Is it totaled?

Joeysnk

Established Member
Well this happened today on my way to the gym... Any help or suggestions on how to handle this would be great. Sad day but everyone is ok... Trying to stay positive.

imagejpg1_zps4b5485e8.jpg

imagejpg2_zps8d6e1121.jpg

imagejpg4_zps124bfe90.jpg

Joeysnk

Established Member
An elderly lady tried to pull across the lanes to head east and I was heading west all I saw was the back if her head looking the other way. I was able to swerve but she kept coming and slammed into me. Spun me around 2 revolutions and was facing heading traffic .

F8L BYT

Established Member
I don't know. It all comes down to if the frame is bent. A friend of mine got hit like that and it looked similar to yours and then they got underneath and the frame was bent

MFE

Established Member
That car is probably totaled if repairs will cost more than $7-8k. I'm no body man but no airbag deployment, no damaged windshield, no damaged core support, doesn't look like subframe damage, I'd call it eminently repairable for less than that. But it might be close.

Last edited:

TheGovernment

Established Member
It's repairable but I bet it's a write off. If the A-pillar is bent, which it could be, thats likely a 3-4 hour pull, lplus the possible side frame. you've got round 8-10K worth of damage, the fender looks like it hit the hood, likely a re-paint, your front bumper could have the tabs ripped off the corners. can;t tell but I'd bet both rims need refinishing as well.

I'm not sure how it works in the US but in Manitoba, it would be very close to a write off.

Joeysnk

Established Member
I know the pictures are bad but yes the windshield is is shot on the passenger side and both rims are cracked with other visible dents in them.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
Sorry for your loss...

If parts and labor go over 50% forget it.

How many miles?

If they do total it what's the plan? Keep the car take a smaller check or bigger check and they take car? Although it's more of a hassle you'd probably make more on selling parts considering the type of car it is.

Side frame?

Unibody = pieces of sheet metal with hundreds of spot welds.

Joeysnk

Established Member
Sorry for your loss...

If parts and labor go over 50% forget it.

How many miles?

If they do total it what's the plan? Keep the car take a smaller check or bigger check and they take car? Although it's more of a hassle you'd probably make more on selling parts considering the type of car it is.

Side frame?

Unibody = pieces of sheet metal with hundreds of spot welds.

That's what I am trying to figure out. It has 66k miles. I have only had it for 2.5 years so I still owe some on it. This is my first accident , was just seeing what others have done in this situation.

Snake Plissken

Established Member
That's what I am trying to figure out. It has 66k miles. I have only had it for 2.5 years so I still owe some on it. This is my first accident , was just seeing what others have done in this situation.

Opps, I that you owned it.

I've never been in that situation with my Cobra (thank god!) Grandma ran into you so her insurance should pay-up. The only thing to do now is wait. These things take time.

Good luck!

I did have a lady turn left in front of me when I was doing about 50 mph in my Ranger. I remember seeing a little girl looking out the passenger door right at me, I swerved hard to the left and tipped over on my side and slid down the road. It came close to me T-boning that car; the little girl may not have lived. That would have been hard to live with...

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Though not as bad as yours, mine was hit in a similar way and the same parts will need to be replaced (door, rear quarter for mine). Mine was not totaled and I think the cost to repair was around $4-5k. You can't really tell from the picture, but the rear quarter was creased and had to be replaced. It seems yours will need what mine did, plus a front fender. I don't know how much more that will cost but I can't imagine too much since they'll probably source the parts from a used car.

IMG_0484.jpg

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Cosmetic damage.

You're fortunate Obama care doesn't pertain to cars, you'd be paying for this out of pocket.

Last edited:

03 KB Sonic Blue

Established Member
Wife and I are going through same thing as you. Takes almost 70-75% before they will total car. At least with Allstate who was driver at fault insurer. So unless frame damage don't expect it to be totaled.

Also fight for diminished value. Wife's car was just fixed and a adjuster has to come out and write up a report based on before accident value and after accident value now that repairs have been completed.

Users who are viewing this thread