Josh Hamilton wants a 7 year 175 million contract.

Boomer182

Haveyoutriedhittingher?
Established Member
That is to big of a risk if you ask me.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...lly-get-anywhere-near-seven-years-175-million
According to John Perrotto of Baseball Prospectus, Josh Hamilton is looking for a contract in the vicinity of seven years in length and worth a total of $175 million. Whether or not he receives it is a different story, but that is probably the starting point for any negotiations.

On average, he would earn $25 million per year if he gets his wish.

Also, if he gets his wish, his average annual salary will be tied for the fourth highest in Major League Baseball history, according to Scott Kendrick of about.com.

Two of the contracts ahead of him belong to Alex Rodriguez, one is the major contract signed by Albert Pujols last winter and Hamilton would be tied with Ryan Howard in terms of average annual value.

If you look at those three names I just mentioned, you have to wonder about the wisdom behind offering a similarly large contract to Hamilton.

The Yankees are beginning to suffer from the effects of Rodriguez's huge contract as he is getting older and his production is dropping. When he was an MVP candidate, the Yankees were not as concerned about his contract, but it is not nearly as attractive now.

Similarly, Ryan Howard has suffered from an ever-decreasing batting average, which has made Philadelphia fans wonder about the wisdom behind that contract as well.

It might be too early to judge the overall impact of Pujols' contract, but the first season was not nearly what the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim probably had in mind when they brought him to town.

All of that being said, Hamilton is a different player, so the problems with their contracts don't necessarily have to impact him. However, he will be aging like Rodriguez, or he might struggle like Howard or Pujols.

For the sake of good intentions, let's assume that Hamilton has an excellent seven seasons. Let's assume that he plays even better than he has with the Texas Rangers.

That is all in the future, and no Major League Baseball team knows that right now. All they know is what I mentioned before. They know that long-term contracts of this magnitude don't tend to work out as well as they were originally intended to. Even though this is what Hamilton wants, it would be surprising to see him receive anywhere near $25 million on average per season.

Whether you think I know everything or nothing about Major League Baseball, you should follow me on Twitter or become a fan on Facebook and keep in touch. I love hearing what you all have to say!

Last edited:
Should be interesting to see if a market for a contract like that exists anymore. Hamilton is 31. But still a great player.

jbs$

Established Member
The only way he or anyone else would be worth $175Mil. over seven years would be unquestionable proof that they, by their presents alone, will bring an additionial $700Mil in revenue to the table. This guy - no way.

The only way he or anyone else would be worth $175Mil. over seven years would be unquestionable proof that they, by their presents alone, will bring an additionial $700Mil in revenue to the table. This guy - no way.

I'm curious why that $700 million figure? How are you coming to that figure being necessary to justify a $175 million deal?

jbs$

Established Member
What part of an overall revenue increase after all of the expenses and the business risk is taken into considertion is the guy entitled to.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
700 million, lol

If the guy could bring in enough fans to just double what he's getting paid, id say it would be a good investment. I highly doubt Josh Hamilton will account for even that 350 million in fan revenue for the next 7 years. Texas has a clutch lineup full of solid hitters that people will pay just as much to see, and are payed much less. They would be crazy to spend $175 million on a basketcase like Hamilton. If he is holding out for that contract, he will not sign with Texas.

Last edited:

VNOMIS

Yeah, I said it
Established Member
Yep, literally.

If I were a owner his contract would have so many stipulations it wouldn't be funny. He's going to earn that 25m on and off the diamond.

This! Whoever signs him there's no doubt there's gonna be an ass load of stipulations in his contract given his past.

65fastback2+2

Established Member
id say 3 years, $30-50 mil is more along the lines of what he deserves....gotta realize he'll be injured half of each season

the Yankees will most likely pay it. they always overpay for garbage.

First of all Hamilton isn't garbage. He's always been an incredibly talented player and has had great success since he got is personal life in order. He's actually a very inspiring player to many young people.

Secondly, the Yankees are on a mission to reduce payroll. Its not going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread