Is the JLT high boost intake worth it?

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
So i have this high boost cold air(purchased with a blower and SCT maf at the same time as a package deal). My tuner completely hates all cold airs. Says they are a gimmick. Just a sales thing. The guy i got the intake from swore by it. Said he picked up a shit ton of hp with it over a ram air. He said he picked up big numbers taking timing OUT and re writing the afr with this intake. 567 whp up to 606 whp with just a cleaner tune and this intake. Even wilder are the torque gains..499 wtq to 544 wtq!

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxgY4ZYyM_M

This is the intake/maf and blower i purchased in the video.

So what gives? Are ram airs and cold airs equal with a great tune? Do i need to show my tuner this video? He's well respected in the mustang world here in the DC area. Built the Cobra/Mach 1 shoot out winner in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords a few years back. Holds fastest cobra records. LOTS of guys trust him. I do. The cars this guy has done are just wild. He said hes done other cold air dyno comparisons for customers in the past and one guy threw the cold air on the floor and stomped it after he lost power with the cold air. So now i ask for all of your humble opinions.

Thanks

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
In all seriousness I don't believe those claims with that much hp/tq increase with just a swap of a intake. Nearly 40 rwhp and 45 rwtq! That's nearly going from a stock upper pulley to a 2.75-2.80 upper hp numbers...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Ram airs tend to have better reading for the maf. Makes it easier to tune. Sometimes the fender cai cause drivable issues. I would go with what your tuner wants.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
In all seriousness I don't believe those claims with that much hp/tq increase with just a swap of a intake. Nearly 40 rwhp and 45 rwtq! That's nearly going from a stock upper pulley to a 2.75-2.80 upper hp numbers...

yup..my thoughts exactly..is this for real? lol

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
Ram airs tend to have better reading for the maf. Makes it easier to tune. Sometimes the fender cai cause drivable issues. I would go with what your tuner wants.

i definitely am. what im really looking for in this post are the people that run them and have more of these crazy number jumps with just and intake...

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
i definitely am. what im really looking for in this post are the people that run them and have more of these crazy number jumps with just and intake...

To be honest i have personally seen an experienced lose in HP/TQ in a fender Cai in the 03-04 cobras. I had a buddy that had a old jlt fender Cai that came with the car when he bought it. He then swapped to the steeda ram air intake an actually pick up 10hp an better driveablity. I dont have experience with the newer jlt high boost cai or have any close friends that have used it so i cant say if it will gain or not.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
It may be easier to tune the ram air filter kit but colder air to begin with in a fender well kit will almost always make more power. I would find a tuner that can tune a car without bitching about the intake kit. If he is good enough he can tune any setup. Sounds like he is afraid of bad drivability and wants the easiest setup possible to reduce his on shop time.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
While the RAI vs. CAI horsepower differences have been disputed for many years, as Keven said cooler air fed through a fender kit will almost always make more power. So yes, if you prefer a CAI then consider finding a tuner who won't complain.

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
Even the factory stock inlet with a filter change has proven to support big power. Thats whats on my car and it still manages over 710 wheel and 680tq. I can't imagine a swap would somehow miraculously net 50 for a 760/730 dyno lol

Bigggy

Established Member
Everybody forgot to say that the High boost does not have a 90mm ID where the MAF is so it's even harder to tune than the other CAI or RAI. The MAF table won't be good with this CAI, i know I own one. After installing it and asking my remote tuner to change my tune the car ran like shit, not even possible to go into boost (I did not had a AFR gauge at that time). I simply put back my old JLT RAI and put back my old tune. So I made some research right here on this forum and from the fact that the ID is bigger than 90mm the car will run leaner if using the MAF table that came with your MAF. Some said that they needed 30% fuel correction just to have something driveable.

Don't get me wrong, the High boost intake seems to be a great intake with a lot of potential but it should mentioned that the ID is not the same has a standard 90mm like must of the MAF.

I still have mine, I'm not sure what I want to do with it....FYI i tried it with a SCT BA2600.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
Yeah also dont forget as soon as you start moving the RAI is getting cool air that runs under the hood. I would agree its a bit of a gimmic. Back on my 347 95 GT i tested a C&L RAI the anderson powe pipe CAI and the RAI actually made 2 more hp. I have a K&N FIPK on my car and dont plan to change that out even if it was actually worth 50-10rwhp.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Everybody forgot to say that the High boost does not have a 90mm ID where the MAF is so it's even harder to tune than the other CAI or RAI. The MAF table won't be good with this CAI, i know I own one. After installing it and asking my remote tuner to change my tune the car ran like shit, not even possible to go into boost (I did not had a AFR gauge at that time). I simply put back my old JLT RAI and put back my old tune. So I made some research right here on this forum and from the fact that the ID is bigger than 90mm the car will run leaner if using the MAF table that came with your MAF. Some said that they needed 30% fuel correction just to have something driveable.

Don't get me wrong, the High boost intake seems to be a great intake with a lot of potential but it should mentioned that the ID is not the same has a standard 90mm like must of the MAF.

I still have mine, I'm not sure what I want to do with it....FYI i tried it with a SCT BA2600.

I didn't realize that tuning these cars with a HB intake and ba2600 maf was such a hard thing to do until reading more posts on here. My tuner never mentioned anything about it.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
My tuner suggested the JLT Next Gen or whatever you call it, high boost, and I love my tune, runs perfectly.

I will say that my other guy does not like them.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I didn't realize that tuning these cars with a HB intake and ba2600 maf was such a hard thing to do until reading more posts on here. My tuner never mentioned anything about it.
Its supposed to be a pita, thats why I went with the VMP 100mm MAF conversion on the end of the true cold air. Its almost 4" the entire way with this setup and easy enough that I can tune it lol.

b_dike

Established Member
Yeah also dont forget as soon as you start moving the RAI is getting cool air that runs under the hood. I would agree its a bit of a gimmic. Back on my 347 95 GT i tested a C&L RAI the anderson powe pipe CAI and the RAI actually made 2 more hp. I have a K&N FIPK on my car and dont plan to change that out even if it was actually worth 50-10rwhp.

When you did this comparison was the hood open?

itzl0l

Angry Bald Man
Established Member
When the High Boost 1st came out there were alot of back to back tests that showed good gains.... NO idea if those were ever independently substantiated or not. I tune myself and have the highboost...it was more difficult than a ram air, but not crazy hard. ANY tuner worth his salt should be able to make a decent airmodel for it.

on the flip side all of the shelby's use underhood filters....once youre moving I dont think it makes any difference. The only benefit I can think of is under normal hot stop and go driving maybe, just maybe the CAI will help keep the intercooler fluid from getting heat soaked as quickly....other than that I like how my high boost looks haha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread