current market isn't good... you appear very adept at it, and you seem to like it, which is a very nice plus to have.:thumbsup:

the problem is right now, with the job market in general being bad, the demand for MOST jobs is low. so that means that companies can afford to be alot more selective with who they hire. they are alot less likely to take the chance on somebody with less or no experience. so basically, if anybody applies for the same job i do who has ever worked in claims, i'm toast. a token interview.

jpro

Disoriented Poster
Established Member
I'm surprised by your lack of luck. My wife is a supervisor of claims examiners for a large, commercial insurance company near Cleveland...they are always hiring people like you. You sound very much like the "right" person her company seems to always be seeking. There is a lot of room for growth too. What insurance companies are near you? Your location may be what is holding you back.

As for assistance finding a job, what about the college/university you graduated from? Most of them assist their alumni as well as current students. I'm the assistant director of a career center for a large university and we see alums all the time. You should really use this resource if at all possible. As a matter of fact, if you don't I may have to come down there and beat some sense into you. Great resource...use it!

Just my two cents.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
As for assistance finding a job, what about the college/university you graduated from? Most of them assist their alumni as well as current students. I'm the assistant director of a career center for a large university and we see alums all the time. You should really use this resource if at all possible. As a matter of fact, if you don't I may have to come down there and beat some sense into you. Great resource...use it!

I was just about to say this...

And a big +1 on the connections. When I applied to the company I work for now, on my own through their site and to their local recruiter directly, about 3 months and again 3 weeks before I graduated, I got no response. When I had resumes forwarded by one of my professors, I got two calls within a week for two seperate groups (design and quality engineering) in the company. I only pursued one (design) and ended up with a very good offer. And I had absolutely zero experience in this field.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
I'm surprised by your lack of luck. My wife is a supervisor of claims examiners for a large, commercial insurance company near Cleveland...they are always hiring people like you. You sound very much like the "right" person her company seems to always be seeking. There is a lot of room for growth too. What insurance companies are near you? Your location may be what is holding you back.

I have had people tell me that, I've talked alot of adjusters who work for my current company and they are all suprsied i havent been picked up yet. I dont have anything in my background or on my credit report that would instantly exclude me either. Who knows... its just discouraging.

I live in Mobile (Gulf Coast Alabama) which isnt very large. Most of the claim offices are in Birmingham and Montgomery. We do have some claim offices here but most adjusters in this area are virtual.

Just my two cents.

I went to a career fair in September but nothing insurance related was there.

Adower

Established Member
Man bro I just got on with an insurance company. Travelers insurance. They hired 1 person (me) out of 1200 applicants. Its definitely no joke right now finding a job.

Jaysin

Established Member
Im right here with you. A bit to a lesser degree on my point. Me being 19, im just looking for something to get me some more $ for the moment until I figure out how im going pursue my dream (have my own dyno/performance shop). I have a family friend who owns his own auto shop (more of just your oil/lube/repairs) but I talked to him and he was telling me to try and get on at a shop and just learn from different people, experience, etc. The problem is all these shops are wanting experienced/ase certified people, while I can understand why, its so damn frustrating. I just want to put my foot in the door, but no one is wanting to open that door up. Grocery store is ftl big time, im so sick of being broke and dreading going in. Anyways, enough with my rant not trying to hijack the thread, but I had to vent too, its nice to know im not the only one not having luck with this situation.

To the op, good luck man, you sound qualified enough to do what your wanting to, soon enough you'll be picked up, just keep on it! :thumbsup:

Sea Pony

Workin'! Woot!
Established Member
Job boards are good for one thing only, getting your foot in the door right out of college.

Overwhelming probability is that you will get every other job you get in your career from referalls and/or networking.

And if you have thought of it, don't bother with Chamber of Commerce meetings either. People go to those to find work. Employers don't attend much.

Users who are viewing this thread