Just a quick job rant...

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Man bro I just got on with an insurance company. Travelers insurance. They hired 1 person (me) out of 1200 applicants. Its definitely no joke right now finding a job.

Travelers is a good company. What are you doing for them?

inuswo

Hopeless SVT Fan
Established Member
Make sure you aren't applying for positions that you would be OVERQUALIFIED for. It happened to me. I thought that with no college education I couldn't get a realistic position doing what I know best, web UI design and development. For close to 6 years I did this on a freelance basis, and my only employment in the role was 2 years during high school at a small firm in Fayetteville, Arkansas.

So I was applying for all kinds of tech positions that were paying like 15-25 an hour doing this and that repairs, thinking I could at least qualify to do those things on experience.

Wrong. After about 6 months of driving myself insane, I said fk it and started applying at a ton of big time web design firms in Irvine, CA. (about a 35mile drive). Within 2 days I had a position offered to me at 67k a year starting, and just over 90k after a 6 month probationary period. Even if in 3 more months they shitcan me so they can get someone else to do the work for less for the next 6 months, thats still a good chunk of money I've taken home.

And the best part, this is the easiest fkin job I've ever done so far. I'm browsing SVTP at work, because I'm ahead on my tasks, so I'm burning time so I don't run myself completely OUT of work (or out of the job!).

:)

GodStang

Established Member
Depends on what you do. I have at least 1 phone call a day looking to hire me in ranges from $100K-$300K/yr. Just depending how shitty of a life style you want to live. I am looking to make a jump here real soon. Just found out our Bonuses are getting pushed back so time to bail.

EZMachN

Established Member
I'm in same boat. I graduated last year with a BS in Business Management. It took me 6 months to find a job. I worked there for 4 months and laid off b/c of economy. Now I can't find shit again. I am either getting my Real Estate license or going back and getting a Health Care Management degree. Could not have picked a worse time to graduate.

Njc0las

Detective John Spartan
Established Member
Trying to find a new job SUCKS. I don't know if any of you are looking to change jobs right now but for those who are, maybe you know what I'm talking about. I'm not one to blame market conditions on my own lack of opportunities or bad luck but damn... I have been trying to find a new job for the past 3 months or so. I have been in the property and casualty insurance field for 3+ years now, mostly on the agent side. I've been trying to move over to something more steady, like claims. I've applied for various open positions and have been contacted to do pre-testing and interview with management. I do well in the testing and interview but nothing comes of it. I've done this twice now and haven't been selected. I don't have any claims experience but I do have a solid working knowledge of insurance. The problem is there aren't any other positions out there in my area. Anything I've found thats entry or trainee level would require me to relocate. Oh, and the interent job boards suck, they suck suck suck suck. Nothing but spam, crap, scams and more crap. I'm just discouraged right now, and whining like a baby.

Sorry man, I'm sure it's just cause people are willing to work for nothing and are undercutting you. I get probably 3/4 offers a day with high pay rates but they never pay as much as they say cause there are so many people willing to work for nothing which hurts everyone because most of the time these people are idiots.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Depends on what you do. I have at least 1 phone call a day looking to hire me in ranges from $100K-$300K/yr. Just depending how shitty of a life style you want to live. I am looking to make a jump here real soon. Just found out our Bonuses are getting pushed back so time to bail.

Calling you to do what?

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Sorry man, I'm sure it's just cause people are willing to work for nothing and are undercutting you. I get probably 3/4 offers a day with high pay rates but they never pay as much as they say cause there are so many people willing to work for nothing which hurts everyone because most of the time these people are idiots.

I honestly don't think its people undercuting me, being a company adjuster is pretty much like any other corporate job, there are set pay grades depending on what level you are.

Mommas Donuts

Established Member
Perhaps you could try the real estate field? Don't know how the housing blunder has affected Alabama, but its rather fine in Texas.

In those three months, you could have become a licensed appraiser which is a rather steady job. Very rarely based off of commisions(from the folks I know in that business).

Just a thought. OR, you could move?

You cannot become a licensed appraiser in 3 months and most appraisers are 100% commission. You don't want to be an Appraiser either, trust me.

GodStang

Established Member
Calling you to do what?

Smartplant Instrumentation and CAD work. That is were the money is right now. Anywhere from $60-$110/hr and then once you hit over time you start making time and a half. Most jobs you work 70-80 hrs a week over time. I only have 3 years experience so I am not making the high end unless I want to move to Alaska or UAE.

Bens4vcobra

On hallowed ground
Established Member
Smartplant Instrumentation and CAD work. That is were the money is right now. Anywhere from $60-$110/hr and then once you hit over time you start making time and a half. Most jobs you work 70-80 hrs a week over time. I only have 3 years experience so I am not making the high end unless I want to move to Alaska or UAE.

Sounds good although I don't know much about what you're talking about. I thought for a second you were one of Steve Spurrier's assistant coaches.

Users who are viewing this thread