Just a question on legality of a complaint.

Status
Not open for further replies.

esonu

Established Member
Hello, just needed some assistance on if I am completely in the wrong or my neighbor.
So I took out my cobra today after 4-5months or so. Came back home it's 2pm went around the court because it's easier to getting car in the driveway after I come around the court due to cars parked in the driveway and street. I put my car inside and grab my stuff my neighbors in the garage by my door and yells "do you mind keeping the damn car quiet my wife is inside napping. She has Parkinson's disease" I reply in a calm tone "I will next time didn't think it was that loud" (kept it under 2k rpm?) then he gets all mad and says (why do you have to go around the court your house is right here" this is when I got mad and got out my car and he gets scared puts a smile on his face and steps back a couple of feet(I'm not a small guy I'm short but stalky lol). And even tho he pissed me off I calmly still said "my car is low so it's difficult to get the right angle the other way" and he walks away slightly yelling "we'll keep it down this is ridiculous I'll have to call the cops next time"

So my question is can this even be a complaint. Also his wife has called the cops on our family plenty of times due to noise before 9pm.

Just some more background for this I'm Indian I live in a primarily white neighborhood. The neighbor couple houses down has some old school mg looking thing and its louder than the cobra because it's straight piped yet the guy waves to him while he drives by and he is white. I'm not trying to play the race card but that's what it is. Recently I was working on the 5.0 and a cop showed up asking me if the car was mine because a neighbor called the cops saying I was working on striping a stolen vehicle. The cop went to my neighbor afterwards telling him the vehicle isn't stolen so I knew exactly who called. Personally I feel like the guys just trying to get me. I dress semi ghetto but I have a state job, go to school and my parents are well off lol. So idk what to think.
I think I'm just venting but any opinions would be appreciated.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'd worry about it when / if the cops show up. Until then he's just running his mouth.

You said you're being cordial. He'll live

esonu

Established Member
Yea that's what is was thinking.
Just more pissed off after the fact that he came into the garage without my permission to confront me. Could've waited till I was outside.
And also the fact that I'm a pretty nice guy and keep the volume as low as possible in my neighborhood. I even turn down my music if I see a kid next to my car whether on a bike car next to me or just walking and I know the song has curse words lol.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
@silver03svt @cbj5259
Mark Forums Read
Didn't realize this was in donut shop, my apologies
he did not specify LEO Only in the thread title or in the body so you violated no rules by responding.

OP: having parkinsons is no excuse for what he is complaining about esp. at that time of day. This is, of course, predicated on your telling the entire story and not leaving details out, like 90% of people do. You have a right to free passage and travel on public roads, doesn't matter if it is convenient for your neighbor or not. as long as you are not being an asshat about it. get a gopro and record your coming in and if he comes in your garage again tell him he is tresspassing and YOU will call the cops on him if he does it again.

cbj5259

Established Member
To answer some of the OP's question...anyone can complain about anything to the police. Police departments receive all kinds of complaints about things that traditionally have not been within the purview of traditional police service. Since the advent of "community policing" the police now respond to "quality of life" complaints on a daily basis. As far as validity goes...I assume you mean is it a criminal offense. Noise ordinances vary from municipality to municipality so it's hard to say if you were or were not violating any local noise ordinance. Some homeowners associations have there own noise rules that they enforce on their own. Just so you are aware though when someone calls in a complaint, the police are duty bound to investigate the complaint even if it's complete BS. This doesn't mean you are guilty of anything or they actually believe the complaint is valid, they are just conducting their due diligence.

People tend to try and use the police as their personal "hammer" to go after their neighbors and usually in petty instances such as the one the OP is talking it ends causing both parties to dislike the response from the police. The complainer ends up thinking the police aren't doing their jobs because they dont get what they want and the person who the cops were called on thinks the police are harassing them.

My suggestion is to handle this the way people used to handle things 50 years ago when neighborhoods actually were made up of "neighbors" and not individuals who live next to each other. Talk to the person. Invite him over to your garage for a beer...show him your car. Ask him what is acceptable to him and what is not acceptable to him. You would be shocked what can happen when two people put away their bravado and egos and actually sit down and talk. Maybe the guy is a complete asshole...but maybe you will find some common ground and you guys can be civil. Just my suggestion

Sent from my SM-N920T using Tapatalk

silver03svt

Official Snowflake Melting Machine
Established Member
Posts #5 and #6 both have some sound advice. Try the 1 on 1 approach first....hell, invite the MG guy over too, and start talking cars with them, have a cold beer, and see how things turn out.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
In a SHTF scenario for you, if cops get really tired of this and see you driving around your neighborhood and decide to pull you over for noise violations you could get sent to the state ref as you are not smog compliant. There are noise limits on street legal cars, so you could get a ticket for it at any point in time, not just because of your neighbor.

I agree with others suggesting trying to talk to the guy and befriend him. If you can't make amends, befriending others in the neighborhood may get him to back off a little too. Like the guy in the MB. I'm sure if you were friends with him and he caught wind his friend was harassing other car enthusiasts on the street he might ask him to settle down.

Besides all the usual benefits of being friends or at least good acquaintances with people on your street.

Either the guy is a bit racist, or something happened between you two a long time ago and its not something that will be easy for you two to get over.

Black2010

Established Member
Not a LEO here.

Some really good advice to take in this thread. I'll just add a couple points to help calm your nerves. Find out what your local noise restrictions are. Buy a meter and test it. If you are over that then fix it. If you aren't then don't sweat it. Basically, if you are street legal you have nothing to worry about if he calls the COPs on you.

Also, learn your HOA bylaws if you are in a HOA. Sounds like a lot of street traffic of which most HOA's have restrictions on as it relates to parking.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not a LEO here.

Some really good advice to take in this thread. I'll just add a couple points to help calm your nerves. Find out what your local noise restrictions are. Buy a meter and test it. If you are over that then fix it. If you aren't then don't sweat it. Basically, if you are street legal you have nothing to worry about if he calls the COPs on you.

Also, learn your HOA bylaws if you are in a HOA. Sounds like a lot of street traffic of which most HOA's have restrictions on as it relates to parking.

He doesn't have cats so he's not street legal regardless of noise. But knowing where he lies in regards to that limit is a good idea.

There are specific requirements in how to measure the volume too.

esonu

Established Member
As far as inviting him over and all I have previously done that. We have even have them cookies and home backed goods during holidays but they keep being this way so that has stopped also.

As far as noise level didn't know there was a restriction. I am currently cat less but rarely in the streets not highway I go over 3500rpm. I will check in measuring the noise. But in all fairness my car is no where near as loud as some of the other neighbors. I'm talking big block chevys all in the neighborhood straight piped or glass packs. And some STIs with ridiculous sounding exhausts(in a good way).
Idk ill just do my do diligence and try to accommodate but can't promise the guy nothing since he's not being really fair.

I appreciate everyone's input.
Thank you.

josephcostello

Established Member
As long as you're not breaking any rules what authority does he have to complain? Play by the rules, and if he has something to say he can be man enough to come talk to you.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Posts #5 and #6 both have some sound advice. Try the 1 on 1 approach first....hell, invite the MG guy over too, and start talking cars with them, have a cold beer, and see how things turn out.

Agree with this advice. See if you can find some common ground with your neighbor. A few beers and some chit chat can go a long way. If it doesn't work out then at least you can say you tried.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
one thing to keep in mind about passenger car exhaust noise ordinances in california - technically (key word) they have a very low threshold, so you can get ticketed pretty easily. i think it is like 80 decibels, which in my terminator's case would only pass with a stock catback and midpipe.

even a flowmaster catback (which is one of the quietest out there) coupled with the stock h-pipe did not pass at the state bar referee.

Arrickh

Established Member
I had a similar situation. This guy who lives on the street next to the street I live on complained that I "Ran 70 mph down the street and woke up his mom." Funny enough I turn down the street I live on right in front of his house so I could only be going 25 or so at the most. Same dude proceeded to ride right behind me in his duallie then make some space and speed up like he was going to hit me till he was right behind me again. Some people are just dicks. Tried to talk with the guy and he still wanted to be unreasonable. I got in front of his house and bounced off the rev limiter to show him what loud is. haven't heard from him since. Apparently slp lm1s with a catless xpipe shuts people up. Not saying you should do this but I did lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread