Is there a trick to getting pads and rotors that fit this truck?

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Bought some Duralast rotors and pads from Autozone and the Duralast rotor rubs the bracket. I can get it on, but only with the bearing loose as hell! Then when you properly tighten the bearing it rubs or wont even go on. Then I tried the new Duralast pads on the stock rotors but those pads are so thick and the stock rotors are thicker/wider than the Duralast so that combo didn't work. Now I've had the pads and rotors apart twice just to have to put all the stock stuff back on to get back to the autoparts store tomorrow. Left front inner pad is grinding metal-to-metal - not good! Now I'm worried about another brand pads/rotors fitting/working.

Can someone give me some definite part numbers that work with the stock calipers and brackets? Napa...OEM...etc... Need it tomorrow, would love to pick up OEM if I can find a dealer with it in stock. To help them (Autozone had a terrible time trying to find the correct part with the limited production Lightning/crossover from Heritage body style to the new one in 04.... Heck, when you select 04L S/C at Autozone they don't even show a 5 lug rotor! You have to select 03 which is funny becuase the 03/04 L's are incidental part-per-part! I never went through so much BS doing brakes on a vehicle before! Are they really superduty or F250 brakes?

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
Your issue is caused by going to Autozone. The parts you got are not for your truck, they screwed up looking them up or got the wrong stuff off the shelf.

I'm not sure what your parts options are up there, but here my first choice is Main Auto Parts, then NAPA, then heaven forbid I'll go to AZ or O'Reilly. For the L I would go to the dealer. The best stock style brakes I ever had on my truck were the stock ones, everything else was a step backwards.

emig5m

Hear it WHINE!
Established Member
Your issue is caused by going to Autozone. The parts you got are not for your truck, they screwed up looking them up or got the wrong stuff off the shelf.

I'm not sure what your parts options are up there, but here my first choice is Main Auto Parts, then NAPA, then heaven forbid I'll go to AZ or O'Reilly. For the L I would go to the dealer. The best stock style brakes I ever had on my truck were the stock ones, everything else was a step backwards.

It's crazy but the Ford dealer even had a hard time trying to figure out the 04'L. And believe it or not, I called JDM and they even gave me the wrong part number! The one they gave me was six lug, LOL! Good lord! Autozone for a 04 L was also six lug but mysteriously the 03 had the correct amount of lugs even though the 03/04L are part by part identical vehicles.

I had to get brakes today, I'd take whatever brand would actually work. Napa for a 03 L was the ticket (they also had problems with looking up for the 04 model). Un-****ing-believable! Can't really hag on Autozone because they only gave me what their computer told them to get (I verified the part number online here at home and they where correct in that regard). Maybe the Duralast rotors need to be used with the Duralast calipers or brackets? It looks nearly incidental, but no dice with rubbing the bracket.

I was shocked even JDM couldn't give me the correct part number! WOW! Another funny thing is Autozone couldn't even cross reference anything with the Napa part number to the ones that actually work, heh. Brake pads are Wagner, don't recall the rotors, made in china crap, but oh well, needed something TODAY! Braking power seems identical to stock, hopefully brake dust wont be an issue. Actually worried about the made in chine rotors warping.

Last edited:

oilwell1415

Established Member
The reason it's coming up 6 lug is because they are looking up the new body style in stead of the heritage and either they or their computer or both are not smart enough to differentiate between the two. I went and looked at their website and it lists the C600/601 calipers twice each in the listing. On one listing it says it is for the L, the other says except L.

Glad you got it fixed and I hope you can find a parts dealer that knows what's going on.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
Always tell parts guys that your truck is an 03, it just makes things easier.

I learned that REAL quick, Ive been telling parts houses its an 03 for so long I damn near convinced myself it really was an 03

C5aig

Established Member
I'm in the same boat.... been messing with the damned brakes for 4 hours now and finally came in here to check part numbers.

I also got the Duralast brake rotors, thinking the blanks would be just fine. I got the part number 54092 which has a thickness total (end of studs to back of rotor) of 97.1mm.....

I just randomly check part number 54091 and it looks like the spacing is more correct and the total thickness more appropriate of 102.99, since most of that increased thickess comes behind the rotor to provide the necessary gap to the dust cover.

I'm headed back outside now to take everything back apart and put back on my stock pads/rotors. :fm:

I do not know is the 54091 rotors will work, yet, but will post back if and when I find out... it's pretty clear the 54092 will NOT work for lightnings.

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
When you go to the dealer always bring your VIN number with you it just makes things easier.

When you go to a parts store always tell them it's an ohthree it just makes things easier.

I will list Ford Part Numbers for brakes for everyone to look for:

Motorcraft: Front Rotors & Hubs: BRR 102
Front Pads: BR 49
Rear Rotors: BRR 67
Rear Pads: BR 3

Ford offers a lifetime warranty on Motorcraft Pads & Shoes. As long as it is just normal wear and tear on the pads Ford will replace them free of charge. If it's something like the caliper seized, Ford will not replace them free. If you get them installed at the dealer, installation is free as well.

Ford (OEM): Front Rotors & Hubs: YL3Z 1102 AB
Front Pads: F75Z 2001 AA
Rear Rotors: YL3Z 2C026 AA
Rear Pads: XL3Z 2200 AA

C5aig

Established Member
From all the information I've found (which is not much) the 54091 rotors will also not work.... even when mine is an '03. Supposedly the 54092 rotors will fit an '02 though.

I'm ordering Rotor Pros today and just stop worrying about tracking it down.

Thanks for the part numbers and info Canadian Bacon. Will be useful

Users who are viewing this thread