is SVTP running slow as crap lately?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
jugsreturn said:
Sid, if we donate can we get a @svtperformance email address? :D

Does the Salvation Army give you a bell when you donate to them? A donation to the site is just that, a donation. Expect nothing except the satisfaction of knowing you're helping out in return.

Thanks

i don't think the issue is related to server load. I work in IT myself and i have seen single servers host email via exchange, SQL server databases, active directory, file serve, print serve and host web sites. All from a dual 1Ghz P3 box w/ 4 gigs of ram running Windows server 2003 standard R2 w/ exchange 2003 enterprise, MS SQL server Enterprise.

If that box can do all that with 5 year old hardware, what the hell kind of hardware are you using that makes this site so slow....
I think you need to examine your database my friend to determine why it's response is so slow.

crazyj0n

Established Member
I have a fast connection, all other sites load instantly
its 8:48 and i bet alot of ppl are on , it took 5 minutes or so just to load the front page.
Could it be the 'powered by v bulliten' thing?
at other times it loads fine but mostly i think juts too many ppl are on at the same time

PensiveParoxysm

Established Member
Is there anything that we personally can do to remedy this issue, i'm guessing no if it is just a server thing.

fivepointno

Established Member
yes it is running slow at random times at that it got so slow at around 1 pm i couldnt use it and i have a high speed broadband connection

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Basically vB needs to get their act together and come up with more efficient software. Until then we throw more sever power at the problem and try to do some other hacks which seem to help. All of this is very expensive.

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
As an owner/operator of a vb message board the problem likely isn't the actual server but the limitations of the hosting company on how many concurrent SQL connections you can have. Everytime you load a page it hits the db for one or more queries, multiply that by a couple of hundred users and poof you can easily max out the SQL connection limit. Add in some modifcations and those queries can get worse but SID has it running pretty lean 'n' mean.

And while vB is probably the best software out there it doesn't allow for easy multiple database setups so SVTP cant split the db's up over different servers to spread out the load....or at least not easily.

Last edited:

Shoman594

Established Member
SID297 said:
We're working on a few new things and I just limited access for guests.

Just noticed that and I think it's a great idea. Now instead of just leaching they will actually sign up. The board’s member list will go up and I think it will help with the speed.

I have been a member here for a long time and love the board, but the thing is so busy that its slow at times and its hard to navigate. That is mostly the reason I have not posted much at all. I'll be back, and I think others will find their way back once the speed picks up.

Cheers! :beer:

wickedstangs

Established Member
vB

SID297 said:
Basically vB needs to get their act together and come up with more efficient software. Until then we throw more sever power at the problem and try to do some other hacks which seem to help. All of this is very expensive.

Sid I am running vB on mysite and new to the whole forum stuff.. Would upgrading from SVTP 3.5.4 to the new 3.6.7 PL1 help any?

TeddyKGB

Drunk on Power
Established Member
wickedstangs said:
Sid I am running vB on mysite and new to the whole forum stuff.. Would upgrading from SVTP 3.5.4 to the new 3.6.7 PL1 help any?

Not SID but I also run a VB site and to be honest there isn't thatmuch difference in the quer load between the two releases. Now the features you get in 3.6.x are well worth it.

stangd1909

GO NOLES
Established Member
SID297 said:
We're working on a few new things and I just limited access for guests.

I tried to look at SVTP as a guest but it wouldn't let me.When you look at who is on the forums it shows 356 members and 83 guest? If you have to have an account to view the SVTP website....who are the guests? Just one of those things that are driving me crazy for some reason LOL.

crazyj0n

Established Member
well, recently the site has been running much faster.
still a new vbulletin thing wouldn't hurt:beer:

Users who are viewing this thread