Is it worth porting my Eaton?

Mustang289

Established Member
I've got virtually a stock 04 term with CAI and MagnaFlow catback. I'm looking to increase the hp while retaining the stock eaton, with a goal of 500 rwhp. I've seen guys with 2.76 upper getting around 470 hp and 500 torque. Is it worth spending the money to get a Stage IV port? Don't think I can get to 500 rwhp without a port, but I'm scratching my head trying to figure out if the additional 15 rwhp is worth the cost.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Posi port and a Dragon TB/Plenum - you now have low to mid 500's.

540-550rwhp would require an aggressive tune and decent boost of course. 500-530rwhp without too much trouble for sure.

IMO porting your blower is only worth it if you aren't satisfied with the typical 455-475rwhp with a stock Eaton. If you must have 500+, then porting is the way to go. If you're looking for 540+ then skip the porting and go directly to a twin-screw. JMO. And be sure you plan for the supporting mods at this power level.

i8urSS

Established Member
port is always gonna be cheaper than a TS. if your never gonna go TS then i def say get the port. you'll easily eclipse 500 if thats your only goal. and realistically its not that bad of a price for a port these days. plus when you get tired of 500hp you'll have a great foundation for going compound.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
540-550rwhp would require an aggressive tune and decent boost of course. 500-530rwhp without too much trouble for sure.

IMO porting your blower is only worth it if you aren't satisfied with the typical 455-475rwhp with a stock Eaton. If you must have 500+, then porting is the way to go. If you're looking for 540+ then skip the porting and go directly to a twin-screw. JMO. And be sure you plan for the supporting mods at this power level.

Well said^

utfan98

Lack of Restraint
Established Member
For your current "wants", yes a port. 500 will become 550 which will become 600 which will become 650... LOL

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member

Well said^

He's been around a while.:rockon::lol1:

03 Indy Cobra

Established Member
I agree with CobraBob. If you are going to want more than 500 skip the port and just save for a twin screw and the supporting mods. That is what I did and I could not be more happy with the power the car makes. I even had a brand new Eaton that I had ported by Steig that never made it to my car that I sold because I wanted a Whipple so bad.

Last edited:

thomas91169

# of bans = 5203
Established Member
the great thing about porting is past the 500whp level you can start getting your support system in place (BAP, Injectors, MAF extender, tune, etc) with the ported blower and learning the car, and when that power level becomes not enough, you simply buy the twin-screw of choice, and sell off the ported blower to make a good portion of your money back. If you do it right you can usually have 0 downtime with the car (aside from time it takes during the blower swap).

most people need fuel/tuning past 500whp levels, or with most ported blower setups. Make sure to account for this in your budget.

Zeekmann

Established Member
I run a 2.8 upper only, is it worth it to port? How does the car feel after a port compaired? I am going TS just wondering on the guys that ported after they ran an upper for awhile.

Last edited:

TVSCobra

Established Member
I run a 2.8 upper only, is it worth it to port? How does the car feel after a port compaired? I am going TS just wondering on the guys that ported after they ran an upper for awhile.

Not sure but I really want a POSI port.:rockon:

BadBlue98GT

Established Member
the great thing about porting is past the 500whp level you can start getting your support system in place (BAP, Injectors, MAF extender, tune, etc) with the ported blower and learning the car, and when that power level becomes not enough, you simply buy the twin-screw of choice, and sell off the ported blower to make a good portion of your money back. If you do it right you can usually have 0 downtime with the car (aside from time it takes during the blower swap).

most people need fuel/tuning past 500whp levels, or with most ported blower setups. Make sure to account for this in your budget.

Words of wisdom...

SVTRocket

SVT Fan
Established Member
It's all relative to money, but yes, a port is worth the investment to many because you get 500 hp with stock driving manners and the factory fuel system is sufficient.

As others have pointed out, much above that and the fuel system must be upgraded, in addition to the expense of a ts.

mrose75

Established Member
500-525 HP/TQ to the wheels isn't a bad deal. If that'll satisfy you go for it. Especially f you throw a lower on it. I got my Steige Ported, just had a few things come up to where I can't drop the cash for supporting mods/tune right now. So, in the meanwhile I'm painting it.

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
Go with the POSI port and start getting the supporting mods. Later down the road when you want more power, just sell the ported Eaton and get the TS. Atleast by then you'll have all the supporting mods for it.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Going from a stock pulley to a 2.76 is a huge jump. Posi port with a 2.76 is going to put a smile on your face from ear to ear. Do it, great bang for you buck. Make sure to get the supporting mods installed as well.

Users who are viewing this thread