Is the JLT high boost intake worth it?

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
When you did this comparison was the hood open?

Yes the hood was open on the dyno.

When the High Boost 1st came out there were alot of back to back tests that showed good gains.... NO idea if those were ever independently substantiated or not. I tune myself and have the highboost...it was more difficult than a ram air, but not crazy hard. ANY tuner worth his salt should be able to make a decent airmodel for it.

on the flip side all of the shelby's use underhood filters....once youre moving I dont think it makes any difference. The only benefit I can think of is under normal hot stop and go driving maybe, just maybe the CAI will help keep the intercooler fluid from getting heat soaked as quickly....other than that I like how my high boost looks haha.

Exactly with my 95 and with my current cobra i monitor my IATs pretty closely. As soon as your moving you will see them drop down to ambient or near ambient very quickly.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
It may be easier to tune the ram air filter kit but colder air to begin with in a fender well kit will almost always make more power. I would find a tuner that can tune a car without bitching about the intake kit. If he is good enough he can tune any setup. Sounds like he is afraid of bad drivability and wants the easiest setup possible to reduce his on shop time.

i see that your local..where did you have your cars tuned? or did you do it yourself(i also see your a ford tech)?

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
While the RAI vs. CAI horsepower differences have been disputed for many years, as Keven said cooler air fed through a fender kit will almost always make more power. So yes, if you prefer a CAI then consider finding a tuner who won't complain.

he said he does whatever the customer wants him to do every time but he guarantees better numbers with the ram

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
Everybody forgot to say that the High boost does not have a 90mm ID where the MAF is so it's even harder to tune than the other CAI or RAI. The MAF table won't be good with this CAI, i know I own one. After installing it and asking my remote tuner to change my tune the car ran like shit, not even possible to go into boost (I did not had a AFR gauge at that time). I simply put back my old JLT RAI and put back my old tune. So I made some research right here on this forum and from the fact that the ID is bigger than 90mm the car will run leaner if using the MAF table that came with your MAF. Some said that they needed 30% fuel correction just to have something driveable.

Don't get me wrong, the High boost intake seems to be a great intake with a lot of potential but it should mentioned that the ID is not the same has a standard 90mm like must of the MAF.

I still have mine, I'm not sure what I want to do with it....FYI i tried it with a SCT BA2600.

i have an SCT BA3000. will that make a positive difference?

Bigggy

Established Member
i have an SCT BA3000. will that make a positive difference?

Not really because it's still a 90mm MAF.

Like said in this post, it's not impossible to tune, a good tuner will eventually have a correct MAF table and will work from there. It's simply a small detail that can have a big impact on the car and there is no mention of that other than you need a SCT MAF because an OEM won't fit in the CAI.

WheelStander

Ford Plastics Engineer
Established Member
Cool cool...I see you're close...you going to Cars and Coffee in Uptown Charlotte Saturday?

And there's the Carolina Stangs/PepBoys Poker run to all the Pep Boys starting at 10am fyr.

Pm d back...not sure if it went through from tapatalk.

Last edited:

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
Not really because it's still a 90mm MAF.

Like said in this post, it's not impossible to tune, a good tuner will eventually have a correct MAF table and will work from there. It's simply a small detail that can have a big impact on the car and there is no mention of that other than you need a SCT MAF because an OEM won't fit in the CAI.

i thought the high boost was 105mm. are you saying the tuner has to change the programming of the ba3000 from 90m settings to 105mm settings? keep in mind i know nothing about tuning. i'm a pushrod guy. this is only my 2nd mod motor. in a perfect world, we'd still be running stroker motors with double pumpers and nitrous if it were up to me lol

Bigggy

Established Member
i thought the high boost was 105mm. are you saying the tuner has to change the programming of the ba3000 from 90m settings to 105mm settings? keep in mind i know nothing about tuning. i'm a pushrod guy. this is only my 2nd mod motor. in a perfect world, we'd still be running stroker motors with double pumpers and nitrous if it were up to me lol

The programming is in the PCM. The tuner can't simply use the table from SCT directly that's all, he has the change de table in order to take the bigger tube into account. A good tuner can do that no problem, you simply need to ask him if he is comfortable with that or at least know about that.

Tractionless1

Established Member
While the RAI vs. CAI horsepower differences have been disputed for many years, as Keven said cooler air fed through a fender kit will almost always make more power. So yes, if you prefer a CAI then consider finding a tuner who won't complain.

+1, I have a 90 into the fender, the OE MAF (Mafia) after, and C&L metal tube to TB. Never a single complaint from my very well regarded tuner and the car drives like stock.

It's made of different material and stays cooler supposedly.

Doesn't matter anyway the air velocity is so high there's not time to heat it up. My IAT1 mounted in a metal C&L intake tube reads same as ambient.

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
The programming is in the PCM. The tuner can't simply use the table from SCT directly that's all, he has the change de table in order to take the bigger tube into account. A good tuner can do that no problem, you simply need to ask him if he is comfortable with that or at least know about that.

i will ask him that. i have to agree with you. i like the looks of the high boost intake too. big tube strait to the fender suits me

yayyayjr

Established Member
I currently have a BBK CAI and I'm making 650 rwhp along with a KB pushing 19.5 lb.. I have the JLT next-gen CAI ready to go. If I remember I will post updates on outcome.

MBoyle1

redfire
Established Member
^haha I had the dense charger back in the day! Tuner dident like it & got tired taking apart my fender well to clean air filter! In for new info on the high boost!!!! May try it again.....

ben_gone

Jigsaw
Established Member
^haha I had the dense charger back in the day! Tuner didn't like it & got tired taking apart my fender well to clean air filter! In for new info on the high boost!!!! May try it again.....

i have a very similar setup as you(kb 2.6, frpp 60lb injectors, ba3000, head cooling mod)..i'm starting to see that LOTS of tuners don't like cold airs simply for how hard they are to tune. i would love to see your numbers after the jlt high boost.if you go from 638 to 670 from just a cold air, i'm gonna shit a chicken. just need more positive stories with this thing

cj428mach

Established Member
got tired taking apart my fender well to clean air filter!

LOL don't you only have like 6,000 miles on your car you probably wouldn't have needed to even clean the thing once yet. Thats one reason why I don't worry about the placement of mine in the fender, is with my car hitting a 1000 miles a year I won't need to clean it very often.

Users who are viewing this thread