Is some detonation normal?

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
Is some detonation normal? New Ford OASIS update...

If I hold the rpm's @ 3500 during throttle tip in there is some knocking.
I use only Shell/ Chevron 93 octane fuel.
Keep in mind this car is parked in the garage more than she's driven.
I did add Seafoam in the tank when the car was parked for extended periods.

:shrug:

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
The stock tune on my 01 had a little pinging. Usually during a hotter part of the day and going up hill. I heard it happened because Ford got a little more aggressive with the tunes in 01 to make sure they didn't have the same problems as the 99's. There's no connector to pull on these cars. The 5.0's had the SPOUT connector that had to be pulled to set the timing. But that also locked out the computer advance.

cobraracer46

Banned
Ford released a technical service bulletin way back in 2002 for 2001 Cobra's that involved a re-flash of the PCM to eliminate the the detonation. It is possible that your low mileage Cobra never received this computer re-flash.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Ford released a technical service bulletin way back in 2002 for 2001 Cobra's that involved a re-flash of the PCM to eliminate the the detonation. It is possible that your low mileage Cobra never received this computer re-flash.

That is good to know because I have at least two friends with 01s and I know one has had detonation in the past and is already on a rebuilt engine.
Detonation is bad news, it can shatter pistons, crack rings and ring lands and pound out upper rod bearings, and that's just a few of the many bad things that can happen.

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member

I spoke with Tommy Vaughn Ford and they could not locate any TSB reflash
for the 01'

They said it could be a plug issue and recommend changing plugs
to NGK TR55's, a possible 02 going, or my 9 year old fuel pump.

I will say this, my cats reek from time to time. (Stock H pipe)
Not real bad, but enough to smell them on extended 4th gear runs at 60-65 mph.

Maybe I need to just drive the car more :shrug:

Serpentor

Rock Hard Member
Established Member

do you happen to have the TSB number? I just replaced my spark plugs to a colder range, and I'm still getting some pinging at 3000+ RPM

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Interesting...

We have owned our 01 since new and never received a notice of a TSB for a computer reflash.

I have been on here since 2003 and this is the first time I have heard of a factory reflash on the 2001s.

Cobraracer,

If you have more information on the TSB, please share.

-Kevin

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
TSB# 01-12-3 is for sohc 4.6... specifically Bullits unless the info online is wrong...

I figured it was too good to be true.

I called 5 dealers and none of them had any info.
Prolly better off taking it to Murillo Motorsports in SA, TX anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread