JDM '03 Cobra Headers w/Video at E-Town

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by Matt03
I got incredible gains with my 01' bbk longtubes, would it really be worth switching them out for the 03 headers

I don't know. Did you see the article in either mm&ff Or muscle mustangs and fast fords (can't remember which one) where they got 55 rear wheel horses from bbk long tubes/h-pipe and a k&n?

Only time will tell......

JDM..... Any dyno numbers?

Jim@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
larryc7777,

No it was not open headers.
It was long tube headers, Hi-Flow cats and our unique design h-pipe with magniflow cat back.

SVTVenom,

It was 2.80 upper pulley .
Our headers produce 5 to 7 more HP than the BBK's and 23 foot lbs of torque over the BBK's.

toofast4u,

This car has the capibilities of 11.20's and I know this because we have built other 03 cobras with the same mods that have gone 11.20's with sticky tires.

Matt03,

The BBK's do interfear with the exhaust port.
Not to much HP restriction but there is a ton of torque lost with the BBK's .

Jim@JDM

Jim@JDM

Insane SVT Poster
Black03,

The independent suspention makes it difficult to launch hard.
Always worried about braking a half shaft.
Some tracks have such good bit that you could brake a half shaft at 3000 RPM's.
I have launched our cobra over 5000 RPM's but used the clutch so it didn't have such a hard hit.
Basicly I feathered the clutch.
Tire pressuer on F1's 18 to 20 lbs.
Drag radials at 18 lbs.

Hope this helps

Jim@JDM

cubes

Established Member
Originally posted by Jeremy@JDM

It dynoed at approx 490 rwhp and 560 lb feet of torque.
Is the factory fuel system maxed? What is the factory capability?

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
It's still kind of early in the game to tell, we have slightly over 500 rwhp in our JDM 03 Cobra and no problems.

If I had to guess I would say up to 550 rwhp, then the fuel pumps might have to be replaced.

ygohome

Bullz
Established Member
prices for H-PIPE that was used???

Originally posted by Jim@JDM
larryc7777,

It was long tube headers, Hi-Flow cats and our unique design h-pipe with magniflow cat back.

Jim@JDM

I'd be interested in the LTs and H-PIPE w/cats. How much for both?

Thanks

:beer:

Fast2000L

Ford Driver
Established Member
"I'd be interested in the LTs and H-PIPE w/cats. How much for both? "

What he said.

I'd also be like to see a picture of the H-Pipe w/ and w/o cats, if you have some.

Thanks,

Mark

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
The H-pipe w/Hi-Flow cats is $395.

The tubes connect to the collector with small tabs on each side and you just bolt them together. I'll post some close up pics if you would like?

david smilovic

Established Member
I have this set up and I love it but I have recieved 4 flip off's for being to loud!!One guy got out of his pick up and wasnt armed so I told him about cussing in front of his kids riding in the back of his pick up.Finally opened the door(I'm a rather large man) and made him appologize to my daughter and his 5 kids and went on my way,never been violent since the Government paid me to kill people in the 60's.
As far as performance goes it KICKS BUTT!!! but be prepared its no where street legal.I'm guessing I got about 45-50 rrwhp its hard to measure cause my motors an all aluminum stroker and lays down big #'s Dave S.

mosconiac

Established Member
Given that some '03 owners have opted for 3" exhaust, is it possible to get the headers with 3" collectors??

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
There is a choice of an
H-Pipe w/ Hi-Flow cats or Off Road X-Pipe (no cats).

We can do 3" collectors. If there's enough interest say 10 or so we can put together a group purchase for all of you guys wanting to go the 3" route.

Last edited:

highmiles

Established Member
Originally posted by Jeremy@JDM
The tubes connect to the collector with small tabs on each side and you just bolt them together. I'll post some close up pics if you would like?

I don't 100% understand about small tabs. I was under the impression the tubes and collector were all welded as one piece.
How does the system differ from BBK?

Here is the BBK LT setup:

highmiles

Established Member
Are the tabs you refer to, the tabs at head where the header bolts onto. Photo #2 that you originally posted. Is the only difference is that BBK and stock have a complete solid piece and Kooks (JDM) have individual tubes and no cross bar? I suspect the gasket is still one piece that runs across all 4 cylinders?

Thanks.

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
Ok let me see if I can answer all the installation and tab questions here.

Basically with our Headers you have 4 Individual Primary Tubes which you bolt up one exhaust port at a time.

After all 4 Tubes are bolted up to the engine, you have a slip on collector which slides over the 4 tubes.

There are tabs on the individual tubes and on the collector side which align to lock everything together and keep it leak free.

It's alot easier than I probably just made it sound.

This is all done to make installation easier, with a one piece Long Tube Header such as the BBK, when installing on an 03 Cobra for example, you actually have to raise the engine or drop the K-member to get them in there. With our Long Tube Headers installation can be done without moving the engine etc. and saves time by snaking in the Tubes one at a time.

Here are some pics of the tabs-
4v4.jpg

Last edited:

highmiles

Established Member
Thank you.

The photo explains it and it is exactly how I thought it went. The information that JDM told me on the phone last week was completely, totally incorrect and 100% conflicting to the photo you posted.

I have a huge concern with the slip on technique. I am just not 100% confidant of it being leak free. Since LTs sit low and sometimes get jarred, I am concerned over it coming apart.

Do you think the collar can be welded to insure a leak free seal?

Do the tabs point towards body, towards ground, towards tranny or away from tranny?

Thank you very much for the photo and help.

Jeremy@JDM

Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
The tubes are made to fit up to the special collar in the collector for a leak free seal. We have installed many here at the shop and sold quite a few through the mail, and I have never heard of them leaking. The Tabs are horizontal (parallel with the ground).

They also have two sets of O2 bungs (4 in total) 2 on the tubes and 2 on the collectors. You can choose where to mount the 02 sensors, and seal off the other two with bolts, or hook up an A/F gauge, etc.

I have heard our Long Tubes, H-Pipe w/ Hi-Flow Cats and a stock Cat-Back, it's actually not bad. Obviously not as loud as with an aftermarket cat-back, but definitely louder than stock.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread