Is this clutch chatter, or what? Mcleod RXT

whiplash920

Established Member
Does Ford recommend changing the o-rings once you take it apart? Seems like a wise idea to swap them out. Once an o-ring is seated, it never really gets back to its original shape or position, then can leak!

When I upgraded to the rxt, I also got a braided steel clutch line. After only a year, the oring on the end that goes into the black plastic piece at the bell housing degraded and was leaking. Seems like they should use better orings.

RedZR

Established Member
From the "for what its worth department" I have a new 2010 TSB replacement clutch system that I purchased for a great price and am saving it for when the factory clutch in my 2008 goes bad. I am pretty much stock (CAI, tune and mufflers) and hoping that it holds up. While doing more research on it I found what looks to be a very similar clutch on Lingenfelter's web site:

http://www.lingenfelter.com/mm5/mer...ategory_Code=C328&Store_Code=LPE#.ViWSGfmrSUk

I noticed it was rated at "over 700 horsepower". From my Corvette experience, LPE builds pretty bullet proof stuff. Makes me wonder just how much power the stocker can hold before it goes kaput!

On the flip side, I do not read about many post 2010 GT500s clutch going bad as quickly as the 2007-2009s

Dan

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member
On the flip side, I do not read about many post 2010 GT500s clutch going bad as quickly as the 2007-2009s

Dan

Didn't the 07-09's have some weird heat-issue that would warp the fly-wheel then destroy the clutch within like 13k miles? Thought they had a recall on the clutches because of that, mainly happened in traffic situations, stop and go.

Anyway I'll get my car to Ford next week and also make them check the braided clutch line they installed just to make sure that is fine too.

Last edited:

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
IMHO, the 07-09 had a more robust clutch. They were ceramic vs semi metalic that is found in the 10+. They were noisy and prone to chatter, that is why Ford stopped using them. Not that they were weaker.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Shifty, how many miles do you have on the clutch? Mine definitely took a good bit to be thoroughly broken in. It was about 2,000 miles. Had most of the same symptoms as you up to that point. Much more robust that stock for sure, but feel it's a push with the stock clutch insofar as drive ability is concerned.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP, that's a form of chatter, but not really. The noise you here when you press your clutch pedal back in is chatter. What you're feeling as wheel hop is really your clutch skipping across the flywheel. It's a royal PITA to deal with, and everybody has a different way to deal with it. For me and my SPEC Super Twin, the best "remedy" is to let it skip just enough to get the car moving forward, press the clutch pedal in, rev the engine up a couple hundred more RPM, then let the clutch pedal all the way out. After going through that rigmarole, the smoothest I can get is a rough lurch forward [in stop-and-go traffic.] It's not quite as much of an ordeal when I'm not in traffic or am at the front of the traffic at a light. In those cases, I usually end up just chirping it coming from a stop. I try to avoid parking lots and parking garages at all costs! It's almost a tear inducing nightmare.

A high performance clutch can be a bear to live with. You either have to adjust and deal with it, or go back to a stock type clutch.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
OP, that's a form of chatter, but not really. The noise you here when you press your clutch pedal back in is chatter. What you're feeling as wheel hop is really your clutch skipping across the flywheel. It's a royal PITA to deal with, and everybody has a different way to deal with it. For me and my SPEC Super Twin, the best "remedy" is to let it skip just enough to get the car moving forward, press the clutch pedal in, rev the engine up a couple hundred more RPM, then let the clutch pedal all the way out. After going through that rigmarole, the smoothest I can get is a rough lurch forward [in stop-and-go traffic.] It's not quite as much of an ordeal when I'm not in traffic or am at the front of the traffic at a light. In those cases, I usually end up just chirping it coming from a stop. I try to avoid parking lots and parking garages at all costs! It's almost a tear inducing nightmare.

A high performance clutch can be a bear to live with. You either have to adjust and deal with it, or go back to a stock type clutch.

Not sure if I'd want to deal with that.

ShiftyThePirate

Established Member

Okay thankfully mine is not THAT bad. If I was having to do that I wouldn't be driving this daily haha. I've found it really just depends on how smooth I am or fast I am with the clutch. Today it didn't chatter at all, I swear it's weird, I can drive it the same..the same...then suddenly do the same thing and it seems as if it chatters. I believe at the very end of engagement is where it starts to chatter if you aren't giving it enough rpms and getting off it fast enough.

Parking lots are no problem for me.

Also uh, also my chatter is when RELEASING the clutch pedal, not putting it back in...I only put it back in if say I start to go in then suddenly the car in front of me decides to stop, no chatter then either. It's when releasing the clutch pedal, and right near where it is fully engaged it can chatter, and it seems to be when I'm in the "zone" too long and not giving it enough gas. At times when releasing it yes it does chatter and that's when I push it back in then just let it out and I'm off, random though, which is the weird part.

Sorry maybe my original post was confusing. It does chatter, but only if I'm babying it I'm noticing, though yes at other times when I've been stopping and going randomly it'll chatter, when I THINK I'm driving it the same, maybe I'm off a beat though. I'll need to actually get in traffic again to test it again though.

Currently it's more of a I just end up letting it go a bit fast around 1100-1300rpm and my tires just spin a little then I'm off, slipping it allows me to not spin but you need to be quick and smooth (I should point out I have the most god-awful tires any of you can imagine, so spinning isn't really a crazy thing considering the junk MT tires I have on this car).

I think the clutch pedal extension is helping me out a lot with this clutch though, I ended up adding that even though I'm 5'11, I feel like I am getting much better with it because I can sit at a much more comfortable position, and the extension helps a lot with the lower engagement of the Mcleod.

That Spec Super Twin sounds too intense for a daily driver, sounds like it's made for track only, I knew they were rough though, from what I was reading above you can't slip 'em so you can only kinda pop them I guess, can't imagine one in traffic, esp on a hill.

Last edited:

roy_1031

roy1031
Established Member
Any update op? Im having the same exact issues as you and it's super annoying. After hearing how great this clutch is, I'm very disappointed in it.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
I have the Mcleod RXT. I like the pedal feel and the holding power of the clutch. But I have the clutch chatter and I hate it. I will be changing it to the Centerforce DYAD when changing short blocks. I have heard nothing but good things about it.
http://www.centerforce.com/products/product-detail//id/CTF-04114805/name/dyad-ds-twin-disc-clutch

I also heard nothing but good things about the RXT, and when I read about complaints most of them are due to install/driver errors.
I have the RXT and from day one it was great, it did have some chatter but it gradually disappeared and learning how to best engage/disengage the RXT made it even smoother.

blueovalkid

The Snake Pit
Established Member
I also heard nothing but good things about the RXT, and when I read about complaints most of them are due to install/driver errors.
I have the RXT and from day one it was great, it did have some chatter but it gradually disappeared and learning how to best engage/disengage the RXT made it even smoother.

You dont have to look any farther than this thread to find people who arent happy with the RXT.
Some would like for us to believe that all twin disc clutches chatter and than its something we have to live with or change how we drive.
I find this hard to believe and will keep looking for a clutch that doesnt chatter.

Last edited:

JB_2010GT500

Established Member
I have the McLeod and it does chatter a bit sometimes. Has anyone tried the Quarter Master Optimum-SR twin disc? It's a pricey unit, but seems to be a quality piece.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
That Spec Super Twin sounds too intense for a daily driver, sounds like it's made for track only, I knew they were rough though, from what I was reading above you can't slip 'em so you can only kinda pop them I guess, can't imagine one in traffic, esp on a hill.

Yes, the SPEC Super Twin is most definitely too much to deal with for a daily driver and is realistically a track-only clutch. Don't let anybody try to convince you otherwise. Like I said before, once you're going, it's great. Just getting going in traffic is a nightmare. If you're in a race situation, provided you have traction, I don't think a Super Twin could be beat for gripping and sending power on back to the tires.

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
You dont have to look any farther than this thread to find people who arent happy with the RXT.
Some would like for us to believe that all twin disc clutches chatter and than its something we have to live with or change how we drive.
I find this hard to believe and will keep looking for a clutch that doesnt chatter.

I hope you find the perfect clutch you're looking for, and if you do please tell us because I'd like to have one too, but for now I have the RXT. There is more than one thread about this topic, and I thought I'd share my experience.
The RXT didn't drive like stock but then again the stock one didn't drive like my miata, so it might've been the RXT in there from the beginning and it wouldn't have made a difference, I would still need to learn to drive it.

What I don't like about these type of threads is when the blame is assigned to the product when its actually a fault with the user, and changing the way you drive when installing a new clutch is like changing the way you drive because you got a truck. You wouldn't drive a truck like you drive a GT500 would you.

black99lightnin

move along
Established Member
You wouldn't drive a truck like you drive a GT500 would you.

I drive my L like I do my GT500, it's just a tad slower.

I don't want to be stuck with a clutch that I hate so it sounds like RXT and Spec or out for me. Waiting for someone to try the Centerforce. As of now my stocker is holding up, and that is what I'd be after. Stock driveability.

PrestonJ

Established Member
For what it's worth I have had the McLeod RXT for quite a while now (roughly a year) and I have not experienced this issue at all. I don't notice any chatter whatsoever and have no problems launching the car normally. I did replace my flywheel and upgraded my clutch line to a stainless steel one (the factory one is plastic IIRC).

Imatk

Established Member
I don't have the McLeod clutch on my Shelby, but I do have one on my '91 Mustang so I don't know how it performs for the Shelby.

For the '91 it definitely is quite a bit noiser than the stock clutch. It also is more particular with engagement. So I have to actually be in an upper RPM range to shift gears with the McLeod wheras with the stock clutch it was much more forgiving.

That being said I'd probably get the McLeod again just becuase it is an excellent clutch, and I'm hoping it will last much longer than the stock unit... time will tell. If it does I'll be purchasing it again for my '91.

I still have the '13/'14 clutch in my Shelby and love it... but I only have the original FRPP TVS on the car so I'm well under what the clutch is rated for.

Users who are viewing this thread