Issues engaging 2nd/3rd

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
One other possible thought with the 2-3 shift could be the the stop on the shifter. Does the shifter itself have adjustable stops?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
If it does, 1-2, 3-4 and 5-6 are all the same.

Yes I agree. However in my car I had a hard time with the 1-2 shift but 3-4 was fine. I backed up the stop and it's never failed to go into 2nd since.
This was on a T45 with a MGW shifter. *The T45 has internal stops*

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Yes I agree. However in my car I had a hard time with the 1-2 shift but 3-4 was fine. I backed up the stop and it's never failed to go into 2nd since.
This was on a T45 with a MGW shifter. *The T45 has internal stops*

Did it feel like a synchro? Mine makes a grind sensation and rejects the shift

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

01yellercobra

Established Member
Wait what? ........lmfao
@Corbic bought a car that turned out to have some....issues. I think he's still working on them.

OP, if the car has a firewall adjuster turn it out a couple turns. If the clutch isn't fully releasing it can cause shifting issues. And it may only show up in a couple gears.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
@Corbic bought a car that turned out to have some....issues. I think he's still working on them.

OP, if the car has a firewall adjuster turn it out a couple turns. If the clutch isn't fully releasing it can cause shifting issues. And it may only show up in a couple gears.

That’s what the seller mentioned, haven’t had a chance to test it out. Just researching. I would think it would have same issue in every gear

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

NotSatisfied

Established Member
I will add that my car has an ACT Twin Disc XT Street 26 Spline, D&D 26 Spline Input shaft, MM Firewall adjuster, UPR quadrant, Adjustable Pivot Ball, D&D Throw out bearing and sleeve and PRO 5.0

I have taken the suggestion to tighten the firewall adjuster of the cable1/4 turn but haven't attempted to drive it yet as the car is still torn down. When i did drive it, first gear engagement seemed strange/unpredictable. the second gear seemed almost like a lock out rejection grind.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Talked to previous owner today. He mentioned he couldn’t source Synchromesh and put Mobil Synthetic ATF 2-300 miles ago.

Said he never had an issue with that trans. So maybe it’s a fluid thing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

03venomdsg

Established Member
Talked to previous owner today. He mentioned he couldn’t source Synchromesh and put Mobil Synthetic ATF 2-300 miles ago.

Said he never had an issue with that trans. So maybe it’s a fluid thing.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com
Put Mobil in my magnum and it shifted terribly especially at high rpm. Also sounds stupid, but had my shifter bolts come loose once when I still had the t56 and 2nd wouldn't engage properly. Figured it's at least worth a check.

NotSatisfied

Established Member
Put Mobil in my magnum and it shifted terribly especially at high rpm. Also sounds stupid, but had my shifter bolts come loose once when I still had the t56 and 2nd wouldn't engage properly. Figured it's at least worth a check.
So maybe that is the problem. I guess Ill just splurge on Tremecs new HP-MTF fluid then..

Update- actually I don’t think Tremec wants you to use this on OEM T56 that could have carbon friction rings.

So what should I use?

cobracide

Established Member
My T56 has rough 2->3 shifts and is notchy until it warms up. Like if I go to the store a couple miles away. After that, and drive home, it's gone completely.

Users who are viewing this thread