Joining the Army Special Forces

DexwarL

Established Member
What's up Guys

I am a 25year old who is bored with is job as a Corrections Officer, I just got out of the Air Force in Feb. 08, job was Security Forces, or (Military Police) and have been wanting to go back into the military since. This time I prefer a challenging job and what to join the Army Special Forces(Green Berets) if any of you guys know or have any information other then what I have been told by the recuiter, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Last edited:

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
What's up Guys

I am a 25year old who is bored with is job as a Corrections Officer, I just got out of the Air Force in Feb. 08, job was Security Forces, or (Military Police) and have been wanting to go back into the military since. This time I prefer a challenging job and what to join the Army Special Forces(Green Berets) if any of you guys know or have any information other then what I have been told by the recuiter, I would love to hear them.

Thanks

Well what exactly did the recruiter tell you for starters, and ask about the Xray program. He will know what it is.

A recruit who enlists in the 18X Special Forces enlistment program will attend Infantry OSUT (One Station Unit Training), which combines Army Basic Training and Infantry AIT (Advanced Individual Training), all in one 17-week course.
Upon graduation, recruits attend Airborne Training at Fort Benning, GA. After "jump school," recruits attend a 4-week Special Operations Preparation Course (SOPC) at McKenna MOUT Site, Fort Benning, Georgia. Following graduation from SOPC, recruits are scheduled for the Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) program. This is a very tough course, and has an extremely high wash-out rate. The Special Forces Assessment and Selection (SFAS) program assesses and selects Soldiers for attendance at the Special Forces Qualification Course (SFQC). This program allows SF an opportunity to assess each Soldier's capabilities by testing his physical, emotional, and mental stamina. The SFAS also allows each Soldier the opportunity to make a meaningful and educated decision about SF and his career plan.

Its tough, i went through SFAS but got hurt :fm: ****ing worst shit of my life ever making it through the begining and getting injured. All i can say is from experience make absolutely sure your 100% physically ready and have a great professional attitude or you will get what they call "Peered Out" meaning the instructors dont like you and you will not go on into the Q course. Good luck

DexwarL

Established Member
Thanks for that information, how long were you in the program before you got injured?

And yes the recuiter told me that i didn't have to know a foreign language proir to going in.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
Are the days there really long, and filled with activities

Its non stop, you dont get to rest hardly, the first couple days are hard, then it gets even harder. Very physically and mentally demanding. I got hurt because they put you into teams 5-6 man teams as if you were at your unit, and if a team member drops or gets booted, and your in the patrolling/SFTX phase you have to carry their gear that they leave behind as if they were a combat casualty. IE 50#+ rucksack, their weapon/ammo/radios etc on top of your basic load, your ruck, your weapon, radios, and any MOS critical tools you have. Thats what ****ed me, we had 2 guys drop in my team in one day so we had to carry their shit. I had 2 rucks and a 240 plus my M4 and it was too much for the patrolling phase i mashed my ankle up real bad and was med'd.

Matts00GT

Mongoloid Mike
Established Member
Its non stop, you dont get to rest hardly, the first couple days are hard, then it gets even harder. Very physically and mentally demanding. I got hurt because they put you into teams 5-6 man teams as if you were at your unit, and if a team member drops or gets booted, and your in the patrolling/SFTX phase you have to carry their gear that they leave behind as if they were a combat casualty. IE 50#+ rucksack, their weapon/ammo/radios etc on top of your basic load, your ruck, your weapon, radios, and any MOS critical tools you have. Thats what ****ed me, we had 2 guys drop in my team in one day so we had to carry their shit. I had 2 rucks and a 240 plus my M4 and it was too much for the patrolling phase i mashed my ankle up real bad and was med'd.

Patrolling sucks period. I couldnt imagine having to do a patrolling lane with that amount of weight, especially at Benning in the summer. Heat exhaustion would be a huge deal.

FX4 SAPPER

Established Member
man that sucks, I'm glad you can share your experience with me, and hope you can share more

Yeah man anytime, im pretty sure there are a few active SF members here. Like i said talk to your recruiter about the Xray program, and train your balls off.

ssj4sadie

Established Member
Premium Member

Hell nah! I had to carry the 240 plus my M4, IBA and all ammo included from the armory to the barracks to the motorpool. That sucked ass! (I'm AF and work on computers BTW, but not when I was an ILO airman).

Good luck to the OP:rockon:

rich5150

Network Guy
Established Member
You guys freaking rock for even attempting, let alone succeeding at such a demanding job in the armed forces. Words can't explain my appreciation for you guys and all service personnel.

Good luck man in whatever you choose.

ToyoFl

Established Member
To this I would counter A combat control team or PJs.......:beer:

For sure, my uncle was in Rangers and I know a bunch of special forces guys, and they all say the same thing....Combat Control is THE coolest job in the military :beer:...they go out with everybody from Green Berets to Seals to Recon...

Users who are viewing this thread