issue with e85

v8stang

Established Member
A little background:

Last month I had Shaun tune my car with 93 on 47s, knowing that I'd be switching to e85 soon. I logged the car and took it to the track and ran a personal best. Everything was running fine.
About a week later, I did the switch to e85. For those of you you have done the swap, I ran the first full tank of e85, which it seemed to run perfect on the base tune. After the second fill up, the car stalled out a few times at idle, and when shifting into neutral at low speeds.

It rained for a couple of weeks, so no logs. On the third fill up, I finally was able to get some logs. When I sent them over to Shaun, I mentioned about the stalling. He compared the recent e85 logs to last month's logs on 93 with the same 47s...

He said I have a vacuum leak and guessed it was maybe a leaky oil seperator. But the motor has been untouched since the last datalogs.
-only "motor" mods: 47s, drop in k&n

This is his last response as of earlier today:

15% lean at idle is not common when swapping to E85 (with what I do in my ethanol tune), so I don't know exactly what to do aside from adjust the tune. I'd just hate to adjust anything only for you to find the issue later on and the tune is now rich at idle, which will cause stalling.
FYI, right now the idle is not actually lean, the O2's are trimming fuel by 15% to correct for this.

Has anyone ran into something similar?
Thanks

Cliff notes:
tasted the koolaid on 93
swapped to corn
first tank on base tune ran fine
second and third fill up stalling occurred.
logs show o2's are trimming fuel by 15% to adjust for vacuum leak.
stock untouched motor except for 47s and drop in filter
please help, svtp

Last edited:

twistedneck

Established Member
i switched over with his tune also on the 47's and had no lean issue causing idle stalling. its possible there is a leak i'd look it over since you had to remove fuel lines and stuff anything could have been knocked loose.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
I had a leak on the lines that went to my boost a pump and boost gauge. Didn't cause any issues with tuning bc it wasn't bad enough BUT it could have gotten worse and caused issues. You might have a similar issue but didn't know about it before. Get some carb cleaner and hunt down the leak.

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Shaun knows what he is doing. I have seen the injector o-rings leak and cause the same issue, As said above, get some carb cleaner and start hunting it down!

125oh

Established Member
Had this problem when switching to e85 . Reinstalled injectors and problem seemed to be fixed

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
have you tried un pluging the battery for 10min an the reload the tune an try to see if the car can re learn itself

Jedisalami

Established Member
he guessed my vac leak at the oil seperator as well, and I didnt even tell him I had one, lol. I had rough idle issues

v8stang

Established Member
have you tried un pluging the battery for 10min an the reload the tune an try to see if the car can re learn itself

Ill give that a try

he guessed my vac leak at the oil seperator as well, and I didnt even tell him I had one, lol. I had rough idle issues

I dont have one though...

yesterday I removed the injectors and lubed both ends with vaseline.
Havent logged it yet, but it still feels the same. Next thing will be to switch back to 93 and go from there...

v8stang

Established Member
Thats what I was thinking. I ordered a tester a few days ago...
But im on the 4th tank already. Only the first ran fine.

Last edited:

NoSlo5oH

Established Member
Try checking all of clamps on your CAI system to make sure they are tight, as they will vibrate loose over time and cause a vacuum leak.

Users who are viewing this thread