Is there value in buying a 2012 Shelby?

plumbcrazy

Established Member
So I know this is a '13-'14 forum but my question is intentionally posted here, because I'm asking for opinions from folks who own the more expensive '13's and '14's.
Down the road, do you guys think those cars will outpace the '12's by a lot?
I'm thinking of adding a Shelby vert to reside next to my SB terminator vert (or maybe replacing it).
May seem like an obvious answer, but I'm wondering if the $15k or so difference now will be $30k difference in 10years.
Things I ponder...... Thanks for your input....

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Personal opinion only, I don’t see 11/12 outpacing and /or near 13/14s as a whole. One off examples though will be plenty under the right conditions (stock, low mileage, all the paperwork, color, just to name a few things). Taking current pricing 07-10 | 11-12 | 13-14, 3 brackets of pricing and the 07-10 are closer in price to 11-12 than 11-12 are to 13-14. While I see pricing tilting south I see it taking them all down accordingly. The 13/14 will remain the cream of the crop for the s197 platform. Again just 1 persons take. :)

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Simple answer. Yes.
$10k difference now will be more than that in 10yrs.
But for a convertible, it’s not really a performance discussion to me (they both will sound good and be fun on the street). However if you want to do performance mods more than exhaust and pulley, you’ll be money ahead by getting the ‘13-14.
If you really want an ‘11-14 GT500 convertible I’d focus on finding the nicest car. I think either will hold there value well.
Good luck.
-J

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Would you rather have an 01 Cobra or your Terminator? Same comparison. Both are great in their own regard, but there is a significant difference.

Tom
It's funny you put it that way -"would you rather have an 01 Cobra or your Terminator?"
That's exactly the comparison I thought of after i posted this.
Kind of answers the question by itself.
I came upon a local Shelby Club parking lot gathering one Saturday a couple of years ago and parked away from it.
People were still walking over to my car and taking pictures.... I really didn't want to keep two cars but now I think i HAVE to....lol.
Now I'm hoping the market pulls back a bit...
Thanks for everyone's input.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
I will lead with this.

There isn’t anything wrong with the 11-12. Still fun, good to mod and look and sound great. However, the 13-14 took it to another level in terms of performance and relevance. 10-20 years from now the gap in $$$ and desirability for a 13-14 will be much higher then a 11-12. In fact, i could see the 07-09 over taking the 11-12 eventually over visual preference. I actually really like the OG 07-09’s. I think they are a good bargain right now. Its pretty easy to find low mile, stock and low owner 07-09’s for low to mid 30’s. I always wanted a vapor 08.

OP, i would definitely try and lock down a 13-14.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
So true, @RockChalk. Owning a GT-500 of any year is special.

There will always be Generation preferences which will affect the used GT-500 market. IMO the '13-'14 will remain highly desired much like the '03-'04 Cobra. Those who have one should think twice (no, three times) before selling.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
@plumbcrazy i hate to say this (because I’d love to upgrade Shelby to a 13/14) but I don’t see the prices going back to what they were a few years ago. Especially with ice being pushed forward. I do think if you’re patient you can find a good deal as I think they curve will tilt Down with unleaded 87 gas prices exceeding Over 4.00/gal. I feel that going to a hurt on some whom might have overspent to begin with within the last year. Atlas but life’s too short to spending a tad more to get exactly what you want either. You’ll have an easier time getting a convertible than a couple especially a 11/12 if you choose too. Flip side Vert 13/14 seem to be as much as if not more than their coupe version.

plumbcrazy

Established Member
So true, @RockChalk. Owning a GT-500 of any year is special.

There will always be Generation preferences which will affect the used GT-500 market. IMO the '13-'14 will remain highly desired much like the '03-'04 Cobra. Those who have one should think twice (no, three times) before selling.
This is exactly why I don’t want to sell my Cobra because even with 90,000 miles on it, it has always been very well-kept and nice sonic blue convertibles don’t come by the way that often. Now that a nice low mileage one if available is probably approaching $40,000 I think 50 to 60 is probably a good investment on a ‘13-14 Shelby .
I like to drive my car but don’t want to rack up too many more miles on it at this point so getting a decent low mileage Shelby at least I could enjoy for a while. I love looking at it but I also love having it on the road.
Disconnecting the odometer is something I’ve suspected on a lot of cars I’ve looked when I was looking for my Cobra ( I think we’ve all seen it) but it’s actually something I would never do. Aside from being illegal it’s just a crappy thing to do - not honest. I really appreciate everybody’s input like I said.It means a lot.

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Seems like green apples to red apples to me. 07-12 are inferior in every way that the 13-14, as indicated by the significant price difference.

Depends on who is buying the car. To a purist who will never modify, I might agree with you.

To anyone else, nope.

Turbo98GT

Mod Motor Mustangs
Established Member
Depends on who is buying the car. To a purist who will never modify, I might agree with you.

To anyone else, nope.
Everyone, purist or recreational buyer, everyone prefers the 13/14 over the others. Again, look at the demand. Better looks, better interior, better out of the box blower, better starting platform, better, better better. Even 10-12 owners upgrade their cars to look like 13/14s. If you are poorer, the 10-12s are suitable and you can spend money to upgrade them to be just as good as the 13/14 but that won't net a better resale value. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
Personal opinion again but I wouldn’t bet against the 2010 (the bridge) as least desirable. Yes sorta the good look ish but not completely, old iron block, no wideband monitoring. Probably followed by the 2007 just due to the inferior crank pulley that got fixed in 2008. Overall the 2011/12 are close to the 08-10 than they are to 13/14 excluding wideband monitoring, knock sensors, probably missing something else and a 10x better interior in terms of performance out of the box. I can’t count the clutch as there’s a lot of person choice in that department. But the 07-09 does make up a lot though in the looks department. And you can’t place a price on that :)

plumbcrazy

Established Member
Everyone, purist or recreational buyer, everyone prefers the 13/14 over the others. Again, look at the demand. Better looks, better interior, better out of the box blower, better starting platform, better, better better. Even 10-12 owners upgrade their cars to look like 13/14s. If you are poorer, the 10-12s are suitable and you can spend money to upgrade them to be just as good as the 13/14 but that won't net a better resale value. Lipstick on a pig is still a pig.
Lol, that seems kind of harsh. True, but harsh. Here’s the kind of buyer I am. I’m almost 60 years old. I probably look at the car as another bank account as much as anything. I’ve never gone over 4500 RPMs with my terminator or over 90 miles an hour. As far as a Shelby goes, I want a convertible but I think I’m looking for a base model. Also, I know they’re popular but I don’t like the Recaros. Not a fan of the performance pack wheels either but if the right car had them of course I would buy it. As far as modifications go, I wouldn’t do anything. So what kind of buyer does that make me? Please be nice guys.

sonicx

Shredder N Cheddar
Established Member
@plumbcrazy your quest can be all wrapped up with this: buy the lowest mileage | all stock | as much paperwork | least amount of owners | get your color of choice | at the most your pocket book allows Shelby /end. Don’t look back nor get wrapped up in a 11/12 vs 13/14 debate.

Users who are viewing this thread