Is it legal to search a parked car?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
FordRacing200 said:
Hmm....I think we're not hearing the whole story, was this party of 6 people in or outside the home? did the officer show up in a police car or just come walking down the street, did the officer come from a neighbors house THEN search the car????

Everyone was inside the house no one was outside at all and we didnt even have any loud music playing. He showed up in a police car with like 2 other cop cars, and I watched as he went through my car we were with a couple 21+ so we had alcohol but I know I wasnt drinking (dont drink when I drive) but no one was hammered or anything like that and it was pretty much just the couple 21+ drinking because everyone else had to drive.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
If he didn't bust out a window...someone let him in that car. Is it legal to ask to search your car??? Yeah...you just don't have to let him in the car. Anytime a cop says..."youre just making it easier on everybody"...that means him, not you.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
If he didn't bust out a window...someone let him in that car. Is it legal to ask to search your car??? Yeah...you just don't have to let him in the car. Anytime a cop says..."youre just making it easier on everybody"...that means him, not you.

Indeed you do not have to grant a L.E.O. permission to search your car. That is your right to prevent unreasonable search and seizures.

You are making it easier on the L.E.O. if there is something illegal in your car by granting him permission to search. You are making it easier on yourself if there is nothing in the vehicle and you grant him permission to search, then you dont have to wait for a dog or for the L.E.O. to develop P.C. or get a warrant.

Smokey1226

Dirrty North
Established Member
Im not one to stick my head into others business but dude straight up if i were in your shoes i would personally take my dad/mom and any other friends that were their with you that seen it, walk into the police station and tell them you want answers or you takeing this to upper mangement or court or w/e you choose. But that is BS. Please forgive me fellow officers for my comment but some PO's get a real big head/ego when they put a badge on. They think they can do w/e and get away with it. That aint happening with me. Not trying to sound like a tough guy but they have to follow the law just like all of us.

Last edited:

SHONOFF98

Established Member
I think I'm definately going to go to the station and ask to get a copy of the report if I can and see what exactly was their reasoning and what not, but it seemed like to me when I called that they were kind of putting it off trying to avoid everything which to me seems like they might have realized they f'ed up and I called them out on it or what not. Another question, If/when I get a copy of the report but it doesnt say anything about searching a yellow mustang, do they have to document everything they do like that?

Tyler

vegaspackerfan

13 NFL championships!
Established Member
Correct me if i'm wrong. You watched the officers search your car, and you did not ask them why?

If it was my car and I did nothing wrong I would have walked outside and asked the officers if I could help them with anything. And then asked for an expliniation as to what they were doing and looking for.

Just my 0.02 worth.

VPF

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Yea maybe if there wasn't underagers drinking then I would have but I guess thats my fault for being there then

Tyler

REPOEDsDIME

w00000t w00t!
Established Member
The rest of the story is probably not being told. You still haven't answered any of the important questions.... fill us in buddy.

5.4 speedster

Banned
what i love about this section is how the phrase- "this can't be the whole story" pops up.

face it guys some cops or "LEO's' abuse their power on a daily basis. that might not of been the case here but it does happen

I should know, Sheriff Joe Arpaio of arizona lives next door

virginiafiveo

L8RBTCH
Established Member
don't need a slim jim, coat hanger is all you need.....pull back on the window a little and stick the coat hanger in, loop around the door handle and pull......if you have those billett lock caps that have something to grab ahold of, then just a looped coat hanger and pull up....that's it......not difficult at all.....20 seconds for a billett, maybe a minute or 2 if you've done the door handle one before.

sorry if this isn't constructive guys, first time in the donut shop, just trying to answer the question.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
5.4 speedster said:
what i love about this section is how the phrase- "this can't be the whole story" pops up.

I am glad you love it, but the vast majority of times when it is stated, more information magically comes forward. When a story isnt cogent there is typically pieces left out because it serves the authors purpose.

5.4 speedster said:
face it guys some cops or "LEO's' abuse their power on a daily basis. that might not of been the case here but it does happen

So there is a set of L.E.O.s that go out every single day and abuse the power entrusted to them? There isnt a single day that this "group of L.E.O.s" doesnt abuse their power? :rolleyes:

5.4 speedster said:
I should know, Sheriff Joe Arpaio of arizona lives next door

What does that have to do with anything? :shrug:

Floridalawdog

Established Member
virginiafiveo said:
don't need a slim jim, coat hanger is all you need.....pull back on the window a little and stick the coat hanger in, loop around the door handle and pull......if you have those billett lock caps that have something to grab ahold of, then just a looped coat hanger and pull up....that's it......not difficult at all.....20 seconds for a billett, maybe a minute or 2 if you've done the door handle one before.

sorry if this isn't constructive guys, first time in the donut shop, just trying to answer the question.
Well, if cops are gonna go that far, I will just keep a piece of spark plug on me for when I decide to do a burglary. Its much easier.

Yellow98SVT

T-trim, bitches
Established Member
REPOEDsDIME said:
The rest of the story is probably not being told. You still haven't answered any of the important questions.... fill us in buddy.

Naw, the story is all there: he was at a house with underage drinkers...LEO's showed up and were around his car...he walked out front and one of the officers asked to search his car. He allowed the officer into his car and now he feels he got duped somehow. He's mad because he thinks the police officer got over on him.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Yellow98SVT said:
Naw, the story is all there: he was at a house with underage drinkers...LEO's showed up and were around his car...he walked out front and one of the officers asked to search his car. He allowed the officer into his car and now he feels he got duped somehow. He's mad because he thinks the police officer got over on him.

AHAHAH your a tool bag...ANYWAYS just found out they went through one of the other cars there and made a mess in it (they left fast food wrappers in it and opened a thing of pudding and threw it all over his (inside) car), he took pictures of what they did and we are going up to the station to get a copy of the police report because I'm betting they didn't report anything of that nature IF they even made a report

Last edited:

FBMphil

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
AHAHAH your a tool bag...ANYWAYS just found out they went through one of the other cars there and made a mess in it (they left fast food wrappers in it and opened a thing of pudding and threw it all over his (inside) car), he took pictures of what they did and we are going up to the station to get a copy of the police report because I'm betting they didn't report anything of that nature IF they even made a report
I'm sure a cop is gonna throw pudding and food wrappers around inside your car. Your dumbass probably left it unlocked and someone rummaged through it looking for shit to take, and made a mess when they found nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread