JPC Over the Axle Pipes Test:

RioRed4v

Established Member
Sorry for the necropost, but I'm confused as to what provides the gains for these pipes. Is it the mandrel bends, or the removal of the resonators?

Curious as well. More curious though if it would be worth it to go with a full 3" setup, or just go with the JPC pipes (3" X to 2.75" JPC pipes to 3" axle back).

t-ray

Established Member
I don't see how removing the resonators would pick up any power. That is of course based on the assumption that the resonators really are resonators and not actual mufflers; resonators should not restrict airflow.

I also find it hard to believe that there's 6 to 8 wheel hp caught up in crimped tubes that far downstream.

The reason I'm curious is I'm considering (in the future) getting these pipes an welding in some 16" or 24" straight through mufflers, in an effort to battle the "evil" O/R H+Roush Muffler combination.

assasinator

1 N the head,2 N da chest
Established Member
a set of 14x3 bullet mufflers should do the same thing, but weigh more. should quiet it down also.

14in. long, 3" ID, 5" OD.

BlackMachWon

WTF?
Established Member
Can the stock over the axle pipes be removed on jack stands or is a lift necessary? Since they are one piece seems like it would be near impossible without a lift. I don't want to cut them

Bud

Established Member
The stock over axles are pretty mashed from the factory (flat spotted resonators, crushed/flatspotted bends, etc). Not sure at what power level they become a gain but they do weigh less so that is a bonus.

I'm running them with an offroad-x and stock mufflers and they sound good, a little loud on cold startup. Will be running aftermarket mufflers for the track to save weight but no way I'd do it on the street with this setup.

t-ray

Established Member
The stock over axles are pretty mashed from the factory (flat spotted resonators, crushed/flatspotted bends, etc). Not sure at what power level they become a gain but they do weigh less so that is a bonus.

I'm running them with an offroad-x and stock mufflers and they sound good, a little loud on cold startup. Will be running aftermarket mufflers for the track to save weight but no way I'd do it on the street with this setup.

Fortunately, it seems the entire Birmingham Alabama metro doesn't give a crap about exhaust volume. The only reason I personally would be concerned with volume is to not piss off the neighbors on a cold start. But I shouldn't be too concerned with that because there are some truly obnoxious Harley's running around this neighborhood at all hours. Even with the roush mufflers, my car on cold start is extremely mild in comparison to these bikes.

D.T.R

Established Member
Sorry i didn't read the whole thread. Just the first post and the last page.
what size piping is this? would it mate up with an O/R H/X pipe ? Any sound clip?

twistedneck

Established Member
I don't see how removing the resonators would pick up any power. That is of course based on the assumption that the resonators really are resonators and not actual mufflers; resonators should not restrict airflow.

I also find it hard to believe that there's 6 to 8 wheel hp caught up in crimped tubes that far downstream.

The reason I'm curious is I'm considering (in the future) getting these pipes an welding in some 16" or 24" straight through mufflers, in an effort to battle the "evil" O/R H+Roush Muffler combination.

The resonators are quite restrictive for higher HP applications or high rpm. Example, they neck down to an ID of 2.25" - that is a lower pipe ID than is required by most online exhaust flow calculators to make 400HP with dual exhaust. Also the kinks above the axle seem to cause pressure drops due to their expansion and then re-compression (pure waste of energy).

The noise difference when you swap those resonators out with the JPC over axle pipes is about 2x louder - maybe 3x and thats energy that was lost before is now stored however minimal. So its making more flow when you add everything up. Does that flow translate into 7HP? depends on your setup. i corked it back up with stock mufflers so there you go i'm probably 10 down on HP.:smmon:

I installed my pipes and mufflers in my garage but its a bitch to get the factory over axle resonator pipes out so i sliced mine in half with the awesome dewalt portable band saw :shrug:

i wanted to measure its restrictive cross sections anyway.

There is a clearance issue with lowered cars and the JPC over axle pipes - its minor but over huge bumps while under full throttle the axle will bang into the pipes right on the plastic vent! it broke my vent cap right off. i've also popped off the pipes there too before i found a hoist and torqued the right tight.

Good luck!

PS if you have an OR X pipe then its even more flow potential that you restrict with the factory system.

Last edited:

2012GTCS

Established Member
Can Anyone else comment on fitment of JPC pipes with a 1.5 rear and 1.25 front drop?!? Am I gonna get banging sounds and anything hitting??? Thanks! Can't believe these haven't dropped in price at all...

t-ray

Established Member
The resonators are quite restrictive for higher HP applications or high rpm. Example, they neck down to an ID of 2.25" - that is a lower pipe ID than is required by most online exhaust flow calculators to make 400HP with dual exhaust. Also the kinks above the axle seem to cause pressure drops due to their expansion and then re-compression (pure waste of energy).

The noise difference when you swap those resonators out with the JPC over axle pipes is about 2x louder - maybe 3x and thats energy that was lost before is now stored however minimal. So its making more flow when you add everything up. Does that flow translate into 7HP? depends on your setup. i corked it back up with stock mufflers so there you go i'm probably 10 down on HP.:smmon:

I installed my pipes and mufflers in my garage but its a bitch to get the factory over axle resonator pipes out so i sliced mine in half with the awesome dewalt portable band saw :shrug:

i wanted to measure its restrictive cross sections anyway.

There is a clearance issue with lowered cars and the JPC over axle pipes - its minor but over huge bumps while under full throttle the axle will bang into the pipes right on the plastic vent! it broke my vent cap right off. i've also popped off the pipes there too before i found a hoist and torqued the right tight.

Good luck!

PS if you have an OR X pipe then its even more flow potential that you restrict with the factory system.

Thanks for the explanation. I am considering going with an OR H along with these pipes in combination with my Roush mufflers. I know it will be loud.

If such a combination is too loud, my "plan" is to weld in some sort of inline bullet style muffler. That is the reason for my original question - a typical resonator should impose no power restriction; i.e., if the stock resonators hurt power, then depending on the reason, a replacement/inline muffler might do the same. However, you have answered my question. Thanks again.

2012GTCS

Established Member
I have Roush as well. I was just going to go with removing the resonators (either new pipes or cutting them) and see how that works. If it has too much pop (which I love) then I will go with an after cat X to smooth it out.

I'd love to go Catless but a lot of clips I hear, the Roush go from one of the best sounding exhausts to one of the worst I've ever heard. Although some videos they still sound good.

Bud

Established Member
Can Anyone else comment on fitment of JPC pipes with a 1.5 rear and 1.25 front drop?!? Am I gonna get banging sounds and anything hitting??? Thanks! Can't believe these haven't dropped in price at all...

Bumping this up. I'm down 1.5" in the rear with these pipes and the pipe is almost on the axle on the drivers side and have popped it off now over a bump. I could try to spread it a bit at the joint to make it sit higher but thinking it will still vibrate/pop loose eventually.

Going to try throwing an add'l exhaust hanger on it next week to pull it up a bit away from the axle, not sure what else to do on clearance. There is room above the pipe and some flex in the system to hopefully make that happen. Dig the pipes and the sound with the offroad x and stock mufflers so need to make them work.

Users who are viewing this thread