Jlt 3.0 oil seperator

Fdnyshelby

Established Member
Jlt 3.0 oil separator

Anyone running the 3.0 version? How do you like iT? Any rubbing? I have about 200 miles on my passenger and have already rubbed a nice spot on my valve cover. I emailed jlt to see if this is normal with no response...

Last edited:

SCGallo2

Balanced performance
Established Member
Premium Member
Received mine yesterday and I just installed it for a test fit after seeing your post. I have a 1/4" of clearance at the closest point to the valve cover, so I do not believe it will make contact on my Whippled 2008.

I am going to baseline my previous version before swapping it out with the 3.0 for a real-world comparison on my car with the same mileage under similar driving conditions.

Fdnyshelby

Established Member
For some reason mine rests on the valve cover Which I hate and will prob remove it soon... It has collected a good amount of oil in 200ish miles though

ShelbyGT5HUN

Established Member
Which part of the valve cover is it hitting? The spark plug cover, or the actual engine valve cover?

916er

Established Member
I bought 3.0 jlt and it did the same thing. Mine touched the valvehicle cover (I have a 2012). I called them and they suggested trying to rotate the hoses. That didn't work because the canister rotated and didn't look right. Called them back and they seemed to be in denial about the situation. I sent it back, probably get Bob's unit. Too bad because the jlt was simple to install and looked good. But, there was no way I was going to settle for valve cover rubbing!

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
This is wierd as JLT usually has well thought out pieces. Too bad as one bad item can ruin a lot of built up good rep. Hopefully they will make it right. Glad I have a Bobs.

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
I have the bob's catch can on the passenger side and the JLT on the driver side.

28981338496_e5968b906f_c.jpg

limitedex

Love me some SVT
Established Member
This is wierd as JLT usually has well thought out pieces. Too bad as one bad item can ruin a lot of built up good rep. Hopefully they will make it right. Glad I have a Bobs.

Look, I have no idea what "1.0, 2.0, or 3.0" I have. But seriously my JLT is awesome.

I think some people are just silly as I would say to my three year old.

JW03

Established Member
Look, I have no idea what "1.0, 2.0, or 3.0" I have. But seriously my JLT is awesome.

The 3.0 is a newly released product. I also have a JLT and have been extremely happy with it. Hopefully, they correct whatever is causing the rubbing issue.

2FORDS

Established Member
My guess is that they increased the capacity to 3oz and it is longer ,height wise,and a little more weight ,so it flexes the hoses and causes it to touch the valve cover.
Does any one have the problem with the prevous model. Untill I hear of a fix probably going to hold off purchasing one.
I sure do like the design though!

Snoopy49

Established Member

The version 1 & 2 are the same unit with a different filter screen. The 3.0 is larger in diameter and possibly length, hold 3 times as much oil and uses a different filter than the previous versions.

Here are a couple of pictures showing a version 1 & 2 with their filters, version 1 used the larger separate filter in the outlet side of the separator and version 2 uses the smallest filter located in the inlet side. Version 3.0 uses a enclosed filter located in the inlet side.

The evolution of the JLT Oil Separator filter screen:

Last edited:

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
If you can rotate the tubes on both the fittings you can probably gain a little clearance while still allowing it to sit level.

Fdnyshelby

Established Member
the issue appears to be a larger can size without increasing the height of the front connection. Resulting in a contact between the can and the blue valve cover. While some may not mind such a small and mostly hidden blemish. The Shelby owners I know would be offput by this.

brian98svtsnake

Established Member
I just bought one for my 08, I'll post here when I get it and report about fitment. I have a Bob's that I was looking to replace but if it doesn't fit right I'll send it back. Just looking to clean up my engine bay, too much vista blue now.

Here's my engine bay with Bob's painted vista blue. Too much blue so I'm trying the JLT in black

IMG_1255_zpse08ecuus.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread