Is the 03-04 Cobra the Beast it was 7-10+ Years Ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
Mk4 2jzgte’s let go at 700whp and those came in $60k cars in 1998 dollars.

2JZ swaps are popular because Toyota put that engine into EVERYTHING. Supra, SC300, GS300, IS300 state side. Then in Japan, it came in the Toyota Crown, their version a Fleet Crown Victoria making the engine as common as a 5.3L or 4.6.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
2JZ swaps are popular because Toyota put that engine into EVERYTHING. Supra, SC300, GS300, IS300 state side. Then in Japan, it came in the Toyota Crown, their version a Fleet Crown Victoria making the engine as common as a 5.3L or 4.6.

2jz swaps are very popular but honest gte’s are rare. The cars you just mentioned have the weaker internals. Think wap block 01-04 4.6 vs teksid 93-00.5 except it’s the internals, not the block itself that really separate a true mk4 Supra 2jz-gte from a naturally aspirated hypereutectic internal 2jz in an is300, gs300 etc etc etc.

The turbo placement, intake manifold, etc differ and can be indicators of fake gte claims. Basically a true gte is a 700-800whp mill where as an an 2jz is a 400-450whp mill.

03 Cobra DSG

Established Member
And terminators are still awesome.....however they are the not the beast they were 10yrs ago because they are even better now.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Do the terminator guys have a laminated facts sheet on why the termie is better than the current cars today?
You probably walk around the parking lot telling everyone how much better your cobra is. LOL
Blown 89 says:

No one said they are better. People said they like them better, equally or for varying reasons they won’t ditch them.

Do you get a big rush of testosterone calling an 03 cobra a termie? I think you do it because you expect to antagonize someone. What it actually shows is you are the fanboy you are trying to bash. Switch the cars and you end up as the guy rooting for x in a y convention. We are here in a terminator thread, and you drop in to say no because coyote.

If I was this fanboy you are making me out to be, would I be in a cobra thread talking up the engine family the car used or would I be in a coyote thread bashing those?

I’ve been in the gt350 threads recently. Those have coyote’s. I was defending the gt350 by showing videos that bolt on gt350’s can walk away from pullied cobra’s...

You are fake news. Go hug a liberal or a tree or a wrecked f150.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
And terminators are still awesome.....however they are the not the beast they were 10yrs ago because they are even better now.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

It’s kind of like the gnx. They were easy 12,second cars back then, and as time went on the became easy 11, 10, 9 and 8 second cars because the mill had potential and was cheap to rebuild.

The 03 cobra’s have tons of potential and it’s all been chronicaled to the nth degree.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
Only a retard would get an mt82 car and try to run big power. The coyote cars eat when it has an auto and FI.

Did he edit his post? Was gonna say who the **** buys an 18 GT with a garbage MT-82 if your drag racing. A-10 FTW!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
I wouldnt do a damn thing to a 2JZ-GE car except replace the head gasket when it pops #6 cylinder and sell it. The internals in the GE version were NOT forged like the GTE. They couldnt handle nearly the power a stock GTE could.

The 2JZ-GTE (Turbo) was also a very UNCOMMON engine here in the states. Comparing the 2JZ-GTE and the 2JZ-GE is like comparing the GT500 5.4 and the 2V 5.4 truck engine. Both are solid engines, but the 2V truck engine isnt living long on boost that a GT500 can handle.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wouldnt do a damn thing to a 2JZ-GE car except replace the head gasket when it pops #6 cylinder and sell it. The internals in the GE version were NOT forged like the GTE. They couldnt handle nearly the power a stock GTE could.

The 2JZ-GTE (Turbo) was also a very UNCOMMON engine here in the states. Comparing the 2JZ-GTE and the 2JZ-GE is like comparing the GT500 5.4 and the 2V 5.4 truck engine. Both are solid engines, but the 2V truck engine isnt living long on boost that a GT500 can handle.

Here is an example of a well versed gear head. Take note, he speaks truth, explains fact, and accurately paints the picture. 10, I say 10 internet kudos should be awarded to this member.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Did he edit his post? Was gonna say who the **** buys an 18 GT with a garbage MT-82 if your drag racing. A-10 FTW!

The 18+ mt-82 is a better unit with 1.0 4th, and more durability but a tr6060 it is not.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Even handled well in the snow. Drove mine through a colorado winter.

Suede interior was nice. Peppy little car, light weight for what it was.

One of the best winters I ever had was 05/6. I put blizzacks on my cobra. I learned that year that tire is 99% what matters if the driver is worth a damn.

I’ve had awd sedans that we’re garbage in the snow on all seasons, and learned you just buy what you like and have winter tires on winter wheels.

My next daily driver will be some kind of fr sports coupe. Winter tire, no fear

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
63C771A3-07FB-4E33-97AC-FED93CD23C84.jpeg

I always liked this marketing image.

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member

Here is an example of a well versed gear head. Take note, he speaks truth, explains fact, and accurately paints the picture. 10, I say 10 internet kudos should be awarded to this member.

Sadly you are both incredibly wrong.

The 2JZ N/A is just as strong as the 2JZ Turbo cars with one exception, the IS300. NA engines have the same rods and crank and the higher compression pistons are just as strong as the low compression ones. Oil pumps are different and the N/A engines don't have oil squirters for the pistons.

The late models VVTI N/A 2JZ found in the IS300 and some late model JDM Toyota's used lighter, less expensive rods and pistons. The same thing happened with the 1UZFE engines. Just like a SBF or LS1, this information is all over the web.

Comparison of the rods.
90629d1157265637-2jz-gte-vvt-i-swap-question-rods2.jpg

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Sadly you are both incredibly wrong.

The 2JZ N/A is just as strong as the 2JZ Turbo cars with one exception, the IS300. NA engines have the same rods and crank and the higher compression pistons are just as strong as the low compression ones. Oil pumps are different and the N/A engines don't have oil squirters for the pistons.

The late models VVTI N/A 2JZ found in the IS300 and some late model JDM Toyota's used lighter, less expensive rods and pistons. The same thing happened with the 1UZFE engines. Just like a SBF or LS1, this information is all over the web.

Comparison of the rods.
View attachment 1496349

You forgot the piston rings, head gasket, head design, intake and exhaust manifold. If you are going to boost a non is300 ge, you’ll spend upwards of $3-5k getting additional parts that are strong/well enough. If you replace piston rings, it’s fools change to skimp I’m buying a better rotating assembly when you have already pulled the mill and pistons out. Also why keep the crappier head if you can send it out for work or replace it with a better one.

The head gasket is also crucial as one holds much more boost than the other.

While the pistons themselves are arguably just as strong, the rings in boosted cars are, you guessed it, boost spaced. The na cars are you guessed it, na specced. The head gasket is not up to the task of 20-30psi on a ge car.

Those differences alone are why most domestic “2jz gte” builds fail. I haven’t watched it in years but I’d imagine the dudeinblue youtube vid where he discusses his blown up 2jz is likely directly from these type of failures. I’ll watch his vid today and chime back in.

By diving into the weeds here and bringing up the non is300 ge mills, it’s brings in the overly technical limits of 2jz discussion. A non is300 will live a decent life at 500-600whp then fail almost ridiculously about 2-5,000 miles in. Tune, gas, bla bla get blamed when it’s literally just non gte parts failing.

The piston rings are usually the culprit on a lower boost application, head gasket on higher boost.

The heads are also different in any ge car vs a gte car.

Lastly, when people blow up the stock non is300 ge mill in their build, they almost exclusively source the cheaper is300 mill to “replace” and sell the car. This leads to another world of hurt when someone buys a gs300 for example that is really running a crappy is300 mill because homeboy slice scammed out the eventual buyer...

Bottom line is a 2jz gte is great, but it’s risky business to pick up anything resembling a project car that could have been bought stock with a non is300 ge.

Last edited:

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
All very good points being brought up here for the most part. This thread is enlightening to me. It continues to be a great read. It is in some ways, a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge type of discussion.

Me being passionate about the Cobra just because of the memories when I first seen one, heard one, read about them, and finally got to ride in one. Then getting one in 2015 puts it all in perspective for me.

It IS still a beast in certain categories, but let's face it, I don't think anyone on here thought that the cars of today would be making the power that they do. I never would've in my wildest dreams thought Ford would put a twin turbo V6 in a crossover SUV and sell it as a family SUV. We have all grown so accustom to the horsepower of the cars today, so we expect much more than what the Cobra put down stock.

The one thing that my mind can't be changed on is the fact that the Cobra still turns heads and the majority who know anything about Mustangs still want to ride Co pilot in one at least once.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread