Is the GT500 already under development?

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
If its easier to boost a crossplane crank then by all means go with the already engineered Trinity long block.

Just release the darn thing already! :)

Lemers

Established Member
My guess is bump the coyote up to 5.2 or 5.4 and Super charge it.

The turbos are being used as gas saving features. I don't see a GT500 with a turbo 4 or 6. (I hope y'all are right , but a tt v8 may be very expensive)

Can't just Super charge a 5.0 cause that's what all the other tuners are doing to the GT.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
We forget there's probably a surplus of 6.2l laying around, and we know what those are capable of. I do recall someone saying there was a rumor of a new big block in development that was stated by one of the race teams building the Mustang racecars.

specizripn

Established Member
We forget there's probably a surplus of 6.2l laying around, and we know what those are capable of. I do recall someone saying there was a rumor of a new big block in development that was stated by one of the race teams building the Mustang racecars.

The Raptor motors are really heavy. Even if they re-cast the block in aluminum i think it would still make the car a pig.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Why wouldn't they just use the exact same set up that's in the 13-14's. Put a 2.4 pulley on it and a more aggressive tune from the factory claim 725hp and shave a couple hundred pounds off it. Seems like it would be pretty simple.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
Seriously its not that hard.

They already make the aluminator. Throw on billet oil pump gears, turbos at 8 psi and it will go all day. It would make for a cheap gt500 and all the aftermarket mods would work well. Give them time to work on something killer for 2020

rotor_powerd

Established Member
Premium Member
Seriously its not that hard.

They already make the aluminator. Throw on billet oil pump gears, turbos at 8 psi and it will go all day. It would make for a cheap gt500 and all the aftermarket mods would work well. Give them time to work on something killer for 2020

Designing a turbo system at the OEM level, especially on their top performance model, certainly does not fall under "Not that hard."

BRNG ITT

Established Member
Perhaps the TT Cobra Jet never went into production because the protoype only served as twin turbo R&D for the next gen GT500. If only.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
With as hard as Ford is pushing ecoboost "not that hard" wouldnt be the term Id use per say. However Id be shocked if they went with a blower instead of turbos. The basic R&D for boosted performance V8s are there. Boosting a 5.4 or 5.8 engine and tuning its performance is something they've done, just not with turbos. Engineering production OEM grade pluming for intercoolers, manifolds and such would be the challenge to get it to fit in the S550 chassis.

They can do it and with money already invested in turbo production for the other Ecoboost engines, sourcing turbos for a GT500 shouldnt be difficult.

TurboBird

Boost Junkie
Established Member
With as hard as Ford is pushing ecoboost "not that hard" wouldnt be the term Id use per say. However Id be shocked if they went with a blower instead of turbos. The basic R&D for boosted performance V8s are there. Boosting a 5.4 or 5.8 engine and tuning its performance is something they've done, just not with turbos. Engineering production OEM grade plumbing for intercoolers, manifolds and such would be the challenge to get it to fit in the S550 chassis.

They can do it and with money already invested in turbo production for the other Ecoboost engines, sourcing turbos for a GT500 shouldn't be difficult.

I remove my "not that hard" comment and agree with this guy. Still however. They have the equipment to do it out of their parts bin. I'd be shocked if they dont go the twin turbo. Or they are holding back because they have a long R&D already on a ecoboost V8.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator

Aftrbrnr

Established Member

That's basically the way I feel, they would have done a GT500 for the S550 if they wanted to instead of the GT350, I think the new plan at the moment is to go for overall balanced performance as opposed to primarily straight-line. That doesn't mean there won't ever be a GT500 (or spiritual successor) again, but not for the near future. I don't know if some members on SVT Performance are right, but the new "horsepower wars" might be over for now, I wonder if the media reviews for how there was more favor for the better handling but slightly slower ZL1 over the GT500 has anything to do with this.

As for the Ford 6.2L, I recall when the engine was in development it was eventually slated to be in the Mustang but the decision was reversed some where down the line

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
... I wonder if the media reviews for how there was more favor for the better handling but slightly slower ZL1 over the GT500 has anything to do with this.

Or it could be that Ford woke up and realized there was no point in continuing to pump big HP into Mustangs that can't even use it proficiently. Traction has always been a hit-or-miss affair with the GT500, and it is more misses than hits. The interwebs are riddled with videos of big HP GT500s getting their asses handed to them by cars with over 100HP less. Hopefully Ford really has figured out that throwing more HP at the Mustang does nothing, especially in the hands of bad drivers. The GT500 has been a musclebound brute in the classic sense; so much power, yet can "barely" move itself when that power is applied.

I'm talking a purely stock GT500. Yes, they can be made to dance with a lot of aftermarket suspension bits, the right tires and a lot of weight reduction. But that costs a LOT of money to do.

Last edited:

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
Or it could be that Ford woke up and realized there was no point in continuing to pump big HP into Mustangs that can't even use it proficiently.

This.

I think it got to the point where Ford had gone as far as they wanted to go. They knew somebody else would come along and I think they were absolutely fine with that. They achieved their objectives at the time and moved on. Why jump back into the race now just to chase a number - for what? A more balanced approach (handling and good power) serves them far better.

hockeylover86

Established Member
Probably no GT500 in development yet, most likely a several year break to build interest in the top-tier model.

My guess is they will watch the market, and the new Camaro debut to measure interest in the high HP arena.

I think it will be back, they have had the pony HP crown since 03, even when their direct competitor ceased to exist for 6 years.

Users who are viewing this thread