James Webb Telescope Launch and updates

Riddla

It's for your own protection
Established Member
The next-gen telescope which will be the successor to the Hubble. It will be launching Dec 25th at 7:20 AM EST.

The possibilities for the JWT are impressive.
Here is an article comparing the two.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
So ****ing hyped for this mate. Truly excited as I geek out my on space. Here is to hoping the first month goes as planned as the deploying of different parts will be difficult task. But if everything goes well this will see some crazy things.

blk02edge

Established Member
The JWST is giving me serious anxiety. This ****ing thing just absolutely has to work yet it's so damn complicated.

Fingers crossed!

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Very cool. I'm not a physicist, but I am a chemist and this is very interesting to the big nerd in me. It's crazy to think of how long it takes for certain images to be visible to us. Their actuality is probably vastly different than what we are able to see at that moment, due to the time it took for that light/image to get to us. Crazy.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
And we’re off!! Check out this tracker. It’s like Santa but for adults.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
And we’re off!! Check out this tracker. It’s like Santa but for adults.
It's already 48,000 miles away from earth? 20% the distance to the moon? In four hours?

blk02edge

Established Member
It's already 48,000 miles away from earth? 20% the distance to the moon? In four hours?
That's what happens when you are going 2 miles per second.

Don't try to compare it to Apollo as there was humans involved and the need to re-slow for lunar orbit, very, very different ball game

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
That is so amazing. With all the negative stuff spinning every day, a story like this is exhilarating. Technology never ceases to amaze me.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
That's what happens when you are going 2 miles per second.

Don't try to compare it to Apollo as there was humans involved and the need to re-slow for lunar orbit, very, very different ball game
Interesting we don't do missions to the moon in one day and then back home tomorrow. Surely there could be some benefit from not visiting the moon since the 60's-70's.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
Interesting we don't do missions to the moon in one day and then back home tomorrow. Surely there could be some benefit from not visiting the moon since the 60's-70's.

Cause its a lot of work, money and risk. Until we have some sort of vision on what a Moon base would be and how it'll save resources (since even with a lunar launch pad all the material comes from Earth) why bother. That's why Mars in interesting. Get the equipment there, there is fuel.

blk02edge

Established Member
Google the Artemis mission. Still won't be a one day trip though, like I said, different ballgame with humans involved and needing to enter lunar orbit, even in this day and age.

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Did they put a camera on it to show Earth as it was leaving? I can't find any links. That seems like it would have been pretty cool.

F8l Vnm

Established Member
It’s going to take about a month to get all set up/test. Then reach destination. I would imagine we will start seding pics within next 90-120 days. That L2 orbit is a sweet spot where it will not be hindered by the moons shadow.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
It’s going to take about a month to get all set up/test. Then reach destination. I would imagine we will start seding pics within next 90-120 days. That L2 orbit is a sweet spot where it will not be hindered by the moons shadow.

Should be pretty exciting. The images from the Parker probe that came out after it skimmed the sun were pretty amazing.

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
I was surprised to learn that L2 is not "stable."I thought all five LaGrange points were, but no. L1, L2 and L3 are not stable.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
I was surprised to learn that L2 is not "stable."I thought all five LaGrange points were, but no. L1, L2 and L3 are not stable.
I'm assuming that's why it will technically orbit around L2 and not simply "sit there" statically...?

Users who are viewing this thread