Is this a real 2003 Saleen Cobra? (56k no way)

stevenscamaross

SVT Pimp
Established Member
A friend is looking to buy this. We did a carfax on it and it came back with 27,000 miles even though the car is supposed to have 2,700 miles. An older guy owns this car and said there was a mix up with carfax they put the decimal point in the wrong place.. :dw:

When my friend talked to him, the guy really didn't sound like he knows what he has.. Any help is appreciated.

BTW.. the snake on the inside of the hood is a decal :xpl:

536s80l.jpg

53qj4ea.jpg

6gmce4g.jpg

Last edited:

mpe331lx

Mine's stock too
Established Member
It should have the Saleen plate with its unit number in the interior (shift bezel, I think)

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
They did make them but cant tell if thats one of them. Should have a couple of data plates, 1 inside the car and 1 in the engine area.
You can always call Saleen to find out by his VIN.

Last edited:

HandoZiZle

WHIPPLE INSIDE
Established Member
very confused here, so its a saleen witha cobra engine or a cobra with a saleen body kit?? you should jsut check the interior.kinda weird but the car looks good though .looks like the guy had an aftermarket TB also

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
It starts life as an SVT Cobra to which Saleen adds everything else to it which really amounts to the body kit and wheels.

juiced414

Established Member
Looks real to me. It has the plate in the engine compartment. I would call saleen. They will even tell u what exactly was done to the car but them.

TurboV3nomVa

Established Member
Since I used to own one of the 11 Saleen Cobras made in 2003, I know a little. I can tell you that they came with a 3 piece spoiler and thats a 1 piece. They didnt come with that hood either. There should be a serial number on the plaques. One plaque is on the firewall and one by the shifter. They should have the production date and serial number. That number should also be painted on the front bumper. If all that matches then it should be real. I cant see how someone would forge those plaques altho Im sure its not hard to do. Call Mark at performanceautosport.com with the VIN number to be sure. I think there was either one or two white coupes made that year .

CobraMac

Established Member
That is NOT a saleen cobra. You can easily tell just by looking at the placement of the cobra on the front fender. It is wayyy too far forward. That is the first way you can totally tell its not a real saleen cobra.

03ZYTERMINATOR

Established Member
The spoiler isn't correct. The windshield banner isn't correct.Saleen Cobras came with the stock Cobra hood. That's not even a Saleen hood.The Saleen Hoods were heat extracter hoods. Not Cowl. Check inside the glove box also, ther should be a Saleen data sticker. If there were 11 Saleen Cobras made then why does the front bumper have the number 13? Saleen serial #'s are read as folllows. First 2 numbers will be the year. Then a dash and the build #. For example my Saleen was 02-401. It was an 2002 SC281 and it's build # was 401. Also the Saleen Cobras did not come with the Saleen emblem under the Cobra. It came with just the Cobra. If the car has 2700 miles on it it shoud have all the Documents. True Saleens have a Saleen window sticker and not a Ford window sticker. Saleen is consider a manufacturer. In the end if your still not sure just call Saleen.

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
mblgjr said:
The only straight way to know is get the VIN and call Saleen.

+ 1

this is the only 100% way to know for sure

03ZYTERMINATOR said:
If there were 11 Saleen Cobras made then why does the front bumper have the number 13? Saleen serial #'s are read as folllows. First 2 numbers will be the year. Then a dash and the build #. For example my Saleen was 02-401. It was an 2002 SC281 and it's build # was 401.

they skip #'s all the time so # 13 is possible. Also the # on the front bumper does not have the year included. This is what it should look like, this is a pic of my XP8 98-016
341380_4_full.jpg

Tommy98016

Heavy Ass Vert
Established Member
juiced414 said:
It has the plate in the engine compartment.

just so you know that means nothing, they sell those on ebay all the time. People are getting very good at passing off Faleens as real

Mike H

I Took My Own Avatar Pic
Established Member
FYI, dug this out of the archives:

03-04 Saleen Cobra Production Totals

6 coupes - 2 Redfire, 2 Black, 1 White, 1 Rainbow
5 convertibles - 1 Satin Silver, 1 Sonic Blue, 1 Black, 1 Zinc Yellow, 1 Lizstick Red (Saleen Custom Color)

8 coupes - 3 Black, 2 Mystichrome, 1 White, 1 Redfire, 1 Competition Orange
10 convertibles - 4 Screaming Yellows, 2 Black, 1 White, 1 Torch Red, 1 Silver Metallic, 1 Mystichrome

If it's the real deal, it's one of one.

Users who are viewing this thread